Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone has aquired 17" set of wheels to use for all season tires? Or for snow tires?
Mainly interested in the difference of the larger air volume in the tires changing the ride.

I ask because I wonder if it would make more sense to go for an extra set of 17" wheels and they would be more universal.. I could get all season on them and save the Summer only tires for Summer?

I used to just keep the Summer only on my SVT Contour all year round.. But ??

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Really you don't want to be driving around on the summer only tires below 40F as the rubber compounds that grip really well when it's above that temperature tend to go rock hard and lose grip below this. It might be ok if it's just cold and dry, but hit a patch of snow or ice and it's not good.

I have a set of 17x7" Ford Focus wheels that I've been using on the ST for winter, although they only have all season tires on them right now instead of dedicated winters.

The ride is a bit softer, but the handling is also reduced, not a big concern in winter, but in the spring/ summer when it's still borderline as far as the weather is concerned going around a corner that the summers would take easily is a bit tougher for them.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand warnings about safety..
I used the stock Summer Ultra High Performance only tires year round in Milwaukee for 13 years on my Contour SVT. Winter snow, cold,ice...
Never had any issues.
I guess coming from driving rear wheel drive cars with bald tires all Winter long.. Back in the 60's gives me a better appreciation of just how fantastic any tires on a front wheel drive car which actually have tread on them.. can be. [rant]
LOL

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Havent really seen it on a ST yet, but It's fairly common on mazdaspeed3s.

17"s are usually quite a bit lighter than 18" wheels which can noticeably improve acceleration. IIRC, the calculation is 1lb per wheel = 10hp worth of performance.

Also, tires for 17" wheels are considerably cheaper. If you get some decent tires with stiff sidewalls, the performance difference in cornering is usually negligible.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah I am beginning to be convinced I should get some 'other' tires for Winter.
The thing is I can just buy Contis all season and forget about it all, stick them on the 18's on the car and go.

Or I can buy some extra wheels and put snow tires on them.
The wheels I like are the stock ones. but snow tires for those run an extra $100+ for four of them compared to 17's
I can buy a set of cheaper 17" rims and snow tires for $1,200 shipped. With Michelin Ice X 215/50/17 And then I can watch for some OE 17's I like later on.

Or I can buy a set of 18" in black like the stock wheels and spend $900 for tires then mount etc more money. Though i for certain will NOT add the TPMS on Winter wheels. I only need them from Nov 15 to march 15 4 months i can live with the light and chime. And then moving back to my regular wheels means I do not have to reset the TPMS in the car at all.
If I could find a set of OE takeoffs 17" with the stock all season tires,, I might swing through the first Winter on them.

I have MONTHS to think about this. [goofydrunk]

Added: So now I think no snow tires. What I will do is buy the black OEM Ford Racing wheels 18" with the same design as the stock ST wheels. And put Conti all season on them Run THOSE from September to May, And save the Summer only for real Summer June to August.

OR, first buy the Conti and put them on the Rado grey wheels for this Winter. And then I can later buy the wheels, maybe find some OE wheels cheaper and put the taken off Summer tires on the new to me wheels with NO TPMS . then I have the TPMS working 8 months a year with my original wheels.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The stock 16" SE wheels also will fit. The clearance to the front brake caliper is very small, but it clears.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
After my current Michelin Pilots wear out I'm considering a drop to 17"s on my STI due to tire price and a little more sidewall will help with the bad roads around here plus the STI does get some drifting time on the dirt when road tripping. 18s look the best but their practicality lacks sometimes.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am also looking into some 17's. I'm just not an 18 kind of guy. All of the other sportcompacts I've had were on 17's. Both of my svts were and they handled great.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am also looking into some 17's. I'm just not an 18 kind of guy. All of the other sportcompacts I've had were on 17's. Both of my svts were and they handled great.
What is interesting is the racing ST comes with 17" wheels and not 18"s.

The above comment was my error. Sorry I do not want to delete it, but please ignore it. thanks.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
What is interesting is the racing ST comes with 17" wheels and not 18"s.
The ST-R came with 18" wheels.

specs
Powertrain
2.0L EcoBoost I-4
Ford Racing custom exhaust
Ford Racing engine calibration
Ford Racing high capacity radiator
Ford Racing clutch
Ford Racing oil to air oil cooler
Remote oil filter
6-speed manual transmission with Ford Racing limited-slip differential
Chassis
Seam-welded steel unibody with integrated FIA certified safety cage.
Structural perofrmance: over 20,000 lb.-ft/degree (torsional)
Front Suspension
AST performance coilover adjustable dampers
Adjustable camber plates
Ford Racing upgraded sway bar with adjustable end links
Upgraded bushings
Rear Suspension
AST performance adjustable dampers
Control-blade multilink rear suspension
Ford Racing upgraded sway bars with adjustable end links
Upgraded bushings
Steering
Electric steering with unique Ford Racing calibration
Brakes
Front brakes 320 mm with 2-piece rotors and race pads
Production rear brakes with race pads
Ford ABS with unique Ford Racing calibration
Wheels & Tires
18" BBS CF 1 piece cast alloy wheel (Anthracite)
Hoosier 225/40-18 R6 race tires
Fuel System
ATL 18 gallon fuel cell with custom single dry break system
Exterior
2012 Focus ST body kit
Brake cooling ducts
Hood pins
Interior
Ford Racing lightweight wiring harnesses
Recaro Pro Racer HANS racing Seat
AIM MXL Pista GPS based data system
Ford Racing short throw shifter
Ford Racing fire suppression system
Ford Racing 6-point safety harness
Ford Racing driver safety nets
Ford Racing steering wheel with quick release
Custom carbon fiber center panel with switches
Color
Body in White
http://www.fordracingparts.com/competition/FocusSTR.asp

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have ordered a set of 17/8.5
Reason is that I'm probably going to do a bunch of track days with the Focus and there is a lot more choice in regards to slicks in 17" compared to 18"

I'm thinking of either 245/40/17 or 245/45/17, depending on the brand (Kumho, Toyo, Hoosier, Hankook).
The 17" are only about 16lbs which is close to 9lbs lighter than stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
has anyone put 17" steel wheels on their ST for winter/AW tires?
I was going to put 17" steel rims cause 16's don't fit on my 2014, but ended up buying a nicer set of discountinued rims for $4 more (each) than the steel rims. They are lighter and look better.[wiggle]

The 17" steelies were harder to find locally. I would have preferred the 16" steelies but oh well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have 18 inch rims with 22 inch tires. i generally like the look and have used them all season (bad idea by the way i slide in an inch of snow) its all preference.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the Ford Racing black painted 18" ST wheels to put snow tires on. The tires are Bridgestone Blizzak LM-40 234=5/40/18
I am thinking they will get worn out in two seasons.. maybe three at most.

·
Torretto!
3,878 Posts
Im thinking of using these 17's for winters.....sorry to revive an old post...either that or get all weather wires for the 18's

Attachments

Reactions: Godzukidan
1 - 20 of 23 Posts