Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2121 - 2138 of 2138 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hope to stay with at least 91 from now on, it runs well with it.

Driving it on 87 octane, my car feels like a worn out dog drastically panting for water lol!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I’ve never tried 93, bc it’s generally $0.70 more per gallon, but I found it reasonably priced at Sam’s. I’m on a tank and a half of it, and I have to admit that it feels smoother, and more ready to run when I push it. I’m not going to see an MPG bump, because I keep putting my foot into it.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Has anyone gotten a tune for 93? or can you just add 93 without a tune?
You don't need a tune. However if you do get a tune eventually it will make even more difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use 91 and have no regrets. Performance is added, and mileage gains are positive. I make a one hour trip (one way) to get groceries, and set cruise control to test both 91, and methanol blends. I added about 80 or so miles running 91, so extra cost is totally worth the performance and mileage gains.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run 93. I run a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil through the gas tank after every 20-25 fill-ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Run only 93 from shell and the car gets better milage and noticeable better performance. Tried going with lesser fuel and had tons of detonation and sluggish behavior from the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With over 250K miles on my 2014 Ford Focus Titanium I decided to switch from 87 octane to 93 octane after reading various threads on the subject. Although, I have seen no significant improvement related to gas mileage the improvement in performance has been night and day.

The car seems to "shudder" considerably less on launch and overall pickup is significant. I never realized how much performance I was losing by using just regular gas. For the foreseeable future I don't see me returning to 87 octane.

33.7 Avg MPG
(25) Premium fillups
7,207 Miles tracked

·
Registered
39 Posts
yep. Same exact result and if you read the focus manual it says additional performance can be had by using 93 though it isn't necessary (of course they mean for the engine to run. not run better). I say it is necessary for anyone who values performance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Maybe cuz I'm old school but back when I was a kid one wouldn't dare put anything less than premium in a high-compression engine. That was asking for trouble. I realize technology and, I guess, a more even atomization of the fuel through GDI allows more room for using less-than-premium fuel... but it still hurts my soul to put anything less than premium into a car with 12:1 compression like the MkIII NA. It just does not seem right to my old brain. Annoyingly the "most premium" we get around here is 91. I gather that has something to do with our elevation here in West TX/NM/CO. Apparently 91 is pretty much the same as 93 at this altitude?

Reactions: oCoMiK

·
Registered
938 Posts
"Maybe cuz I'm old school but back when I was a kid one wouldn't dare put anything less than premium in a high-compression engine. That was asking for trouble."

Yes, that's old school thinking. I've put cheap 87 in mine forever and it runs like new at nearly 130K miles. It seems to have a tiny bit more performance with 91/93, but since it's generally $0.50+ more per gallon it's not worth it to me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, that's old school thinking. I've put cheap 87 in mine forever and it runs like new at nearly 130K miles. It seems to have a tiny bit more performance with 91/93, but since it's generally $0.50+ more per gallon it's not worth it to me.
Same, 87 here but on a rare occasion I'll put premium in if it's cheap enough or if I'm going into mountain territory (high rpms going up mountains - I'm usually in 3rd or 4th trying to get up I74 in colorado, less knock).

·
Registered
2014 Focus SE, manual trans
6 Posts
My car runs way better on 93 octane. My owner's manual says to run at least 91 for best results. No difference in mileage but big diff. in power.

2121 - 2138 of 2138 Posts