Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doubting I can do anything with them but I've setup, ported cyl heads and intakes before (S.A.M./SAMTECH grad) and was only curious to take a look. Any TB or manifold to cylinder head mismatch?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm doubting I can do anything with them but I've setup, ported cyl heads and intakes before (S.A.M./SAMTECH grad) and was only curious to take a look. Any TB or manifold to cylinder head mismatch?

Totally off topic but how did you like SAM? I thought about attending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Totally off topic but how did you like SAM? I thought about attending

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I loved it. It was the job availability and higher pay expectations in my post completion phase that was the issue. Moving to Mooresville, NC afterwards didn't help when you are competing with seasoned professionals in a bad economy (09). I wasn't willing to move to Austin for 14/hr with a family to support. But again, the education was great. Try to find a place that will hire you before you even attend is my recommendation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I loved it. It was the job availability and higher pay expectations in my post completion phase that was the issue. Moving to Mooresville, NC afterwards didn't help when you are competing with seasoned professionals in a bad economy (09). I wasn't willing to move to Austin for 14/hr with a family to support. But again, the education was great. Try to find a place that will hire you before you even attend is my recommendation.

Right I hear ya there, as regards to your question that would be awesome to have some performance ports for our heads and manifolds being the TTR intake wasn't a success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last manifold I ported was for 3 people. It was for the Mustang 3.7. The dyno test started around 4k in an auto. Same dyno corrected to SAE sea level showed a gradual gain from 4k to 5k and 12rwhp from about 5k to 6500+. On another, same port/runner work, I increased plenum volume 12-13 cu in with aluminium sheeting and splash zone epoxy (industry accepted for port work due to durability) but never dyno'd it. I had a solid 24 man hours in porting outside of the plenum work.

That's comparing apples to oranges though. In addition, this being a DI engine with no fuel injector bosses to shape/ minimize, I doubt there is much if any left on the table.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If there is power gains to be had, I am very interested. Glad you guys can pave the way and test and adjust. I couldn't afford it unless there's garunteed power

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There has been 2 custom intake manifolds made for the MK3 and both lost HP over stock at all RPM

Tom
There are definitely many variables to consider. With stock heads, stock valve jobs, valve lift, valve event timing... I doubt there is a gain with runner csa increases and possibly other changes would be to no avail as well. Did they change from stock runner length, csa, plenum volume, etc in these other manifolds? Were they designed with stock engines in mind?

With some as cast or as assembled pieces, there is mismatch, flashing, or other subtle changes that could be considered refinement and practically stock. IF gains could be had, it would be chasing that "last 1%"... which is something I've done before in my free time.

I just hoped for some pics but it's not a need. I'll eventually get around to looking at my stock 392 intake too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There has been 2 custom intake manifolds made for the MK3 and both lost HP over stock at all RPM

Tom
There are definitely many variables to consider. With stock heads, stock valve jobs, valve lift, valve event timing... I doubt there is a gain with runner csa increases and possibly other changes would be to no avail as well. Did they change from stock runner length, csa, plenum volume, etc in these other manifolds? Were they designed with stock engines in mind?

With some as cast or as assembled pieces, there is mismatch, flashing, or other subtle changes that could be considered refinement and practically stock. IF gains could be had, it would be chasing that "last 1%"... which is something I've done before in my free time.

I just hoped for some pics but it's not a need. I'll eventually get around to looking at my stock 392 intake too.
Do a search and you'll find them. I made one of them and it killed power. The runner lengths on both of them were far too short for the RPMs we run at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do a search and you'll find them. I made one of them and it killed power. The runner lengths on both of them were far too short for the RPMs we run at.
Stock manifold pics? I'll try a search. With all the criteria to consider, as I mentioned, I'd trust that the engineers were pretty close so there would be little to none in a "bolt on" scenario.

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
The Focus intake manifolds have always been good manifolds as for flow , HP and TQ
I took a cosworth knock off Duratec manifold which is well known to be a good intake for the Duratec and changed the mounting flanges so it would bolt up to the MK3 , it was one of the manifolds I tested on my Dynojet and it failed to add HP/TQ

The stock intake matches pretty good to the head and TB and I flowed the intake on my SuperFlow Flow Bench and they flow very well

All things being equal this is not a "stock" engine compared to previous year engines this is more a well built or race engine , aggressive cams , 12.2 compression , well flowing head etc etc , small things like port matching the intake wont show much if anything on these engines

Tom

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The Focus intake manifolds have always been good manifolds as for flow , HP and TQ
I took a cosworth knock off Duratec manifold which is well known to be a good intake for the Duratec and changed the mounting flanges so it would bolt up to the MK3 , it was one of the manifolds I tested on my Dynojet and it failed to add HP/TQ

The stock intake matches pretty good to the head and TB and I flowed the intake on my SuperFlow Flow Bench and they flow very well

All things being equal this is not a "stock" engine compared to previous year engines this is more a well built or race engine , aggressive cams , 12.2 compression , well flowing head etc etc , small things like port matching the intake wont show much if anything on these engines

Tom

Tom
Anyone try just roughing up the inside turn of the runners? I doubt there is separation but it would be interesting to try and then put it in the bench. Again... chasing 1%. I'd imagine, if there was something with that trial, it would show up top and a bench might not see it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For ?

Tom
To see if there's any gains to be had. Why else? It's not that I'm counting on that but that's just one example of very small changes that you can make that are easy and worth a shot based on experience and training working with cylinder heads and intakes. Again, chasing 1%... because it's fun and a time killer. It also wouldn't ruin a stock intake. This is all conjecture without hands-on inspection, touch, or at minimum, some good multi angle pics.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If there is power gains to be had, I am very interested. Glad you guys can pave the way and test and adjust. I couldn't afford it unless there's garunteed power
To avoid confusion, I am not going to port as a service. I could share information though.
Understood. I just meant I'd rather not do the work just to experiment, but would love to learn from your success. And yes, please share any results good or bad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts