Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes...

So a month and a half ago I'm driving to town and I hear a slight squeeling in the passengers side of the engine bay,then a few miles later my radio turns itself off, then the dash lights start dimming and flickering, followed by relays clicking in the dash until I turned off the rear defrost?!?! Get about 1/2 mile doing this till the headlights shut off and I lose all power, come to find the alt is fried and even has electrical charring all inside it (smelled horrible too).

Order a new alt from local parts store, comes in and the pulley is all wrong, my 04 has some weird one-way clutch bearing pulley on it, search the net and find a local dealer selling the right alt for only $145, sweet, cheaper than the one from the parts store!

Then I wait 1 MONTH for it to show up.

Put it in and car starts up PERFECT! Drive to the parts store (1/4m away) to get a rubber grommet that I lost off one of the parts I moved to change the alt and before I get to their parking-lot the car makes a loud thud followed by a whizzing noise like a gear free-spinning very fast and the car completely shuts off but still has electrical (ie radio works, windows, ect).

I roll into the parts store parking lot, cursing the auto Gods.

Parts guys come out and tell me its the Starter?!?! WTF?? That makes my car die while its running? OK, order me one!

Call the tow-truck, he gets there hours later and has me try to crank it, he says "They told you it was the starter? Thats why they SELL parts and dont work in the repair shop, its 100% your timing belt" So I tow it to my house and the next day check whats covered under the Powertrain Warranty, sweet it says Timing belt and I have coverage till 02/14/09! Roadside assistance tows it to the dealership (across the street from the parts store hehe).

They call me a few hours later asking if I race my car, over-rev it, or do anything like that, and also why the computer has been cleared. I tell them about how we changed the alt so the battery was out for a month while we waited for them to get the part in, and unless driving 35-40 MPH to work everyday is considered racing then no I dont ever abuse the car. They reluctantly say ok.

No call for a day, so I call them to see whats going on. They say we need to take the head off to see whats going on, do you want to pay $600 for us to do it? I say, no its still under warranty, service guys says no it isnt, 3yr/36k mile warranty on powertrain. I call BS on him so he looks it up, and WOW I'm right! 5yr/100k on powertrain so I have till 02/14/09! (I hate dealerships!)

They dont call for a day so I call again, waiting for them to tell me its my fault somehow and that I owe them alot of money for them to tell me its toasted (by the way its an 2004 with 23k miles). They say yup, it was the timing, somehow it got off, bent all the exhauste valves and dented the pistons and basically tore up the insides of your engine. Super....

The service guy says he just got confromation and they are going to not only fix the engine for the $100 deductible but put in an entirely new engine (remanufactured of course from Ford) in there and that it will be here in a few days, and it should be back to me next week all good to go! I can barely talk to the guy I am so friggin happy.

He tells me before I hang up, so you pay us $100 and Ford is picking up the rest of the bill, all $10,961 of it, HOLY CR*P! Thank goodness for 1 month of warranty left!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It doesn't happen very often to a stock SVT motor, but with any car there are a few inexplicable failures. At least SVT engines don't fail at the rate WRX and Mazdaspeed 3 engines do....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gah. Well thats freakin sweet.
Lucky you.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Make darn sure you're getting the SVT block/head/etc, and not the standard model engine.
The reason I say that, is have a really hard time believing they can get one there that fast.
There's people here that couldn't find one from the Dealer.

You might want to get a hold of Mike Trendel (b16sir1991 on FF) at Hilbish Motors.
He is a vendor on this site, and has his own forums:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94
NOTE!
Calling him will get much quicker results than posting a thread or sending him a PM.
^^^He should be able to tell what to look for for serial numbers and the like to make sure you're getting the SVTF engine.

BTW...
Where have you been?
It's been a LONG time since we've seen you here. [:(]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Wow you lucked out. When my transmission went out I tried the same thing but then they saw the supercharger, the exhaust, intake, reflashed ecu etc and told me no way. Oh well.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
nice to hear a story where Ford actually backs its customers
x2

When I bought my car (before I found FF or FJ) I took my car to the dealer to try to get some info on it. I asked them if there was any warranty left on it or anything.....they said no. A few months ago I had a guy (don't remember who( run an Oasis repot for me, and the car had a 6yr/100k mile warranty on it that was good for a year after I got my car. [:)][:)][:)][:)] Ford lol

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
how do they know u have a reflashed ecu?

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
The techs can plug in a scan tool and see that a non-ford tune is loaded in the ecu.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
oh i see, with an OBDII scanner?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Make darn sure you're getting the SVT block/head/etc, and not the standard model engine.
The reason I say that, is have a really hard time believing they can get one there that fast.
There's people here that couldn't find one from the Dealer.

You might want to get a hold of Mike Trendel (b16sir1991 on FF) at Hilbish Motors.
He is a vendor on this site, and has his own forums:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94
NOTE!
Calling him will get much quicker results than posting a thread or sending him a PM.
^^^He should be able to tell what to look for for serial numbers and the like to make sure you're getting the SVTF engine.

BTW...
Where have you been?
It's been a LONG time since we've seen you here. [:(]
Between my wife and I having our first kid (a boy) and working all the time, all I seem to do when I get off work is play a few online games then go to bed and do it all over again hehe.

I'm sure they got an SVT motor because they called today asking me if I want to give them $1300 to order a new SVT clutch/flywheel since apparently mine is dead. I told them sorry dont have the cash and it was funny since it never showed any signs of being worn (23k miles?!?!) and was working perfect when the engine blew. Pretty sure the valves getting bent and all wouldn't do anything to the flywheel right? I think they are fishing for some cash out of me now since the engine was covered.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well my dad and I went down to look at the clutch, took him with me since he has worked on cars all his life and I have no clue what a worn clutch looks like. They showed us the scortching or whatever on the flywheel and the worn pads, still no clue what I was looking at hehe. Got some estimates from local repair shops, all said $800-1k but they all also said if they have the engine out just do it then, went to the dealer and hey my car had a LUK system in it, went to Hite Parts Exchange and ordered the new clutch setup for $492 shipped (dealer wanted $1200 for same parts) and they said once they come in they will put it on the new engine for free since they already have to put it togather but wont warranty the work (fine by me, I dont warranty it if I had to put it on myself right -p)

So basically I have payed $600 out of pocket for a new engine and clutch to be installed and I dont have to touch a thing besides taking them the clutch when it arrives. They told me the new engine wont be in till tomorrow or early next week so as long as the clutch assymbly gets here sometime next week they will hold off till the new one gets here and put it in.

Didn't have an extra $600 but hey cant complain on the hell of a deal I got.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
make sure that new clutch has a flywheel with it...the new Ford design requires it or something....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what I ordered, whole setup with a new dual-mass flywheel

Ford Focus New LuK Clutch RepSet SALE
Item: LuK 07-175
Price: $505.25
Sale: $442.25
Quantity

Fits:
2002 - 2004 Focus, 6-Speed, Slave Cylinder Included, 2.0L Engine
Flywheel included. A complete clutch upgrade for the Focus

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This is what I ordered, whole setup with a new dual-mass flywheel

Ford Focus New LuK Clutch RepSet SALE
Item: LuK 07-175
Price: $505.25
Sale: $442.25
Quantity

Fits:
2002 - 2004 Focus, 6-Speed, Slave Cylinder Included, 2.0L Engine
Flywheel included. A complete clutch upgrade for the Focus

ah, good, you should be good to go then..

and you should get a new 3/36 warranty on your new motor, make sure you get that in writing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It doesn't happen very often to a stock SVT motor, but with any car there are a few inexplicable failures. At least SVT engines don't fail at the rate WRX and Mazdaspeed 3 engines do....
Somebody is talking out of his ass. I honestly think that subaru has proven by now that there engines are bullet proof when it comes to reliability. I have owned 3 subaru's,2 which were wrx's and have had no engine issues. I have a ford svt for dd since the suby is my track car. I'm not vouching for mazda's,but i do for subaru's. Don't get me wrong,I love my svt,but when it comes down to performance,it can't compare.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
They had a stop sell on the '08 STI because of a whole rash of engine failures, and the WRX265 has had a ton of issues too. Your 02 is more reliable than the newer ones, evidently

1 - 20 of 29 Posts