Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been two years the d-kits came out and was wondering if anyone has installed the d-kits and if so how do they like it, or if there is anything I should know befor I buy and if there is anything better[?]

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I really want them does that count for anything

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info wickedgrey thats all I needed to know, i was going to go with an s/c but no one has made one yet. So Im going all motor and then Ill buy the ST when we get the C-1 setup.[thankyou]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last year I have Cosworth L1 and 2, and there's not really anything to complain about it. It's a great setup. You just can't go wrong with it. My dyno was 176whp and 140wtq. Now that I have FS Stage 1 Turbo, I still use the Cosworth IM and Cams. If you're looking for an N/A setup, you can't go wrong with this kit. But if you want more power, then you really need to go Turbo.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
How come people with the cossie parts... you actually lose TQ numbers... I saw a dyno on an ST with intake, header and exhaust, and it had 152 whp and 151 wtq and with cossie parts you only are getting 176 whp and 140 wtq? I dunno.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
take both those cars and race and I bet the one with cossie parts wins.

besisdes if you use company X as compared to Cosworth you may not gain the same horse power and keep some of your torque.

But flat out take two even weight, driver skill, and aerodynamic cars race them with said power figures above and the one with more horsepower will win every time. It may take you longer to get to your power band but once there the horsepower is what is going to make you win.

torque gets you there Horsepower gets you there faster.

you can take a diesel engine for example lots of torque and no horsepower makes for a slow vehicle. Granted the newest diesel's are monsters. Hell the 165 HP Mercedes C200 I am driving now is pretty damn fast.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
sharon5384 said:
How come people with the cossie parts... you actually lose TQ numbers... I saw a dyno on an ST with intake, header and exhaust, and it had 152 whp and 151 wtq and with cossie parts you only are getting 176 whp and 140 wtq? I dunno.
OK, since no one here has really answered your question yet - here goes.

I think that it has got to be the Cossie Intake Manifold and Cam.

A stock 2.3 with a CAI intake/header/exhaust has not really changed the way the engine has actually been tuned.

A cam and an intake does, and to a lesser degree, so does the header. But intakes can be more specifically tuned for either low end or high end hp.

Remember my post about when I tried different intakes on my Mustang? When I had put on a "Ford GT" intake (looked like a box) and w/o having changed anything else - the car ran slower!. But with an Edelbrock intake (tuned for both hp AND torque) it ran faster.

·
Registered
714 Posts
we just put the Cosworth Intake Manifold on Alex's car sunday, and what a difference that made....and it makes it better that you can see it through his hood.

·
Registered
651 Posts
you lose peak torque, but gain a flatter "curve". My torque is always there, all the way thru the rpm range. When we go on runs, lots of guys are having to grab gears all the time, when I can stay in a single gear a lot more of the time. Hope this makes sense to you.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Yes this all helps out a lot and Massive you have a OM once again... SORRY!!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
It's no problem, glad I can help [thumb]

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i have an auto st i'm afraid to even dyno mine, scared i'm going to end up coming out with like 110 whp

·
Registered
651 Posts
nomoreavril said:
i have an auto st i'm afraid to even dyno mine, scared i'm going to end up coming out with like 110 whp
auto st? [???:)] They only came in manual.

Edit: Just saw you put an ST motor in your auto 2.3 ZX3...it's the same motor though...I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
kindof....something about a moreaggressive tune and a diff header or something like that, the old ones have 145 i think and the st has 151

·
Registered
450 Posts
from driving a huge 8,000 lb truck with a diesel that only has 240 hp but 550 lb ft of torque, i would take torque over hp any day. I blow mustangs off the line.. but only until 45-60 then their h/p advantage takes over.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Massive said:
auto st? [???:)] They only came in manual.

Edit: Just saw you put an ST motor in your auto 2.3 ZX3...it's the same motor though...I'm confused.
I was thinking WTH also but then I say he got an ST motor in his ZX3 auto. I had a 2.3 in my 04 LX and although it only put out out 145 hp rather than the massive 6HP increase on the ST it was also an auto and I had about 109-110 whp in that thing, and with the mods it went up to about 121 whp.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im not looking for an ungodly amount of hp, there is alot of power in the motor world and I dont want it all. Thanks to all the cosworth peeps for the info, its great to know what my options are. I just want enough to smoke some import ass![thumb] [driving] [burnout] [headbang]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts