Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
It sure does. The flange bolts straight onto the flex pipe, which is part of why I bought it (pzev car, non pzev state). I suppose if you wanted to keep the second cat, you could have the exhaust shop cut the flange off and weld the system behind the second cat--wouldn't be hard for them to do that at all!
But then you'd lose the gains haha

I'm just trying to think of ways to make the thing a little quieter.. Love the looks though..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am not sure how to delete a comment but anyways,

I really like this exhaust and I am considering getting it but I have lots of questions first?

I live in Cali so my car is PZEV like gatmogs was but if I got this exhaust it takes off the 2nd cat so that means when I need to get this smogged I would need to put the stock exhaust parts on. Is there a way that I can even put the stock pieces back on? Is there welding required? Is this system bolt on? Do you need to cut the stock exhaust off or just unscrew some bolts?

Sorry if I sound stupid I am extremely confused?

·
Registered
78 Posts
You could remove and replace, yes. IF that's really what you want to deal with. Or, just have it welded or install an expansion/reducer and keep the cat you will need to pass emissions testing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You could remove and replace, yes. IF that's really what you want to deal with. Or, just have it welded or install an expansion/reducer and keep the cat you will need to pass emissions testing.
That could work but I might not even be able to pass a visual because don't they need to see a resonator also in there? I mean it is Comifornia.

If I did want to deal with taking the exhaust off every time where would I cut the stock one off at and then how would i get it back on? I don't know how much labor is to take it off and put it back on but if its expensive I could probably learn to do it myself since Im in high school still and good friends with the auto tech teacher.

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Honestly I cannot say, Indiana has no emissions testing (thank the lord). You need to familiarize yourself with your states testing practices/law before trying to pull the trigger but, If it were me I would see about fitting an expansion/ reducer section POST cat so you could fit it and remove it as necessary. Weld front in and clamp the rear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Honestly I cannot say, Indiana has no emissions testing (thank the lord). You need to familiarize yourself with your states testing practices/law before trying to pull the trigger but, If it were me I would see about fitting an expansion/ reducer section POST cat so you could fit it and remove it as necessary. Weld front in and clamp the rear.
Ok Thanks a lot Ill look into all the things you mentioned!

·
Registered
376 Posts
NoUsername: any competent exhaust shop would be able to incorporate the stock 2nd cat back into the system using a reducer. The easiest way would be to cut the stock exhaust just behind the 2nd cat and weld the new midpipe in place with a reducer.

IIRC, but don't quote me on this: people are able to pass visual inspection if you do the above.

I can't recommend bolting and unbolting exhaust parts for inspection because they seem to seize up FAST!! I had to angle grind the nuts off of the stock flex pipe flange to get my 2nd cat off and my car is only 1 year old!

The kit is ready to bolt on with no cutting/welding from the box, but only if you don't need to modify it for emissions. Wait, actually, you do have to buy 4 additional grade 8 bolts similar size to the kit +lock washers and 4 nuts, then cut off the extra hanger that comes with the exhaust (it's the one that comes off of the pipe where it snakes above your rear suspension, but that's such a minor task). Everything else is good to go; gaskets are all included, and you don't need exhaust paste.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
NoUsername: any competent exhaust shop would be able to incorporate the stock 2nd cat back into the system using a reducer. The easiest way would be to cut the stock exhaust just behind the 2nd cat and weld the new midpipe in place with a reducer.

IIRC, but don't quote me on this: people are able to pass visual inspection if you do the above.

I can't recommend bolting and unbolting exhaust parts for inspection because they seem to seize up FAST!! I had to angle grind the nuts off of the stock flex pipe flange to get my 2nd cat off and my car is only 1 year old!

The kit is ready to bolt on with no cutting/welding from the box, but only if you don't need to modify it for emissions. Wait, actually, you do have to buy 4 additional grade 8 bolts similar size to the kit +lock washers and 4 nuts, then cut off the extra hanger that comes with the exhaust (it's the one that comes off of the pipe where it snakes above your rear suspension, but that's such a minor task). Everything else is good to go; gaskets are all included, and you don't need exhaust paste.

Hope this helps!
Im thinking of doing exactly what you said now since you say that the parts seize up. Do you think I could just get the full exhaust now and leave the 2nd cat off until it comes time for smog and then finally install it and leave it there? I don't think I am going to need to smog it for another few years since it was a brand new car and there is a certain law that says you don't need to smog new ones for 4 or 6 years or something like that.

What if ends up being too loud for me and I need to quiet it down like yours is, there probably isn't room for the 2nd cat and a 2nd muffler is there?

Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
Personally, I would just take it to a shop and get it done once and for all.

Installing my own catback without a lift, grinding off flange nuts, and cursing for hours under my car since I had no lift wasn't worth the money I saved!

I did get to see for myself that it was too loud (for me) though, so your idea has merit.

If you do end up needing a resonator, a shorter resonator will fit, just check out that trapezoidal straight through muffler just behind your cat--it's quite big! Maybe even 18x6"? So it is definitely viable. Tight, but viable. Hell, you might even have room for a 3rd noise reduction device 12x4 (probably) or 18x4(if lucky) just before the rear suspension, check my thread!

Also keep in mind that a 2nd cat does wonders to keep the noise down so if you do decide to quiet it down, you won't need to try as hard.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
NoUsername, in CA you have 6 model years before you start having to smog your car. So a 2014 will have to have it's first smog check in 2020.

As of right now as long as you're not messing with the cat or the headers on a car you do not have to use CARB certified exhaust parts. They don't even regulate cat-back exhaust systems here. Noise is regulated but that's usually on a city to city or county to county basis and at the discretion of the officer who hears it.

As for the 2014 with it's 2 cats I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it's required by law to have 2 cats on your car. Plenty of cars will pass the emissions control part of the testing as long as the computer isn't throwing some emissions error. So unless the guy at the smog center decides to get under the car and check or CA decides to change the laws you probably won't have an issue.

I would talk to a smog tech or an exhaust shop that you trust and find out what the deal is with the second cat.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Did you find out if you need the second cat to be CARB legal? Not that it will be any time soon that I put exhaust on the car but just for future reference.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Did you find out if you need the second cat to be CARB legal? Not that it will be any time soon that I put exhaust on the car but just for future reference.
I live in NY. When I removed my second cat on my previous cobalt I never had an issue with inspections. Each shop I went to only required one visible cat. I suppose they wouldn't have known if it was gutted though...lol.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
That's what I would think. Everything I've read is you need one cat per exhaust bank and since a Focus only has one you don't NEED two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I asked a few different shops they said it really depends where you go because some don't do a visual for whatever reason. I just went with it anyways because it is 6 years before I need to do it.

Gatmog did any dash lights or check engine lights turn on once you took off the 2nd cat?

·
Registered
376 Posts
No lights whatsoever! Idle was a bit wonky for about 15 minutes due to the engine having more flow than it was used--then it settled down for good. Throttle response seemed greatly improved!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
+1 rep for this thread gatmog

101 - 120 of 166 Posts