Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in my brochure that the A/V inputs with the MFT setup can accommodate a gaming system... which is pretty appealing to me.

I'm not in my Focus yet, and I come from the dog eat dog world of the Mazdaspeed 3... I've been to a number of track events with friends and I gotta tell ya, if I could beat the heat waiting on watching friends run in drift events or autox by relaxing in my Focus and playing StarFox 64 or something, I'd be all over it.

So how's it work exactly and what do you guys think of the system?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow that's awesome. Can you power it on the 12v jacks?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow that's awesome. Can you power it on the 12v jacks?

Posted via FF Mobile
You can if you buy a 12v AC/DC inverter to plug it into.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Coolest car ever. Now which console do I put in there...
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've watched a movie off my iPhone. I was having problems with audio until I realized I should just ONLY plug in the phone to the AV jack and not also the USB jack at the same time.

Worked fine. Except that the silly armrest plugs the cord notch in the front on the Ti's. I wonder if one could buy a different part from the other model car that doesn't have the plug in it...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've watched a movie off my iPhone. I was having problems with audio until I realized I should just ONLY plug in the phone to the AV jack and not also the USB jack at the same time.

Worked fine. Except that the silly armrest plugs the cord notch in the front on the Ti's. I wonder if one could buy a different part from the other model car that doesn't have the plug in it...
I don't have my Ti yet so I can't confirm personally but according to what I've read in other posts the Ti does have the notch for cords. See the last post here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260915&page=11

·
Registered
71 Posts

Well, apparently pasting a link in my previous response attempt got it flagged to require moderator approval before posting. Here's another attempt at it.

Copied from another post I saw on the forums:

"That notch between the two latch points is the wire trough for SEL/Titanium models... It's just not off to one side and as obvious as the one on the SE. The wires will run right through it and tuck under the release nicely along the console. I wish my SE had this subtle rather than obvious trough/hole that routes my wires toward the passenger and looks like an afterthought..."

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd like to buy another armrest that's shorter so it doesn't push on the cups in my cupholder. Not blocking the cord notch would just be a bonus. :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Can you run this while driving? (Obviously not as the driver, but for passengers) Or is there some sort of safety override.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hey anyone have a T mobile vibrant (t-959) or more specifically a Telus Fascinate (T-959D) phone and are successfully using video output? I've tried and none of the cords I have tried actually work. Supposedly you need one for the 3.5mm headphone jack like an old style camcorder. I have a slingbox and the android app - it would be awesome to watch a baseball game or something while waiting to pick someone up...lol

·
Banned
363 Posts
I read in my brochure that the A/V inputs with the MFT setup can accommodate a gaming system... which is pretty appealing to me.

I'm not in my Focus yet, and I come from the dog eat dog world of the Mazdaspeed 3... I've been to a number of track events with friends and I gotta tell ya, if I could beat the heat waiting on watching friends run in drift events or autox by relaxing in my Focus and playing StarFox 64 or something, I'd be all over it.

So how's it work exactly and what do you guys think of the system?
since you asked, I personally think it is a piece of shit and can't wait to get rid of this car.... Wish I'd have skipped the entire MFT system as all it has been is problems. Eight trips to the dealership, 2 apim replacements, a screen replacement, current software updates and all I have are blackscreens and reboots. Now they are replacing wiring and just throwing parts at it.

Intersting because I am thinking of an '11 speed3 as a replacement.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It would be sweet if you could use the steering wheel and pedals in the car to control the game.
OMG ... surely someone will figure out a hack for that!! [driving]

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't have my Ti yet so I can't confirm personally but according to what I've read in other posts the Ti does have the notch for cords. See the last post here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260915&page=11
Oh yeah, there's a notch. Just like those photos show. (msg #132, btw) But what they don't show is the plug in the armrest part that flips up.

Forgive the horrible photo, but this is looking at the underside of the armrest. You see the plug (thing in the center) which perfectly fills that notch. And if you just cut the plug out, the locking teeth (the pair of three vertical lines on either side of plug) of the latch can't engage if something is in the slot anyway as the latch has no room for a cord coming out of it. With the spring that's in it, the armrest will go up if it's not latched.

I'm thinking of removing the plug and cutting a half circle in the bottom of the latch for a cord to come out. I'd feel better about it if I could get the replacement part easily. But on fordparts.com, the whole armrest thing seems to be a single purchase for about $200, even though there are certainly sub-parts there.

Though... if you're really just watching a movie, it isn't a huge deal as you can't be driving. But, I'd like to hook my phone up when I drive to work... the BT audio is working great, but I've got two hours of commute each day and I'd like it to be my battery recharging time too. And, I don't want my phone IN the armrest for the commute. I don't care where it is when it's out and admittedly, there isn't a good place for it, but I don't want it in the armrest.

You know... the 12V socket and the little storage place right in front of the cup holders (where the seat heaters are if you have them) is removable. The just have two inserts for the different options. I would be neat if someone would make a new mold for it that either made a larger third cupholder in the center or some other shaped storage thingy - like a coin organizer with a lid or something. Wishing makes it so, right?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
since you asked, I personally think it is a piece of shit and can't wait to get rid of this car.... Wish I'd have skipped the entire MFT system as all it has been is problems. Eight trips to the dealership, 2 apim replacements, a screen replacement, current software updates and all I have are blackscreens and reboots. Now they are replacing wiring and just throwing parts at it.

Intersting because I am thinking of an '11 speed3 as a replacement.
Odd. I've read about the problems you've had and despite that I'm excited and hope the MFT system is updated and functioning better than the experiences you've had.

If you plan on getting an MS3 I recommend keeping it stock. Especially on the 2nd generation, once you start adding even small bolt-ons the ECU overcompensates and your fuel pump will most likely stop meeting the demand put on it. I've heard of guys with nothing but an intake have fuel pressure issues and needing either $300 internals or a $600 pump to fix that issue.

Just a heads up, my MS3 has been awesome, a lot of fun, but more headache than it's worth to modify.

Good luck with your endeavors though, it's a great car even though the Gen2 (or Gen"pu" as we call them, most of us Gen1 guys hate the look) is harder to mod safely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts