Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2002 Focus, 2.0L ZETEC with 5 speed transmission:

I have read the archives where oil has been discussed in great detail, but was wondering how many people are actually using 10w30 standard oil? Even it you took your vehicle to Jiffy Lube or similar quick change and they put in 10w30 for one oil change. What differences would be noticed. This was done on January 7, 2002, so the weather would be cold.

Would there be any difference in starting or running?

Would there be any difference in gas mileage?

Could there be any potential damage to the engine? If so what?

Has anyone damaged their engine by using a 10w30?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I use 5w30 in both the Contour and the Focus. Only Mobil 1 too!

My truck used 5w30 and I used 10w30 and no problems were ever found or came up with it.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
If damage is done, it will not be noticed until it's too late. If you drive your car normally with little hot rodding, you probably won't notice it.
The reason Jiffy Lube doesn't have 5w-20 is because Pennzoil and QuakerState don't have that weight(5w-20) yet so they give you the closet weight. They will also try to tell you that 5w-20 is "break in" oil and should not be used after 50K miles. Ya, I'm gonna believe some kid at a Jiffy Lube over engineers at Ford...[screwy]

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you sell your car at 70K miles, you probably don't care. However, considering that 75% of wear happens on a cold start, and that a 5w starts procection sooner that a 10w, it stands to reason that you are getting slightly more wear with a 10w. As someone said, by the time you realize that, it will be too late.

Also, unless you specifiy a 10w-30 at...say Jiffy Lube, they will put in the oil that is speced for the car. For example, my car has printed right on the oil filler cap, 5w-20. That is what they will put in. If they don't they are negligent. Just like they need to use the oil filter specified for your car, they need to use the oil speced for your car. If they don't they open themselves up to lawsuits.
The reason Jiffy Lube doesn't have 5w-20 is because Pennzoil and QuakerState don't have that weight(5w-20) yet
I just filled my car with Penzoil 5w-20 and I know Castrol has a 5w-20 as does Valvoline.
What they don't have is a syn or blend in that weight but will very soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are 2 main reasons Ford reccomends 5-20 or 5-30 oil:
1) Fuel economy. Even though you will notice little difference in the real world it does make a slight difference when Ford does EPA testing. And even though it is small, when you average it across all their vehicles it can make the difference between them meeting the CAFE standards or not.
2) Phosphorous content. Phosphorous from burned oil will eventually poison the cat over time and the heavier weigth 10-30 has much more phosphorous in it. And since they are required to warranty the emission system for longer and longer nowadays and the cat is very expensive this can greatly reduce their warranty costs.

Next time you have a bottle of both 10-30 & 5-30 open next to each other give 'em both a sniff. You can smell the additional phosphorous in the 10-30. It's kind of a rotten egg type smell. Like the smell of 90W gear oil for those that have done gear swaps. Heavier weight oils have more phosphorous. It's actually a very good lubricant.

So I would recommend running what Ford recommends but I doubt you will do any damage if you run 10-30 oil. In fact I bet that the owners manual might even recommend 10-30 in some environments.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I'll agree with Joeb above he has it pretty much...the 10-30 will not harm your car in any way except perhaps to lower your milage slightly, almost imperceivable amount..and yes I'm running 10-30 now instead of 5-20, after an enormous amount of research on my part I think the 10-30 is BETTER for the life of the ENGINE, I agree with the cat statement made earlier

·
Registered
296 Posts
one other hting to think of is how the manufacturer changes recommendations from yeat to year. i had a 2001 se that used 5w-20. i now have a 2002 zts that uses 5w-20 and i also have a 2000 zts that uses 5w-30. why is this? there was no change to the engine, all 3 have zetec engines.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not that changes required diff oil recommend, but some changes have been made over the years to the Zetec engine. Two that I am aware of are the , the ported head in the '00 Zetec which was changed going forward and the improved throttle body on the '03 Zetec. Once again, I'm not suggesting that these changes required a new oil, only that the Zetec evolves over the years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could have been small changes like tighter bearing clearances, different bearing material, diferent piston rings or even a friction coating on the piston skirts. All this to allow the use of the 5-20 oil for the reasons I outlined above. CAFE and warranty costs can be very costly to the OEM's. If it will save them money they will do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This shop I went to put in 10w30 on my 2003 Zetec (ZX3). I always use 5w20 myself. Normally I can get between 330 and 400 miles on a tank, once in a while slightly more than 400. Since they put the 10w30, I don't think I've managed any more than 350, and it's usually much closer to 300. There may be other factors involved, but I doubt it.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^So of all the threads you might have come across whilst searching for "10-30", you decide to revive the oldest of them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts