Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody ever busted out the o-ring that goes from the housing to the head?

thats exactly what i did this morning. there's a peice of plastic there to hold the rubber o-ring onto the head and thats what broke.

just wanted to see if this happend to anyone else and if anybody new what causes stuff like that to happen.

maybe my coolant froze

·
Machinery Technician
7,322 Posts
it's a typical wear item on Zetecs and happens to just about everyone eventually. Mike at Hilbish can get you one at a good price. I got mine from him.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mike said he could get me one for $36, my zts is my dd so i needed on today so i went to the dealership, ugh they are bloodsuckers! they charged me $70!! for a little peice of plastic

·
Registered
788 Posts
^^^^ EXACTLY!!!!! i cracked the housing back when i did my clutch and was putting the tranny back in and i needed the housing asap so i went to the dealer thinking i was gonna pay like what mike gets for it( hadn't asked him at the time). told the guy what i needed and he went and got one, and i'm all excited cause he had it, he sets it on the counter then he's like..... "OOOkkkk that'll be 68.95"........ my face went from [:D] to [:(!] to [bawling] .... couldnt believe what they wanted for just that piece of plastic....... u don't even get the friggen thermostat with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Machinery Technician
7,322 Posts
definitely sucks to buy from the dealerships. i won't go to them unless it's an emergency and i need the part immediately.. well, at least you got it fixed

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes I too have busted said housing I believe at about 70,000 from what I understand it is a common wear part on a zetec.

·
Registered
210 Posts
im gonna replace my housing. its leaking and it's not coming from the o-ring and the housing is soaked so now i know to get the part from mike hey does the new housing have that o-ring to or did they do away with it

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I remember when my old car's housing cracked. I went to three separate Advance's that all told me on the phone that they had the housing I needed. None of them did...all were the other design (SPI perhaps). And then, I too paid out the nose at a dealership.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My housing leaks from an insert in an unused port. Changed the o-ring there a while back but the slow drip came back. Contemplating JB welding the plug in. ANyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
210 Posts
whats the purpose of the o-ring just something stupid to replace for ford to make a buck i mean if there leaking why not make a new housing with no o-ring

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Well, it's either they use a gasket or the o-ring, and why would Ford want to redesign a part that is making them money? The housing works reasonably well, and typically fails outside of any sort of warranty. As far as Ford is concerned, the part is perfect.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
flat gasget

Yes i thought a flat gasket would work better but my whole housing warped.My brother said some one should make a housing out of aluminum for high performance and would just hold up better.[strongman]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts