Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I supposedly heard the 2012 focus now supports E85 fuel.... Has anyone tried this, and if so, what type of fuel economy do you see?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Don't think the 2012 Focus is a Flex-Fuel vehicle. If it was you could be sure Ford would have them badged that way.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
It originally was supposed to be a flex fuel vehicle. If you search google you will find some Ford press releases from late last year that talked about E85 compatibility in the new Focus. Unfortunately somewhere along the way Ford changed their mind for some reason and released the car without the E85 capability. There has been talk of Focus models with yellow fuel inlet surrounds that are Flex Fuel capable. Perhaps this will be a rolling change at some point. I've yet to hear of anyone on this board or the blueovalforums board that has the yellow fuel surround. We have quite a few E85 stations around Denver and I'd be inclined to use it for no other reason than reducing my use of foreign oil. It will be interesting to see if they add the capability to the Focus ST. The Ecoboost engine would be the one that could really take advantage of the higher octane rating of the E85.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been checking around the Internet (at what I feel are credible sources) and many of them say that it does support E85.... I guess I'll have to wait and see or just go look at one again and look inside the fuel door.

·
Banned
363 Posts
I've been checking around the Internet (at what I feel are credible sources) and many of them say that it does support E85.... I guess I'll have to wait and see or just go look at one again and look inside the fuel door.
Mine is not E85 compatible, both in the owners manual and inside the fuel door.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It originally was supposed to be a flex fuel vehicle. If you search google you will find some Ford press releases from late last year that talked about E85 compatibility in the new Focus.
When I was doing research before ordering mine, I also remember seeing info on Flex Fuel capability. My filler area has printed on it: Gasoline/E10 on one side and within the symbol ∅E20-E85 on the other. I just paged through my source book from Oct. 2010 and there is no mention of flex fuel, so...
If it is used on compatible vehicles, it's important not to go back and forth from E85 to gasoline too much, to stick with one or the other, not to mix too much of the two and to fill with either when the tank is below ½ tank.
If my Focus was compatible, in a pinch I guess I would use it, but I'm not willing to sacrifice fuel economy for a heavily subsidized fuel source. I read that the US gets most of it's crude oil from Canada, we're still friends with them, aren't we?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm not willing to sacrifice fuel economy for a heavily subsidized fuel source.
This. It's also energy net-negative. In other words, if E85 was used in all the machinery that goes into making E85, there wouldn't be any left to sell. It's all just rouse to pretend that we're doing something about the problem of fossil fuels. If you want to be green, go electric.

·
Banned
363 Posts
This. It's also energy net-negative. In other words, if E85 was used in all the machinery that goes into making E85, there wouldn't be any left to sell. It's all just rouse to pretend that we're doing something about the problem of fossil fuels. If you want to be green, go electric.
Yep, the sheeple have bought the rainbow with the etoh subsidy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My car was just manufacturered last month and it says around the filler cap - NO E85.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder why that is then.... but it sort of puzzles me. I have a Ram 1500 (2010) and it takes E85 (never used it in that though). Only place Dodge mentions E85 on the vehicle is on the yellow cap and that's it. There's no badge of the body of the truck that says it.

But in all, I probably wouldn't use E85 anyway, but would be nice to know because if in a pinch and all I could get was E85 (although most stations that have E85, also have regular gas anyway).

It was more or less for my information. Obviously not going to change my decision on buying a Focus, but was curious...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And that is funny, because even in the manual, I found that it does say "87 Octane or E85 fuel"

Unless European and/or Canadian models are the only ones that can run E85, and not the US models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And that is funny, because even in the manual, I found that it does say "87 Octane or E85 fuel"

Unless European and/or Canadian models are the only ones that can run E85, and not the US models.
I'm from Toronto, and my SE has the same "∅E20-E85" on the side of the filler cap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, I've done a ton of research on the questions of whether our foci can use E-85: 1) safely, 2) with minimal decrease in efficiency, or3) with a boost to hp. My disclaimer is that there is no great science or consensus out there, so take my findings with a grain of salt.

For the first question, what I found is that although our foci (the US models, at least) are DEFINITELY NOT flex fuel vehicles, they likely can use E-85 safely because newer vehicles tend to have rubbers/metals used in their production that are more resistant to corrosion. There does not seem to be any data at all on whether our piston rings will swell/leak, so I can't speak to that, but for typical swelling/leaking to occur, E-85 use typically must occur over a long interval, so occasional use is probably safe for our vehicles. In other words (and with a nod to the OP), if you test out E-85 in your focus once or twice, no one should be the wiser for it. Certainly, you should not expect any damage to result.

As to the second question, I have learned from my mechanic that two of his customers with 2012 foci ran e-85 in their engines and noticed a dramatic loss in mpg (from ~40mpg highway driving @ 65mph to ~27mpg highway driving @ 65 mph). This works out to a 32.5% loss in efficiency (not taking into account cheaper fuel prices), so beware that you will probably lose significant fuel efficiency by using E-85.

I then asked my mechanic the third question, because I figured our 12.0:1 engine compression ratio would be able to make use of the higher octane ethanol, and unfortunately he didn't know from his customers whether they experienced any hp gains. So, that question goes unanswered until one of us tests out E-85.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'll add also that I'm probably not going to be testing it out on my own vehicle because I couldn't care less about hp boosts (except for an academic interest) and I bought my vehicle specifically for its mpg (and awesome electronics). But yeah, with that said, if anyone ends up testing out E-85 on our foci (using a dyno), it would be interesting to see if any performance gains result!

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
...they likely can use E-85 safely...
Have fun with that. Considering (as has been stated) the ring around the filler tube says NO E85. But let's not believe that.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts