Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today at work at nearly blinded myself when I looked into my LED headlamp (flashlight) and just as the apple fell, I wondered to myself "Hey self, I wonder why I've never seen LED headlights before." Sure one or two may not work, but lets say 20-25 large LED's in housing. Has anyone ever seen LED headlights, or would this even work at all?

·
Registered
71 Posts
They are currently undergoing testing by the armed forces (army?) for military uses.
From what I understand the quality and kind of led's would make the headlights very expensive.. but the prices are dropping rapidly.
I think some kind of honda or acura will be coming with them in late 2007

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would be awesome. The only reason I would guess that they would cost more, is because of the longer life and the whole "look at my wave of the future headlights" attitude. 5mm LEDs usually run around $1.50-$2.00 each.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I believe it's Lexus that is going to come out with them for low beam headlights in 2008 but I'm not positive on that. The biggest current drawback is heat, they don't emit heat like a regular bulb does, but instead need a heatsink to draw the heat away from the LED.

The next biggest challenge is getting the light to shine far enough down the road and still be useful. Optics and overall brightness are starting to get pretty good now.

5mm LED's would be the worst choice for automotive headlights as they are nowhere near bright enough. There are some high quality ones though and the efficiency is getting very good. Luxeon used to be about the best brand there was in terms of lumens per watt, but Cree has just come out with some LED's that are twice as efficient as those by Luxeon.

The next obstacle is the tint of the LED's. There is just too much variation in tint, and unless they get it to a exact science, you might end up with purple tint LED's or blue, or yellow. It might not be too noticeable, but if your picky on color, it might be disappointing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts