Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting one of the xiosmotorworks turbo kits. Does anyone have any experience with any of their systems? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...? Hey Tom, what happened to the HIBOOST kit.... Roush or Hiboost ?? Same kit??

·
Registered
305 Posts
I dont think the hiboost is for the zetec. Although it does look like a real nice kit.

·
Registered
216 Posts
From what I have heard/read, the XIOS isnt ready to be released yet. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was browsing the Xios website yesterday and they have 3 different stages available right now, and the price ranges are good. I like this kit because you can keep your stock emissions equipment in place which means no last minute rigging to pass emissions testing. The bad thing about the Roush kit...it doesn't fit my 2.3 NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Better luck next time...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i think the only kit that is waiting to be released is the svt kit, the header for it looks like it's shorty header that has been modified.

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
If you run the CAT with an AF of between 11.6 and 12.0 you will be buying MANY CATs every year this much fuel going through a CAT is insane dont even try it you could stop up the CAT and loose an engine from it

Tom

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Damage said:
I dont think the hiboost is for the zetec. Although it does look like a real nice kit.
Looking at FocusTuner27's sig, he has a 2.3...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1turbofocus said:
If you run the CAT with an AF of between 11.6 and 12.0 you will be buying MANY CATs every year this much fuel going through a CAT is insane dont even try it you could stop up the CAT and loose an engine from it

Tom

Do you think that with a good tune it would be a problem?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just hate the thought of having to switch over a bunch of things to pass emissions . I'm sure I could think of a "quick and easy" way to pass. Buuuuuuut, then that defeats the purpose and convenience of having a smog legal turbo setup. Still, the upsides of the Xios kit are that it removes the need for a turbo manifold and seems to make life a little easier when making adjustments to pass emissions. I'm thinking I could run a race header and straight pipe normally and when emissions rolls around I could put a CAT in place for temporary compliance, then I don't have to worry about CAT, and possible turbo, failure

·
FF Affiliate
31,182 Posts
1turbofocus said:
If you run the CAT with an AF of between 11.6 and 12.0 you will be buying MANY CATs every year this much fuel going through a CAT is insane dont even try it you could stop up the CAT and loose an engine from it Tom
Man you got to love when this happens , This found its way to FJ and like allways they dont have the good sence or balls to just post here , If they did i wouldnt bash on them so much but sence they feel they have to make there sly comments where i cannot post here it goes, First to randys he states "

Originally posted by FocusSportVP on FJ
I don't think I believe that having 11.6 - 12.0 A/F will cause cats to die early. I run a cat on my 1.8T and it's been fine for years with low to mid 11s A/F ratio.[/B]
Randy first you have to make enough power to cause a rich condition and one that makes enough power for it to work on the CAT , I cannot beleive you made this statement ? ? ?

Then dudly posted

Originally posted Dudly on FJ [/i

I read Tom's post over on FF regarding the cat. I considered replying to ask how exactly a failed cat would kill the engine

Keep in mind that for a street-driven car, you'll spend 99% of your time at a stoichiometric AFR. My AFR dips into the 10's at some spots (I'm planning a complete re-do of my intake system, so I haven't bothered to dial-in my MAF perfectly), and my cat is just fine. I've only got about 11,000 miles on my XIOS kit, though.

In general, constant WOT is bad for the cat. It doesn't matter if you're running turbo, supercharger, or naturally aspirated. The only way to keep WOT operation cat-friendly would be to run one hell of a goofy tune, i.e. you'd want a stoichiometric AFR at WOT. I have no idea what that would do to the timing you'd need to run, or if it's even possible to run a Focus within all those contraints. As you pull timing (because of the lean WOT AFR), your EGT's will become a problem at some point, so you'll either melt the cat from excessive fuel or you'll melt the cat from insanely high EGT's. Personally, I'd rather melt the cat from excessive fuel, since high EGT's will kill the engine.

I don't see how running a cat with the XIOS kit will put the engine at risk - the turbo will be at risk, though. If the cat fails, you'll damage the turbine, but even if you did so much damage to the turbo that the compressor side somehow threw out some shrapnel, the debris wouldn't get past the intercooler.

Maybe a clogged/failed cat will damage the engine in some way - I dunno.

Bottom line is that if you want the absolute best safety, just install a race header or off-road pipe (or use a gutted cat)..[/B]

Its ashame that Dudly knows more then (randy)FS does when it comes to CATs and what causes WOT does to CAT and why CATs can fail

Dudly is correct at WOT the AF goes way up with boost as well as the EGT this combination works hard on the CAT and will cause it to die early. Now i dodnt know about the rest of you but i installed my turbo to got WOT , if your installing a turbo just to cruise then you will get about 80,000 miles out of your CAT , doing with your car what a turbo is added for you will see much much less

Am i bashing on randy YES I AM when a person makes statements about things like he does and claimes to be a tuner yet does not know the effects of his tune has on engines then it makes all tuners look bad

Dudly brought up another point a NA car will not see the same damage to the CAT because it runs in the 12.8 to 13.2 AF and the CAT can deal with keeping this burned off as well as the EGTs are lower with NA

How can a CAT kill an engine ? As the CAT starts going bad in most cases it starts to stop up as you use boost the back psi grows MUCH more then with NA this back PSI causes even higher EGT and can burn a valve or a piston as the EGT increase

Dudly your only hurting the focus community by not posting here at FF your welcome here any time , why cant you post at both ?

Tom

·
Registered
191 Posts
finalley said:
Looking at FocusTuner27's sig, he has a 2.3...
LOL, great catch! While an interesting read on the effects of A/F ratio on catalytic converters, what really needs to be addressed next is making sure the OP knows what he has under the hood and what his correct options are [:)]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info Tom. There's a small part of me thinking that it would be good to go with Cosworth D-Power kits or piece together an all motor build being that NA is easier on the engine...but, there's just something about being able to say, "...yeah, it's a trubo", that's just..cool. Btw, I hope this post isn't starting a forum war [chair]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
jr_psychologist said:
LOL, great catch! While an interesting read on the effects of A/F ratio on catalytic converters, what really needs to be addressed next is making sure the OP knows what he has under the hood and what his correct options are [:)]
I was under the impression from Xios that the kit was compatible with the 2.3, I am sending them an email now though to check on this...hoping that maybe if the wasn't compatible, that it magically will be now...just because I emailed them.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
FocusTuner27 said:
yeah, it's a trubo", that's just..cool. Btw, I hope this post isn't starting a forum war [chair]
Oh no, it was started LOONG before your 15 posts.....[eek]

·
Registered
38 Posts
whats sad.. after hanging out here a few weeks.. I wouldn't do buisness with Tom or Focus sport. hate if you must, but get over it guys, and move the hell on...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
wow scorticus, considering that both randy and tom are on top in our world of the focus thats a bold statement, and bad blood is bad blood and your 17 post isn't gonna do shit to fix it

·
Registered
38 Posts
worst that can happen is they throw me off..

I've tried to read and learn from several posts here that turned into pissing contests between FS and FP.

I'll just buy my pro racer package elsewhere and maybe do my learning elsewhere if I have to.
funny I quit going to the zx2 board over immaturity.. but this make that look like nothing.
I really wanted to read about alc/water injection, but that post was ruined, and locked.
2 guesses why...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts