Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 when it's cold and you take off and row through the gears (5speed) in about 3rd gear when accelerating it feels like it's surging very slightly. Has anyone experienced this? When it's warm it doesn't happen at all. All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, I noticed the same thing as well. I switched to 93 octane for the winter, did the snorkel delete and put an AEM Dryflo filter in and it took care of it.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Car is cold, funny things happen when very cold it's normal...

Mine like to squeak (belts) when -40F/C for few seconds and harder to shift because of the oil viscosity.

I bet your Saturn have also problem with the cold [|)]

No car is perfect! [;)]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Take it easy on it until it warms up, light on the pedal is better for the engine/drivetrain cold.

Running reasonable smooth as it warms is miracle enough, it's doing so doesn't give a reminder that it isn't ready to run "normal" yet.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Take it easy on it until it warms up, light on the pedal is better for the engine/drivetrain cold.
^ This. Anybody that has been around engines all their life knows this but the gas crunch of previous decades twisted the message into "it's OK to drive away the moment you start the car because it saves wasted gas idling and it does the engine no harm"

BS. Warm the engine up. Even more important to do so if you are running conventional dino oil in a cold climate.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Mine like to squeak (belts) when -40F/C for few seconds...
That's most likely actually your active grill shutter servos. Mine does the same thing when it's <5 degrees F and it's definitely the servos on mine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've also noticed the engine runs much noisier too when it's cold, almost sounds like an exhaust leak But I think someone pointed out that they run more air into fuel mixture when the engine is cold. Sounds like a tired engine when it's cold. [:)]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
^ This. Anybody that has been around engines all their life knows this but the gas crunch of previous decades twisted the message into "it's OK to drive away the moment you start the car because it saves wasted gas idling and it does the engine no harm"

BS. Warm the engine up. Even more important to do so if you are running conventional dino oil in a cold climate.
I never move mine until idle RPMs drop below 1k.

Reminds me of the scene in Goodfellas where the guy is waiting to warm up the car. What was the deal, he had a body in the trunk? Driver gets chewed out by his passengers. Epic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I noticed the massive flat spot in the power band between 2000 and about 2800RPM when it's cold.

I've noticed the car DOES NOT like winter one bit… Any time it drops below -10C, it runs like a complete bucket. I'm even getting throwout bearing/pilot bearing noise on cold starts.

And yea, I posted about the "exhaust leak" sound. It's pretty brutal, but I checked it thoroughly with the tech at Ford (they let me go onto the floor and under the car), and there's definitely no leak.

I guess they're like me… They hate mornings, especially cold ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts