Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Newbie here, really liking the new Focus, especially the toys for the money and the gas milage (currently driving a 6-liter V8 Pontiac that only gets me high insurance rates and spending a boatload in gas... averaging 20 mpg when I try).

Problem is I have a 1 1/2 year old girl who needs to ride in the back so has anyone had issues with putting a car seat in the back? I'm a bigger guy, 6' and broad shouldered so I want to make sure there is enough room to stuff my kid in there without crushing her legs. I'd probably have her in the middle position because I don't have many passengers in back. If worse comes to worse I can put her behind the passenger seat but her being my first, I feel safer with her in the middle in case of a crash.

Looking forward to exploring the site even if I don't get a Focus! (avoids rocks being thrown at head [:p]

·
Registered
968 Posts
We have a three year old in a booster and a 7 month old in a rear facing, what does your daughter use?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My daughter sits in a Britax forward facing car seat, can't remember the model name & number at the moment, 50 maybe? The kind that has the front slider to tilt it back and forth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've got a 2 1/2 sitting behind the passenger seat. it's tight, but she fits. and she likes to use the back of the seat as a foot rest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm a big dude too brother, and always had a focus with car or booster seat in the back. You'll be just fine. My 9 year old sits behind me with seat all the way back now.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I have an almost 6 year old in the passenger side. She needs to use the latch for the middle seatbelt because of how narrow the seats are built. We tried the middle at first but that didn't cut it at all.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got a 3 year old, and a 1.5 year old. I had a rental for two weeks, and I noticed this.

I'm 6' as well, maybe not broad shouldered, but that shouldn't matter for how far back the seat goes.

I had my 3 year old behind me, and he can push on the seat pretty good with his feet. The 1.5 year old legs aren't long enough to push the seat yet, but it will only be a few months until he can. It can be pretty tight, but is fine for the kids.

I doubt that you will be able to slide the carseat to recline it unless you move the seats forward.

Once they are older it will be better, as the angle of the seats will give them more legroom at the floor, when they are sitting without booster seats

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had my 2 month old in a rear facing behind the driver seat, and I couldn't push my seat back nearly as far as I needed to. I had to move him to the passanger side simply because I didn't feel like I could drive safely with how little room I had... Now the wife gets to be scrunched up.

It's probably just because the carseat is massive though; Cant wait to turn it around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i just bought a sunshine kids radian 65 premier child seat. they boast to be the most compact seat. and i have to say, they are right. with my older bigger seat,my daughters legs would always be pushing up against the front passenger seat. now with the new one her legs are able to drop and hang downwards with no issue. it's definately something for focus owners with kids to look into.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got a 9 yr old without seat, 2 year old with front facing and 3 month old with rear facing (middle). All fit comfortably, the key is not buying into the Hype of the larger seats like the "Air" style. We've got 2 new graco ones that are very narrow and fit well.
I'm 6'2", but like my seat up. Doesn't really matter though because I put the rear facing in the middle where there is more room.

fyi, there are 3 anchor points on the back of the seats for 3 car seats..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts