Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of throwing wheel spacers on my new 2012 SE but I wanted to see if anyone else has done this first. If so I would love to see some pictures.

Also do you guys think we would have any wheel rub issues with a set of 20mm spacers/adapters, or any other issues for that matter.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The wheel registers on the hub with very few exceptions you loose the hub centering when you use spacers resulting in vibration issues from the wheel not being concentric to the spindle.

In general wheel spacers are not a good idea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd rather not be the guinea pig on this one, I'll hold off until I can find someone one that has them with no issues

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm probably wrong but I think spacers are on the Foci that have the 18" wheel packages. If you can find someone with that package you could examine it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd rather not be the guinea pig on this one, I'll hold off until I can find someone one that has them with no issues
Go for it, try them on, there is someone else saying "I'll wait for KevvyMcD to get tired of waiting for someone else."

What could possibly go wrong?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm probably wrong but I think spacers are on the Foci that have the 18" wheel packages. If you can find someone with that package you could examine it.
I have the 18's & I'm not aware it has spacers, and would be quite surprised if it did. I too wondered about wheels spacers though once I get my H&R sport springs on

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, there are no spacers on my 18" wheels, just a steering limiter...
Chris

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Go for it, seriously.

You may not want to do 20mm without the proper measurements but spacers have been done before many many times.

H&R Trak+ are TUV rated and are completely safe if installed correctly. Anyone who tells you spacers aren't safe weren't using those.

A few things to note, don't double up on them. One set of spacers per hub. If you use spacers that don't come with extended studs (usually 10mm or less) you should probably buy some ARP studs and have them pressed in regardless and just use open end lug nuts. Take some measurements, don't just get 20mm or 25mm spacers because your buddy says that they work on his Civic, it's not the same.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been running 8mm spacers on all corners without any problems, or vibrations as previous posters have warned. The set I am using can be had on FleaBay and with proper lug tightening process, will give you no issues. I have a nice long drive to work with daily speeds over 110 at times.
The lug threads DO limit the thickness of the spacer though. I would not advise anything thicker than 8mm for a non-bolted spacer.
I would also NOT trust these spacers with OE lug bolts if you plan on tracking the car or participating in an Auto X. -Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Get wheel adapters instead of a wheel spacer. Keeps the wheel centered and you can run many of the other common rim styles already available since our bolt pattern is so uncommon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Get wheel adapters instead of a wheel spacer. Keeps the wheel centered and you can run many of the other common rim styles already available since our bolt pattern is so uncommon.
Unfortunately this isn't very good advice as it limits your wheel choices even further. Adding 35mm or MORE to the new effective hub position will all but dash any chance of finding wheels that will work. You'll have to find wheels that have offsets between 55-65mm depending upon width.

That's a lot of money to spend just to have less wheel choices.

There are plenty of 5x108 options out there, you just have to know where to look.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wheel spacers screw up your scrub radius and accelerate tire wear, they also put extra stress on wheel berings. (Sorry no spell checker)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance on this...but what is the point of putting on spacers? Is this just for stability on cornering since the wheels will be further apart? I'm not too sure...

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's mostly for looks, the increase in track width doesn't offer much in terms of handling improvements on an otherwise stock suspension.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
ohhh thats a great idea... you think 5x108 is hard to find.. look around

now 4x108 is hard to find...

honestly try a 5mm spacer and see how the car reacts..if you dont feel safe take them off..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts