Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it the suspension/wheel/tire combination? I have the Continental ContactPro tires and 16" alloy wheels. You think it will soften up any with more miles, or do I need a softer tire in about 30K miles or so? It's great on the highway, but I did notice some "jarring" on some brick and pothole roads we have around here, still LOVE the car, it is loaded and fun to have so many toys to play with out on the open road. I may have to keep the upgraded Sirius with the Travel Link, it was real accurate about a closed freeway exit last night when we were coming home from a halloween party. Wonder what that costs? [dunno]

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile What car did you drive before? Also check the tire pressure to make sure its at the correct psi.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I found the ride on mine very good overall. I just didn't like that sometimes hitting bumps resulted in a feeling like the ball joints were worn (some clunking). However, I either got use to it and didn't notice anymore or the car's components somehow broke themselves in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What car did you drive before?
MINI Cooper S Clubman thru two sets of run-flats, I know what is a 'jarring' ride. I was hoping this one didn't have any of those qualities. I will check PSI, but they should be dead-on, just picked up the car tuesday...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yup... You know a jarring ride. I had a Mini Cooper S with the sport package. Gotta becareful with a full coffee.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good tip on the PSI, door-jam sticker calls for 35, they were at 40, i figure 36 is a good number, "3 bars up from 30" on the tire gauge. I run 44 on my Concours 14, but I probably wouldn't run that on a car, is that what your tires call for?

I guess the 'mothership' in Wayne figures it's better to ship them heavy, rather than take the chance a potential customer comes driving back in complaining of slow steering response or something on their way out of the dealership, or cracks the thing up trying to 'throw her over hard to starboard' on the test drive. They were all exactly 40 psi.

BTW, my 89 y/o mom hated riding over in the MINI to visit when I go pick her up 2 hours away, I was hoping I wouldn't hear about that again.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
This is just a theory, but usually most cars will ride a little bumpy on rough pavement. Of course the definition of rough varies from person to person! lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but I did notice some "jarring" on some brick and pothole roads we have around here
jar;   [jahr] Show IPA verb, jarred, jar·ring, noun
verb (used without object)
1. to have a harshly unpleasant or perturbing effect on one's nerves, feelings, thoughts, etc.: The sound of the alarm jarred.
2. to produce a harsh, grating sound; sound discordantly.
3. to vibrate audibly; rattle: The window jarred in the frame.
4. to vibrate or shake.

If one wants to be the "smart guy", maybe it would behoove someone to actually read for comprehension the actual post, not just maybe glance at the title and make a quick come-back, you think?[8D]

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile Dont get snippy people. Anyway, I put air in my tires today because I fiured it dropped because of the cold and oh it did. 5+ psi since I got them almost two weeks ago. Filled them up to 37, alittle above the recommened 34, what a difference it made.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
lol I Wasnt trying to be smart or anything. I did read all of the posts. Unless none of that was directed at me. [:D] I was just saying, around here alot of roads are gravel, or have holes. So yes, the ride will be a little bumpy in any car. I have not driven a 2012 Focus, so I am not sure exactly. I bet that car has a nice ride. I rarely see those anymore! Cheers!

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
jar;   [jahr] Show IPA verb, jarred, jar·ring, noun
verb (used without object)
1. to have a harshly unpleasant or perturbing effect on one's nerves, feelings, thoughts, etc.: The sound of the alarm jarred.
2. to produce a harsh, grating sound; sound discordantly.
3. to vibrate audibly; rattle: The window jarred in the frame.
4. to vibrate or shake.

If one wants to be the "smart guy", maybe it would behoove someone to actually read for comprehension the actual post, not just maybe glance at the title and make a quick come-back, you think?[8D]
ANNNNND any hopes of more help are gone.

Did you know we have a seperate 2012 section?
Link:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121

·
Registered
186 Posts
My hatchback had Michelin Pilot Sport 3s as delivered, and last week I swapped to Kumho all-seasons. Both 235/40VR18. The car seems to do just fine on pothole-filled city streets for me.

·
Registered
724 Posts
This is just a theory, but usually most cars will ride a little bumpy on rough pavement. Of course the definition of rough varies from person to person! lol
Compared to my PT Cruiser GT the Focus ride on rough pavement is silky smooth. Compared to my pickup with 31/10.5-15 tires not so much. I am satisfied over all how it rides on rough pavement.

I specifically went with the 16" tires over the 17's or 18's to put some extra side wall between the road and the suspension. The PT has 215/50-17's and it is bone jarring.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It all changed when I lowered the psi to 36, not bad at all. Thanks for the advice, sorry for the "webster's" reference to "jarring", I was looking for a lead here, not snappy comebacks, but it's all fine now. Enjoying the ride.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
My hatchback had Michelin Pilot Sport 3s as delivered, and last week I swapped to Kumho all-seasons. Both 235/40VR18. The car seems to do just fine on pothole-filled city streets for me.

Posted via FF Mobile Any reason why you didnt just get winter tires?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts