Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some put on from the dealer. They are a Ford accessory and an option if you had your Focus built to order. They aren't expensive.

I want to see pics of any if someone has them, I was wondering how much protection they appear to give the car and if they are color matched or unpainted plastic?

·
Registered
146 Posts
They are black matte plastic. I think they look nice and I am getting some spash on the sides of my cars especially from the front tires so I am thinking about getting them. I think they look fine on the car. My problem is they cost like $250 if you have them installed. I am not handy and don't really have tools to do it myself so I'm trying to figure out if I could get a break on the labor to install them.

Sorry I don't have a pic, I'm sure someone here will :)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Someone else had a good picture in this 3rd gen forum of a 2012 with the splash guards.
The are BLACK, rubber, they stick down about 2" and out 1" or so.
The are on the black trim anyway.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone else had a good picture in this 3rd gen forum of a 2012 with the splash guards.
The are BLACK, rubber, they stick down about 2" and out 1" or so.
The are on the black trim anyway.
If you happen to find that picture could you share it here with me? I'll try too but I just joined today so I'm not sure which thread it was in. I am reading a bunch though so I might stumble upon it.

I was thinking if I get them and don't like the black look I might take it to a body shop to get color matched, unless they are rubber. If they are plastic I could get them painted.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I weasled a set out of the dealer for about a C-note; they are indeed molded black plastic, and don't seem to require any additional holes. Because of the black bottom trim, they blend in especially well.
Moon

·
Registered
788 Posts
...I am not handy and don't really have tools to do it myself so I'm trying to figure out if I could get a break on the labor to install them.
In the same thread I attached above, I posted step by step installation instructions. The are VERY easy to install. The only tools needed are a small pry bar or screwdriver and a hammer. One hole has to be drilled but it easy to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those look awesome. I wasn't expecting such a good fitment or flow. They look paintable but since the trim/bumper has some of the same colored plastic I might not want to paint them white to match as it will stand out too much on those parts.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
they are brillliant, got them at employee price for about $70. Installed myself in about an hour. Best accessory I have bought, esp if you have 17" or up wheels.

·
Registered
781 Posts
yep. i bought them from partscheap.com and put them on myself. pics and my installation experience are in some thread on here. if you're capable with a screwdriver, a drill, and have a jack to lift your car up with you can save yourself some money and do it yourself. figure 1-2 hours for all 4.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have them on my Focus, the dealer gave them to me for "free" and installed them, he also ordered me the winter floor mats and they were in the truck on my car when I picked it up for the first time, again "no charge." Every member of my family (6-licensed drivers) all drive Ford/Lincolns from this dealer so they do look after us very well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thinking of having these installed, with the way winters are up here. Heck I am already seeing dirt buildup on the side of my car behind the tires.

Splash guards are the only feature on my car that I am interested in but don't have, so why not.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you plow through snow they are not gonna be so great.
I would not get them due to chances of going through snowbanks from driveways being plowed past etc..
Just more stuff to get the bottom of the car hung up on.. in Winter snow...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I thought splash guards were intended to protect ones car from all fords of road debris, including snow?

·
Registered
781 Posts
snow can build up on them. yes. but you can also just kick it off easily. they do protect your lower panels from rocks, debris, and all that snow from smacking up and hitting them. pick your poison, and your repairs.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I haven't had a problem driving through snow. The tires pack it down before the splash guards pass over it. There's always a chance you can damage the splash guards if you drive over the wind row that's been packed by the plow or snow that's turned to ice chunks, I worry more about the lower front bumper area when I have to drive over that stuff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe it's from having a 2002, but I went with splash guards this time. The main reason is seeing the paint on my 2002 from behind the front wheels flaking off. And, with the amount of driving I do, it essentially sandblasted the portion of the bumper that goes into the rear wheel well.

It offers a clean look - nothing gawdy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts