Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just washed the car last night and noticed that the fuel filler door is not fitting properly, it seems to have "shifted" so when you open or close it, it seems to rub on the rear tail light assembly and is actually sticking out, not flush with the rest of the body panel?

·
Registered
781 Posts
not having a problem with mine, but i do find the fuel door to be "cheap" compared to the rest of the vehicle. if you're having an issue i'd suggest taking it in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine fits fine... however I do agree that they do seem cheap.

J

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Mine is on right, but I have what appears to be flash on the edge where the thumb hole is.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My fit is fine. I like the plastic for the following reasons:

1) Wont dink like metal does - just bounces back.
2) Is not part of body so does not need to contribute to structural stiffness.
3) Lighter (OK, we're into ounces now but every little bit adds up.)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mine fit is fine. I like the plastic for the following reasons:

1) Wont dink like metal does - just bounces back.
2) Is not part of body so does not need to contribute to structural stiffness.
3) Lighter (OK, we're into ounces now but every little bit adds up.)
Hi, I agree, our mazda 2's tin one feels cheap in comparison....
Chris

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mine has not been opened very often. Only 4 times so far.

I just wish it were on the LEFT, like all my other cars.[?|]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, as far as I know all my Fords have had them on the RIGHT, perhaps it is because you have a european designed car...
Chris

·
Registered
366 Posts
I drove my Shelby Mustang to work today. It still has gas cap on the left.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Mazdaspeed 3 had it on the right, so its nothing new for me, which is nice! No problems with my sedan door either. I like that it's not incorporated into any design of the sheetmetal so no fancy weird shape/material for me!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wish it was on the left, it just makes more sense. I'm pumping the fuel, so put it on my side of the car :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
I didn't like it on the right at first, but I am used to it now, and I like the fact that there seem to be more open pumps now, and the biggest plus is not dinging up your door on the poles around the gas pump islands!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I didn't like it on the right at first, but I am used to it now, and I like the fact that there seem to be more open pumps now, and the biggest plus is not dinging up your door on the poles around the gas pump islands!
Ha, great point! I always hated how the poles stick out at some fuel stations, directly in the path of the driver side door. I've bumped agains those poles several times in previous cars, even when I would very carefully slide out the door half-way open so as to avoid hitting the pole. This is a good reason to appreciate the passenger-side fuel-filler and not worry about any obstructions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have some minor alignment issues with the Hatch visor and a door panel but the fuel door assembly fits very well and itegrates nicely with the body panel

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have some minor alignment issues with the Hatch visor and a door panel but the fuel door assembly fits very well and itegrates nicely with the body panel
ha...I also have an alignment prob with my hatch visor/spoiler. Haven't brought it in to the dealer yet though.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Driver's side fuel filler means you have to stay far enough away from pump to get door open. With the filler in the right, I can be as close as i want, no issue.
I also like it being right at the rear of the car better than in middle of rear fender.
bought the locking gas cap off Amazon and got it today.
Small, just fills up hole plus a bit.
More to keep folks from damaging the fancy no cap gas system than stealing gas anyway.
Way easier to get off than those 'clicking' sort of screw on caps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts