Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there running the Precision Turbo kit presently on a 2.0 Zetec?I am a click away from doing the deal,but I don't know of anyone using this setup and would like some feedback.It is a complete kit with MAF,Injectors,reflash for ECM,intercooler etc. and has some nice dyno numbers.Looking for some firsthand imfo...

·
Registered
248 Posts
i was running it......about to put it back on......i was running it on 10psi for a year....i was wooping srt-4s all day....great package....only thing bad about it is....u need to get a BOV uless you like all the left over air coming back out ur turbo then i recomend gettina a bov.....i put one on and like a ******* i didnt re tune the ECU so one day i am reacing this GT and beat it but when i was going to turn on the hazards....she went snap crackle POP!....through the #1 rod......i would highly recommend the kit....but only and i mean only with a perfect tune......i had a couple other things on my car...but i was putting down....236WHP/224TQ....killer numbers for a 4 banger....1/4 mile was like 13.8-13.9....it also comes with a oil pump set up....because the turbo sits so low it needs another oil pump....and the pump also comes with a timer.....almost acting like a turbo timer...but not quite....oil timer

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no blow off valve included?If not,I will probably go with one that dumps back to the intake side of the maf so as not to upset the ecm.I would think the tune they put in your ecm when you sent it back would have been adequate.Thanks for the rsponse.

·
Registered
248 Posts
you could do that....but FYI....the intake sits right next to the turbo...really low.....i dont kno if you would be comfortable with the BOV all the way down there unless u want to run a big hose from point A to B.....i have my BOV sitting right on the intercooler piping right by the TB.....so....either way u could do it....if u get the precision kit,,,make sure you get some kind of air release valve.....ur turbo will b fine for a while because it is ball bearing.....but yeah

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking at the Precision setup,it would be extremely easy to place the BOV between the intercooler feed and the air inlet side of the turbo.BUT,after studying the design,I realized that they are using a blow through MAF and it really wouldn't matter whether you blow off pressure to atmosphere or bypass it back to the inlet because it is unmetered air till it passes through the MAF,which is 1' off the Throttle body.SO,it should not make any difference on your tune.

·
Registered
248 Posts
actually the kit uses 2 MAF sensors...one b4 the turbo and one after.....i dont know weather it will mess up the tune or not but there is 2........i had my BOV right underneath the MAF closest to the BOV.....so0o0o....clueless

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
I would like to see some pics of this two maf setup you are talking about please.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I was searching around different websites looking for a pic of the two MAF setup. What I found was a couple of places not offering the Precision Kit for the Zetecs anymore. Can anybody out there confirm this?

·
Registered
248 Posts
sorry i edit that....i put the 2 sensors in............i just heard from somewhere that if you only use one sensor you will have some sort of stalling/dying issues when you press in the clutch from a high RPM....all i did was take the stock MAF sensor that is attached to the plastic piece and put it where the intake setup is with the turbo.....got a wire to run it to the ECU....totally forgot about that....if you guys still want i can get pics.......is off the car right now....i will put it back on eventualy....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Precision is still offering the Focus Zetec kit.I am an authorized dealer and am about to make my first buy on one.If I buy three I get a really good deal.I have researched the various kits out there and theirs seems to be extremely complete and they back up all their claims with Dyno charts.They are easy to reach by phone and I am familiar with their stand alone turbos.Just wanted to hear from some people who have the kit currently on their cars.I do believe I am going to get one and see if I like it.

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
breakaway said:
and they back up all their claims with Dyno charts.
Not realy they have claimed to be doing the power they do on 87 fuel but if you call they will say that isnt correct , They know this but there web site has stayed the same for 3 years now with the 87 octane claim

breakaway said:
stand alone turbos
What do you mean by "stand alone turbo"

J
breakaway said:
ust wanted to hear from some people who have the kit currently on their cars.I do believe I am going to get one and see if I like it.
This is a fair kit like most out there it has its issues , It comes with very bad tuning and the first thing needed is a custom tune. Dont even think about this kit with out adding the cost of a on the dyno tune , they have droped all R&D on the kit and they never got the blow through MAF to work and it is needed

Tom

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have used their turbos/components on a few custom installs.They sell a ton of turbochargers,but only the one complete kit.The tune should be close enough till you get it to a dyno facility,as I know specific vehicle tuning is the only way to extract maximum power and dependability out of any forced induction system.The best thing to do would be a stand alone engine management system (like a FAST)if you really wanted the ultimate tuning ability.As far as blow through vs. pull through MAF meters,I have found good and bad about both.It takes some tuning to get either to work 100% and with everything modified,they are all a work in progress...

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
breakaway said:
I have used their turbos/components on a few custom installs.They sell a ton of turbochargers,but only the one complete kit.The tune should be close enough till you get it to a dyno facility,as I know specific vehicle tuning is the only way to extract maximum power and dependability out of any forced induction system.The best thing to do would be a stand alone engine management system (like a FAST)if you really wanted the ultimate tuning ability.As far as blow through vs. pull through MAF meters,I have found good and bad about both.It takes some tuning to get either to work 100% and with everything modified,they are all a work in progress...
Why do you say go stand alone the SCT PRP can do about anything the FAST can do safety and power to be gained wise ?

As far as the good and bad what is the bad of a blow through ?

Tom

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have found the blow through MAF meters to be less accurate/less sensitive when getting on and off the accelerator.This has shown up on a/f ratio measurements on the dyno as well.On the plus side,they seem to keep pace better(gain) when the throttle is snapped wide open in FI applications.I am not familiar with the SCT PRP.Is this a piggyback system capable of rpm incremental programming (fuel curves,Ignition timing curves etc.), and handling switching duties as well as data streaming?I am not saying I have all the answers,but I have been experimenting with cars for some time,have found some things work and others don't,and I NEVER stop learning and asking for advice.

·
FF Affiliate
30,151 Posts
I havent see the issues you talk about with doing blowthrough just the opposite what i have seen is far more sensitive and accurate from idle to 8000 as for the AF part that can be corected in the tuning

The SCT PRP gives the end user the ability to make most if not all the changes needed for a safe tune. It IS NOT a piggyback unit it addresses the changes in the Ford hardware directly as well as comes with the ability to datalog

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts