Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 2138 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just switched to premium and the difference is noticeable.

The low speed stumble/bog is reduced, full throttle acceleration doesn't surge nearly as much, and on the freeway, part throttle response is improved, and the PowerShift doesn't hunt gears as often.

Keep in mind though, here in California our regular is 87, and premium only 91 (AKI), so our premium is more like mid grade elsewhere.

Another point...

I haven't driven enough since switching, but I wouldn't be surprised if my MPG is improved.

Now that gas is $4.27 for regular here, the additional .20 is a smaller percentage of the total, and takes less additional MPG to cover the cost of premium.
Although I generally haven't believed in the "premium gets higher MPG" idea, I must admit that the last two tankfuls of premium have yielded about 5% higher MPG's. I was thinking we might have gone back to summer blend gas, but maybe not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
87 vs 89 vs 93 Octane Fuel Economy

Is it OK to run 89 or 93 oct fuel in a 2012 (gen 3) Focus? I have seen some post better MPG with higher octane and wonder if it makes any difference. Will it cause any motor issues?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
It will not damage the engine. We're still fighting over the mileage 1/2 of the debate.

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
it will work fine, but there are mixed results as to whether it actually helps, i did a lot of testing when I first got the car and found no difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The mind was pondering it as my MPG is slow to rise. Just now getting an average of over 29mpg with just under 2k miles. 65%/35% hwy city is realistic.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Who cares? You MPG nuts drive me crazy. The manual states that the car was designed to run on 87 octane but could perform better on a higher octane. Basically the car may not retard timing as much if you have a slightly higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The mind was pondering it as my MPG is slow to rise. Just now getting an average of over 29mpg with just under 2k miles. 65%/35% hwy city is realistic.
I think ethanol content tends to be the more important factor. More ethanol tends to lower fuel economy a bit. Depending on where you live, you may find that regular 87 octane has 10% ethanol, whereas premium (either 91/93/94) have no ethanol. Since ethanol has about 2/3 the energy that gasoline does, you can expect around a 3% drop in econ from using a 10% blend.

But I know many will disagree and get all angry about how using premium is much better, etc etc. Haven't seen much scientific evidence to back this up, though...

I'd say just use regular, unless you can get premium for almost the same price. And even then, only if there's less ethanol content.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Who cares? You MPG nuts drive me crazy. The manual states that the car was designed to run on 87 octane but could perform better on a higher octane. Basically the car may not retard timing as much if you have a slightly higher octane fuel.
Clearly I do as an extra 5+mpg would make a difference to someone that drives 25-30k miles a year. Understand the timing concept, but wasn't sure if there was some other federally mandated tree hugging gadget that might cause an issue with the motor or related components. Thanks for your smart ass reply.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm currently experimenting with 93 octane fuel now. I haven't noticed any increase in MPG yet. I did notice however my trans shifts better for some reason

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Clearly I do as an extra 5+mpg would make a difference to someone that drives 25-30k miles a year. Understand the timing concept, but wasn't sure if there was some other federally mandated tree hugging gadget that might cause an issue with the motor or related components. Thanks for your smart ass reply.
I got my car in July and I'm already past 22k miles. I'd recommend looking for ethanol-free gas stations in your area.

My gas mileage went up almost 5mpg when switching from winter blend 87 to ethanol-free 91. I'll try ethanol-free 87 soon, just as a price comparison kind of thing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If premium fuel made a 5+mpg difference you better believe Ford would recommend premium fuel. A higher octane merely has a higher ignition temp, you WILL NOT gain 5+mpg from it. The only reason you would use a higher octane fuel is to offset KR caused by pre-ignition or to advance timing for a performance benefit.

I got my car in July and I'm already past 22k miles. I'd recommend looking for ethanol-free gas stations in your area.

My gas mileage went up almost 5mpg when switching from winter blend 87 to ethanol-free 91. I'll try ethanol-free 87 soon, just as a price comparison kind of thing.
Good idea. There is actually a station on my way home that claims ethanol free. I might give it a try... depending on price. I live in MN, and almost ALL pump gas contains ethanol and I have a feeling there is going to be a price penalty to have it with out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
They need to take the corn back to the grocery store as it does far more good there!! Although our Focus has not arrived yet, our other Fords always go down in mileage at least 2 or 3 mpg when using ethanol blend and/or winter gas. Definitely couldn't hurt using 93 octane except the wallet. I will probably experiment some with it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

There are so many variables that it's hard to impossible to do a truly scientific test when you don't have control over most of the variables.

For one, most stations list the gas as having "Up to 10% ethanol" which means it could be anywhere from 0 to 10 and there's no way I know of to tell the difference. This variable alone could result in about 3%-4% difference in mpg.

Another is the weather and that could be as much as 20% or even more difference with all else being the same. Again, we don't have much control over the weather.

Then there's traffic and it's impact on stop-and-go driving. This could be 20% or more by itself.

Of course there the variable behind the wheel and that could be more than 30%.

In summary, when all these variables and a few others are taken into account, the mpg could vary, in a car like the 2012 FF, from less than 20mpg to just about 50mpg so parsing the cause of a 2-3mpg difference is just about impossible...

Brian

·
Registered
47 Posts
If premium fuel made a 5+mpg difference you better believe Ford would recommend premium fuel. A higher octane merely has a higher ignition temp, you WILL NOT gain 5+mpg from it. The only reason you would use a higher octane fuel is to offset KR caused by pre-ignition or to advance timing for a performance benefit.

I'm also clear that premium won't make a 5+mpg difference. I am simply expecting more than 29mpg long term and with break-in and better fuel if it can be achieved I will look to that.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am on my second tank of Shell V-Power/Optimax (premium91), and it appears to be at least a 3 mpg increase. On my regular back and forth to work I never got over 30mpg usually around 28. My first tank was 31.5mpg calculated not dash readout. It looks like my second tank could be even better. This was already being discussed in this thread with an interesting video.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284662

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am on my second tank of Shell V-Power/Optimax (premium91), and it appears to be at least a 3 mpg increase. On my regular back and forth to work I never got over 30mpg usually around 28. My first tank was 31.5mpg calculated not dash readout. It looks like my second tank could be even better. This was already being discussed in this thread with an interesting video.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284662
I've ran 87,91 and 92 just to see if I could feel any butt dyno difference in the car. While doing this, I didn't notice any fuel mpg increase nor decrease.

If you are noticing a difference, there are other factors at play.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've ran 87,91 and 92 just to see if I could feel any butt dyno difference in the car. While doing this, I didn't notice any fuel mpg increase nor decrease.

If you are noticing a difference, there are other factors at play.
I think the only factor at play is the TI-VCT engine that Ford says will see improved performance with premium fuel. Seems cut and dry to me. Plus the video seems to demonstrate that some cars are actually able to gain HP and TQ with premium fuel, something I thought was only a myth. Which without high tech computer control and variable cam timing would be just a myth. Unless the video is an elaborate, slick, internet hoax, but I don't think so. Also it appears to take several tanks or an ECU reset to see the difference.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think the only factor at play is the TI-VCT engine that Ford says will see improved performance with premium fuel. Seems cut and dry to me. Plus the video seems to demonstrate that some cars are actually able to gain HP and TQ with premium fuel, something I thought was only a myth. Which without high tech computer control and variable cam timing would be just a myth. Unless the video is an elaborate, slick, internet hoax, but I don't think so. Also it appears to take several tanks or an ECU reset to see the difference.
Back in the days of carbs and none adjustable cam timing, that absolutely was a myth. You could twist your distributor and advance your timing so that you needed a higher octane... but an untouched car should run the fuel it is recommended to run.

As AZfocus has pointed out, with current technology which can adjust fueling and timing on the fly, it is very possible to notice a performance increase if the car has been designed to do so. There will always be the true ecoboxs that were designed to only run 87, and anything more will only waste your money. However, vehicles even like our little Focus here, sort of empower you as the owner to decide whether you'd like to save the money at the pump or potentially enjoy a slight pump in hp.

·
Registered
663 Posts
However, vehicles even like our little Focus here, sort of empower you as the owner to decide whether you'd like to save the money at the pump or potentially enjoy a slight pump in hp.
Prior to the V-Pover/Optimax I had run a tank of Chevron 91 and Circle K 91 and saw little to no difference. So I can't say that the V-Power is that much better than the other premiums since others in other threads have said it takes multiple tanks for the ECU to adapt without a reset. But if this trend in MPG maintains, I will continue to use premium as it is a 5% premium at the pump, that appears to yield near a 10% increase in MPG. Others have said their cost per mile is less with premium. Plus, I think the car runs better on premium.

81 - 100 of 2138 Posts