Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has painted the valve cover, if so what did you use and how did it hold up ? Not sure if I want to do it, just a thought.

·
Registered
507 Posts
i do mine in blue last summer

i use a aluminium valve cover of a wrecked 2000 focus

i soundblast the black paint on it

i apply high temp primer and pi painted it with hight temp paint

i finish all with a clear

oh i forgot! be sure the ambiant humidity is low went you apply the primer, the paint and the clear

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some reason there are just x's in focuzsports pics, but thanks anyways. Nice pics focusgold, thanks all.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Well, it worked before. I just found the link and posted it here. Sorry.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
the pics in ashley's link [or should i say Missy Fox's [;)] ] work just fine for me

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey focuz how long did you let it dry before putting it back on, and how is it holding up. Thanks

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
fokuzsport said:
thanks for posting the link ashley
Your welcome[;)]

·
Registered
793 Posts
focusgold2001 said:
i do mine in blue last summer

i use a aluminium valve cover of a wrecked 2000 focus

i soundblast the black paint on it

i apply high temp primer and pi painted it with hight temp paint

i finish all with a clear

oh i forgot! be sure the ambiant humidity is low went you apply the primer, the paint and the clear
I didnt think there was an aluminium valve cover, I thought the 2000's had a magneisum cover and 2001+ had like that dinky plastic type one?

·
Registered
507 Posts
i dont really now what kind of metal they use of the 2000 focus valve cover, its dont really matter anyway, my original valve cover is made of plastic(i have a 2001 focus), and i know painting a plastic valve cover is not the best thing to do cause the oil temperature can chip up all the paint in no time

magnesium is not a little too expessive to use for focus valve cover?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hay mine is plastic and i have a 2000 focus.I painted mine gunmetal.I would like a aluminum one.

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
The Paintman @ a local garage told me he has this new metal and plastic primer, that prevents engine heat from damaging a paint job in the engine compartment. He quoted me $300 for all the removable plastic covers under the hood to be painted the same as the car.....due to the fact I was having my hood repaired after a rock no the highway hit it and bounced 3 times (1 dent, 3 scratches...no where near the fender...) plus painting the new rear brake drums with a high-temp yellow.....I should be getting this done at the start of next month....depends.

But my point is, you can have the valve cover painted if it's plastic, but I'd get it done professionally.....It has a better warranty. [:D]

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestion Odu, but I'm doing all of my own work for now. The only thing I'm going to get help with is the internal engine parts, gotta a friend who can do just about anything a engine. Other than that its just my little project.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
henry74 said:
Hey focuz how long did you let it dry before putting it back on, and how is it holding up. Thanks
well i used engine enamel.. you cant coat over enamel so you have to do it all at once if your going to fade.. but if you go solid color.. do it all at once.. (the coats that is) if you coat over it after it has dried it will bubble badly and crack.

it took me about a total of a half a day to do the right way.. after trying and failing about three times.. we didnt know about the cracking... the very first time i didnt use the right primer.. it would have melted up.

i let it dry off the car over night.. and put on in the morning.

its held up great.. even with my hood which allows water to come in when raining.. still looks like new. im going to get some pics up of it on the car here soon, when the weather is nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts