Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it on ebay item number: 8076351902

Looking to get a CAI and dont wanna spend all the money for the AEM right now...should i wait or will this do the job?

anyone buy this yet?

thanx

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd say don't waste your time or money on a cheap intake that may not even fit right. Get the AEM it's a good product. You can find some deals on used AEM intake if you look around. Check the parts for sale section on this site.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I agree, best to wait on a quality part....you will thank yourself in the end.

On a side note, the Jackson Racing site installed a Volant CAI and it measured very little if any gain over the stock intake. They then put the stock one back in and put in a K&N Drop-in filter.....measured a gain of something like 7hp. Something to consider, really.....the stock intake IS a cold air intake, it just doesnt look as pretty.

My recommendation to you would be to get a K&N Drop-In while you save the cash for a good intake. Wal*Mart has them for 20 bucks And to get a more throaty sound from the intake, take that little snorkel (resonator) off the side of the intake box. It doesnt do a damn thing and your car will sound much better. That should suffice till you get the good stuff. [thumb]

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a drop in k&n but it keeps gettin loose...i got the connectors from home depot but they keep gettin untightened when i floor it or race...is the aem really that worth it? around $250 for some tubin and a filter? that seems a little steep with my calculations

·
Registered
291 Posts
i would go with the HIA intake if i could do it over. but im happy with my steeda one. i think its better then the k&n that my car came with. acording to the butt dyno

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had cold-air from ebay and no problem just you gotta be sure that the filter doesn't hang down but wait for the better deal on AEM

·
Registered
139 Posts
And to get a more throaty sound from the intake, take that little snorkel (resonator) off the side of the intake box. It doesnt do a damn thing and your car will sound much better. That should suffice till you get the good stuff.
Ok im a noob. go ahead and say it. But can u post a pic or explain better where this little snorkel is that i can remove?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
It sits right next to the windshield washer fluid reservoir.
It's the "S" shaped piece that comes out of the side of the stock airbox.

1) Remove the top of airbox, and the air filter.
2) Remove the lower portion of the air box.
(Pull up (hard) on the base of the airbox to pop it off it's mounts.)
3) The silencer will pull right out once you have reached that point. [;)]

And...actually...you don't have to pull the lower half of the airbox all the way out.
Just pull it up enough on the right hand side (facing the car) to angle it enough to get the silencer out.

Lemme find a pic of what you're looking for:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14229

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
It's not THAT flexible. Let's just assume one would want to keep it intact. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts