Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
There are a million variables - what kind of paint, color change, what damage is on the car, etc.

I am getting mine painted right now. I had a few dents, some cracks in the rear bumper, filling in 4 holes from license plate in front bumper, keeping the same Sonic Blue color.

I am paying $1200 through a friend on the forums. I got a quote for about $1700 from somewhere else. Custom will run really high.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
partial jack...... so to get the same color repaint, probably a lil cheaper than $2K?

·
Lets get twisted
2,331 Posts
I've heard around $1600 tp $1700 as well from local shops. It depends on where you go and if you are getting it custom done or not.

Not to thread jack but I have a question about painting. Do most shops leave the engine bay the stock color? Cause I was thinking about going liquid grey or sonic blue but my car is yellow now. But I don't want some ugly color contrast going on. I kinda figured they would have to remove the engine to do it but I just wanted to see. Or if it's possible for them to paint the more viewable areas near the top of the engine.

·
Too old for this...
2,253 Posts
I've heard to get a different color than the one you have now and to get the engine bay and entire car costs over $3k. But if it's the same color around $2k. If you take away the the engine bay closer to $1.5k.

But that's just what I've heard. It's also why I'd never dream of getting one. I'd much rather spend my money on other stuff to put in/on my car.

·
Super Moderator
9,581 Posts
Prices are going to vary from place to place and region to region. It also helps to know someone that does body work, I had my friend paint my fiberglass body kit and install it for me for just under $1200. To bad that didn't last long. The next year I went out and had the bottom half of my car painted blue for only $600, then later I had it changed to a different body kit being painted and various other parts mounted and painted as well for just under $1,000. It's all in who you know and how much time they are putting into it. Granted I did go out and buy all the supplies that run me an extra $220. Nothing like knowing the right people for when you need stuff done. But I am guessing if you don't know anyone that does this kind of work you are going to be looking at something around $2,000 or more. But if you are wanting to get down into the door jams, engine bay and every other part to where the old color would be showing you're looking at something in excess of $3,000 easily for the cheapest job to be done. That's probably just going to be for the labor cost of it too.

·
Registered
676 Posts
overall

Everyone here has given you some good advise! (give rep to them please).
My boyfriend and i run a paint shop, and the first thing we ask people is, ?how much do you want to spend? Thats really going to dictate what kind of finish you will get. Some of the clear coats we have used can get up towards $1000.00 a sprayable gallon. And thats not including base coat, any repairs, etc.etc... Just really think about what your ultimate goals for the car are. Remember, paint will not make you go faster, if anything it will add about 150lbs to the car! We allways recommend doing all your paint work last, after all mods/restoration. That way it doesn't get jacked when your workin' on it! Just take it slow and really think about what you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
depends if youre getting the same color again or new. repainting same color is a lot cheaper

Reactions: spacegravity4me

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
guys, i can't thank you enough for all the advice. I'm gonna take my time and worry about the cars construction first. Thanks again guys, rep for all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have got all my body work done at East coast Auto Body and they said about 1200 for my ZX3, but I also asked a guy that does local painting for the Air force base here and he said about 8-900...so it really depends on who you go to, look at some the work they do so you know your making the best choice.

--------------

"God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy"

Kipp2

·
Registered
431 Posts
i work at a body shop and paint is expensive and especially with the new waterbornes coming in they arent necessarily more expensive but if you have a shitty enamel paint job on your car your car will most likely need to be stripped and just omg dont even wanna think bout it but everyone has giving you good advice but a typical paint job will cost around 3 grand not 1200 unless its going through someone you know or if your gonna get some shitty place to do your car take your time like you had said look around if you go somewhere ask them how the run things and such because some places dont even take your car apart they just tape around everything boom done and you dont want that you want the entire car overhauled then prepped and so on and then assembled when its painted and then cut and rubbed gotta do some research my friend good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just got my car back from just a respray and it cost £2000 but that was fitting a kit also. And that wasn`t doing everywhere like you would do in a colour change. A spray job, even if its only a respray is big money, big effort and big time. So I got my foci for £2500 and payed £3000 on a kit and respray. You do the math.[idea]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.