Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for a suspension kit for my FoFo wagon to improve the handling and maybe lower it by 1-2", but it seems like nothing will fit the wagon. Does anyone know where I can find something that'll work?

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
All Foci have the same basic suspension so any upgrade for a focus sedan or hatch will work on your wagon.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
02fordsvt,

thats not right... the rear suspension is different...

you need to find some that says "will fit wagon"

Call Steve at Tousley Ford or Billy at Hilbish Ford
both places will give a ff.com member a discount

or you can piece together a kit from British American Transfer INC.. batinc.com( IIRC)

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
What are you looking for? Dampers and springs? Coilovers?

For dampers and springs, you can get an ST setup from Massive. ST is KW, so the products are very good. Bat Inc also sells Spax adjustable dampers and has springs available. For the price, the Spax set up offers adjustable dampening around the same price as the ST from Massive. The other difference is warranty. IIRC ST has a 5 year and Spax a 2 year.

The main issue parts wise is the finding the rear shocks which have an eyelet upper mount that is different from the other Focus models. The front's are the same as other Focus models. The rear springs are also designed for cargo weight capacity, so while all other Focus model rear springs fit in the wagon's rear spring perches, the heavier rear weight of the wagon results in spring sag, so find a set of wagon specific springs. As far as performance dampers made for drop springs go, the ST and Spax are the only ones available in the USA.

H&R and Vogtland drop coil springs are available and can be matched with the ST or Spax dampers. You might find a rare set of Eibach Pro springs out there, but Eibach stopped offering their wagon springs and dampers years ago.

As to adjustable height coilovers, ST, H&R, and KW have kits which are available here in the states. For adjustable dampening and height, KW and Bilstein have kits available. Koni lists a set in their catalog, but on one seems to stock it, so you would have to go through a Koni dealer to order.

One other note, some run 1.4-1.6" drop springs with KYB GR-2 dampers. The GR-2 are stock replacement parts and are not performance valved or made for use with drop springs. They do however work as they are a touch stiffer than stock (still not performance level). The ride is good, the handling ok, the price is right, but the question lingers as to how long the GR-2's will last. B/c of the drop, stock height dampers wear faster. To date, I have yet to read about a GR-2 failure on 1.5" range drop springs.

Note, the above information is for 00-04 models. 05-07 and up will need to use the correct year front struts or purchase Massive's Omni kit which allows the use of 00-04 front struts in the 05-07 model wagons.

It should also be noted there are numerous choices for parts available from Europe. You can check them out at Ebay UK under Focus Estate or Ebay Germany under Focus Turnier.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I stand corrected. Sorry about the misinformation. And just for the record, I was looking around JC Whitney and they have some suspension parts listed for a wagon. Don't know how good they'd be but you can check them out for yourself.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I stand corrected. Sorry about the misinformation. And just for the record, I was looking around JC Whitney and they have some suspension parts listed for a wagon. Don't know how good they'd be but you can check them out for yourself.

I didnt mean to call you out.... apparently the springs are the same but different load ratings..

TO the OP,

myabe you can find what you want... are you wanting to lower it or just replace the old stuff?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
myabe you can find what you want... are you wanting to lower it or just replace the old stuff?
Well, I don't really know to much about suspensions, but my goals are to improve the (already pretty good for stock) handling, drop it a bit (like I said, 1-2" would be good), and maybe give it a more aggressive stance.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
What are you looking for? Dampers and springs? Coilovers?

For dampers and springs, you can get an ST setup from Massive. ST is KW, so the products are very good. Bat Inc also sells Spax adjustable dampers and has springs available. For the price, the Spax set up offers adjustable dampening around the same price as the ST from Massive. The other difference is warranty. IIRC ST has a 5 year and Spax a 2 year.

The main issue parts wise is the finding the rear shocks which have an eyelet upper mount that is different from the other Focus models. The front's are the same as other Focus models. The rear springs are also designed for cargo weight capacity, so while all other Focus model rear springs fit in the wagon's rear spring perches, the heavier rear weight of the wagon results in spring sag, so find a set of wagon specific springs. As far as performance dampers made for drop springs go, the ST and Spax are the only ones available in the USA.

H&R and Vogtland drop coil springs are available and can be matched with the ST or Spax dampers. You might find a rare set of Eibach Pro springs out there, but Eibach stopped offering their wagon springs and dampers years ago.

As to adjustable height coilovers, ST, H&R, and KW have kits which are available here in the states. For adjustable dampening and height, KW and Bilstein have kits available. Koni lists a set in their catalog, but on one seems to stock it, so you would have to go through a Koni dealer to order.

One other note, some run 1.4-1.6" drop springs with KYB GR-2 dampers. The GR-2 are stock replacement parts and are not performance valved or made for use with drop springs. They do however work as they are a touch stiffer than stock (still not performance level). The ride is good, the handling ok, the price is right, but the question lingers as to how long the GR-2's will last. B/c of the drop, stock height dampers wear faster. To date, I have yet to read about a GR-2 failure on 1.5" range drop springs.

Note, the above information is for 00-04 models. 05-07 and up will need to use the correct year front struts or purchase Massive's Omni kit which allows the use of 00-04 front struts in the 05-07 model wagons.

It should also be noted there are numerous choices for parts available from Europe. You can check them out at Ebay UK under Focus Estate or Ebay Germany under Focus Turnier.
^ This.

There are other coilover brands available than what was listed, but they are either quite a bit more expensive or not easily found sateside, or both. This is a pretty comprehensive list, its nice to see someone who knows their stuff.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
So could I just get a kit for any other Foci, and then get bigger back springs?

The fronts are the same, as was listed above. But the rear is almost completely different.

The stock Focus wagon comes with springs that are stiffer than a stock ZX3 or sedan, but they are not interchangeable. You need to get wagon specific rear springs and dampeners as your control arms are different.

Generally the only time you will buy front suspension and rear suspension separately is with a coilover set up. Your best bet is to follow HotRodWagon's advice that was listed at the beginning of the post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts