Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
A good friend of mine has them and his are terrible. Maybe he just got a bad set though?[dunno]

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My brother bought a set of lights like these off craigslist a few months ago for $40. what was funny was he got the headlights and tail lights along with the stock OEM lights the guy took off his car as well.

He put the lights on and the halos are just LEDs with a plastic ring you can bairly seem them. At night they arnt bad but they just arnt that bright.

He sold his stock lights and the stock set the guy gave him and made $100. he couldnt pass it up.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
529 Posts
so the light output is the bad part? they do give 3 options for the hids. they have fusion hid, xetronic elite, and xetronic digital g2. do either of you know what hid kit came with the ones you guys have seen?
I don't know off hand but I can investigate furthur.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
so the light output is the bad part? they do give 3 options for the hids. they have fusion hid, xetronic elite, and xetronic digital g2. do either of you know what hid kit came with the ones you guys have seen?
Well on my brother his has 2 things that i dont like about em. 1 is the halo ring is just really dim, its a plastic clear tube that just uses a single bright LED between the 2 sections that meet where the LED is. The LED just glowes inside the plastic ring and you can see air bubbles in the plastic ring.

WHen he got them the halos just had +and- going into them and i thought they were so cheap because the high voltage converter was missing or blown on them both and he would have to find replacements. Then when he hooked em up they arnt even neons just a high power 12V LED.

The good ones use bent neon tubes that need a high voltage converter to make them glow like the BMW OEM ones.

The second thing is the projectors the glass is not finished good or something so they just dont put out good light. He has tried a few different bulbs and colors to try and make them better but they just arnt very effective. They are more for looks i think then for actual function.

Dont get me wrong they look pretty cool on his car, he went from a single light with a low/highbeam bulb to now 2 independent lights and bulbs so it changes the look but they dont function quite like he had hoped.

For what he paid he is happy.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well he did get them used so it is possible they were so cheap because of some sort of electrical issue that made it over heat and damage the ring. andrew how is the glass and ring on the set you have seen? did they have the same issues as bower is desrcibing?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
They arnt damaged they just arnt what you think they are. The LED makes you think its a neon maybe. The glass in the projectors im not sure about, poor glass? not shaped right? im not sure.

Ive never really seen a quality set so i dont know for sure what makes them good or bad.

In the link he posted the halos do look the same as my brothers with the bent plastic ring and i can see the airbubbles in the rings so ide bet they are LEDs too.

Its your money though get what you want.

·
Registered
529 Posts
well he did get them used so it is possible they were so cheap because of some sort of electrical issue that made it over heat and damage the ring. andrew how is the glass and ring on the set you have seen? did they have the same issues as bower is desrcibing?
Quite honestly they were complete shit. They are form over function for sure. My friends set had the exact same quality issues except one of his halos burnt out before they were even on the car for 6 months.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
i bought a set of those on ebay for $130 total. The stock output is terrible, and when i say terrible, im talking about lighting a match to see if they are working terrible.

Also, they arent the best fitting headlights. I did a retrofit on mine to make them worth it, but in truth its not worth the time or money.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, just thought id give it a try... thanks guys

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Yeah, these look the repackaged ebay mach-knockoffs with just a cheap HID kit thrown in. There are problems with the lense and the fact they use halogen projectors for HIDS is no bueno. Retrofit ftw!

·
Registered
220 Posts
back about 2 years ago (rough estimate!) when i joined this forum i remember looking at halo projectors and steered clear of them because i guess alot of people that got them said the wiring for the halo parts isn't the best and they tend to melt up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts