Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Titanium hatch just started requiring multiple presses to start the engine. It used to start on the first press. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Is there an easy fix? If not, was it an expensive one?

It's always something new; I'm getting really tired of this car... [?|]

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
My 2012 Titanium hatch just started requiring multiple presses to start the engine. It used to start on the first press. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Is there an easy fix? If not, was it an expensive one?

Please elaborate as most of us probably have not experienced this problem.

For example, doesn't start means doesn't crank or does crank for X number of seconds or...???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.) Get in car, depress brake.
2.) Push button.

At this point, the car turns on (lighting, radio, etc), but doesn't start (engine, vroom-vroom). Normally, only one press would have been required to start the engine.

3.) Push the button 1-3 more times
4.) Engine starts

In short, it's acting as though the brake isn't depressed (when it is) the first time I push the button and attempt start the car upon entering the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

Hi there,

Have you been to your dealer for this? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts

Definitely get this looked at ASAP. There was one forum member who posted on here some time ago that his Start/Stop button malfunctioned and would not turn the car off. His car idled for a very long time before he could figure out a way to shut it off.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The button flips a relay to the starter motor. It could also be the relay is failing.
If the electronics come on, then the button itself is still working. The problem has to be either as mentioned, in the brake switch (required for engine to turn over) or the actual starter relay.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Possibly it's the same issue with the TCM that we see with all of the no-start threads? At least I think that's usually the problem.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Sorry to partially hijack this thread but while we are at it...

How do you turn the car to ACC and/or just ON without starting the car with a push button system?

Mine is a regular key like all the cars I had!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Sorry to partially hijack this thread but while we are at it...

How do you turn the car to ACC and/or just ON without starting the car with a push button system?

Mine is a regular key like all the cars I had!
Don't depress the brake or clutch when pushing the switch turns the car to on/acc without starting the engine.

Your car uses the key to turn in the barrel to give you the illusion of starting it with a key, but in reality it's exactly the same ignition start sequence as the keyless system once the key is turned and the car reads the switch then it does it's automated start sequence. It's a turn key version of the push button start.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Don't depress the brake or clutch when pushing the switch turns the car to on/acc without starting the engine.

Your car uses the key to turn in the barrel to give you the illusion of starting it with a key, but in reality it's exactly the same ignition start sequence as the keyless system once the key is turned and the car reads the switch then it does it's automated start sequence. It's a turn key version of the push button start.
Sometimes you want only ACC mode (no air blower, no dashlights, wipers,lights etc) and sometimes ON mode (dash come on, headlights also) is needed like running OBD2 tools.

How can the car know which mode you want?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Sometimes you want only ACC mode (no air blower, no dashlights, wipers,lights etc) and sometimes ON mode (dash come on, headlights also) is needed like running OBD2 tools.

How can the car know which mode you want?
The pushbutton cars are on with the button depressed without the brake or clutch depressed, or in run when the button is depressed and the brake or clutch pedal is depressed, there is no separate accessory mode. Turn the HVAC off if you don't need it running.

Push button start system (if equipped)
If your vehicle is equipped with the push button start system, you can start your vehicle by pressing the
start button in combination with the brake pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission) rather than using a key. The start button is located on the instrument panel to the right of the steering wheel.

In order to operate the push button start system and start the vehicle, your intelligent access key (IA key) must be present inside the vehicle.Ignition modes

1. Off — press and release the START/STOP button without applying the brake pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission) when your vehicle is in on mode or when the engine is
running. Note: In order to switch off the engine while the vehicle is in motion, press and hold the START/STOP button for at least one second, or press the START/STOP button three times within two seconds. Then, shift to neutral and use the brakes to bring the vehicle to a safe stop.

After the vehicle has stopped, turn the engine off and shift into park.
WARNING: Switching off the engine when the vehicle is still moving will result in a loss of brake and steering assistance. The steering will not be locked, but higher effort will be required. When the
ignition is switched off some electrical circuits, warning lights and indicators may also be off.

2. On — press the START/STOP button without applying the brake pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission). This will power your vehicle’s electrical system and the warning lights in the
instrument cluster will illuminate, but the engine will remain off.
3. Start — press the START/STOP button (for any length of time) while applying the brake pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission).

There may be areas inside your vehicle where the IA key is not detected.
If the message KEY NOT DETECTED appears on your multifunction display when you press the START/STOP button, it may be necessary to move your IA key to another area within the vehicle. The IA key may not
be detected near the roof (between the driver or passenger sunvisor and the roof, or in the overhead console area) or in the extreme corners of the rear package tray, near your audio speakers. It is not recommended that you stow the IA key in these locations. If you move the IA key to a location where it has been detected before and you still see the KEY NOT DETECTED message, your IA key’s battery may be low or you may be in an area with excessive radio frequency interference. If this occurs,
you can use the backup method to start your vehicle (see below).

Backup method of starting: Your IA key uses a radio frequency signal to communicate with your vehicle
and authorize your vehicle to start when you press the START/STOP button and apply the brake pedal or
clutch pedal. If excessive radio frequency interference is present in the area, or if the battery in your IA key is low, it may be necessary to start your car by inserting the IA key into the backup location on the steering column. After inserting the IA key into the backup location, use the START/STOP button and brake
pedal (automatic transmission) or clutch pedal (manual transmission) to start your vehicle as usual. The vehicle should respond normally as long as the IA key is at the backup location on the steering column.

Once the vehicle is started, the IA key can be moved from the backup location, if
desired.
Fast restart feature: The fast restart feature allows you to re-start your vehicle within 10 seconds of switching the vehicle off, if a valid IA key is not present when the vehicle is switched off. You can re-start the vehicle (by applying the brake/clutch pedal and pressing the START/STOP button) for up to 10 seconds, even though the IA key is not present. After 10 seconds have expired, you can no longer start your
vehicle without the IA key present inside the vehicle. If the driver door is opened within this 10 seconds, the fast restart timer expires immediately.

Switching the vehicle off when not in P (Park): It is recommendedthat you shift into the P (Park) position before switching your vehicle off. If you switch your vehicle off with the shifter in any position other
than P (Park), the message SHIFT TO PARK will be displayed in the multifunction display. If the vehicle is left in this state, your key in ignition chime will activate when the driver door is opened, and you may
drain your vehicle’s battery. In order to avoid draining your battery, it is recommended that you always shift to P (Park) before or immediately after switching your vehicle off.

Absence of the intelligent access key: Once the vehicle has started, the vehicle will remain running until being turned off by the START/STOP button, even if the IA key is no longer found in the vehicle.
Whenever a door is opened and then closed while the vehicle is running, the system will search for an IA key inside the vehicle and the multifunction display will display KEY OUTSIDE CAR if the IA key is no longer present. This message is a reminder that someone else in the vehicle may have taken the IA key when exiting the vehicle. If the IA key is no longer present in the vehicle, you will not be able to re-start your
vehicle outside of the Fast Restart time (see Fast Restart Feature
above). It is important to be aware of where your IA key is located in the vehicle, to avoid becoming stranded without an IA key.

Stopping the Engine When Your Vehicle is Stationary
To stop the engine with the vehicle stationary, do the following:
1. Move the transmission selector lever to position P.
2. Press the start button.
Note: The ignition, all electrical circuits, warning lamps and indicators
are switched off.

Stopping the Engine When Your Vehicle is Moving
WARNING: Switching off the engine when the vehicle is still
moving will result in a loss of brake and steering assistance. The
steering will not be locked, but higher effort will be required. When the
ignition is switched off, some electrical circuits, warning lamps and
indicators may also be off.
1. Press the start button for one second, or press it three times within
two seconds.
2. Move the transmission selector lever to position N and use the brakes
to bring your vehicle to a safe stop.
3. When your vehicle has stopped, move the transmission selector lever
to position P.

Fast Restart
If a valid key is not present, the fast restart feature allows you to restart
your vehicle within 10 seconds of switching it off. Press the brake pedal
and press the start button within 10 seconds. After 10 seconds have
expired, you can no longer start your vehicle without the key present
inside the vehicle.
Once your vehicle has started, it remains running until you press the
start button, even if a valid key has not been detected. If you open and
close a door while your vehicle is running, the system searches for a
valid key. You cannot start your vehicle if a valid key is not detected
within 10 seconds.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi there,

Have you been to your dealer for this? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan
Meagan,

It just started happening. I suppose I'll add it to the long list of things (headliner falling off, incessant engine vibration, transmission problems) that I'm paying to have fixed at my dealer in the coming weeks. It's only money, right? The car is clearly at the end of its life around 44k miles.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Meagan,

It just started happening. I suppose I'll add it to the long list of things (headliner falling off, incessant engine vibration, transmission problems) that I'm paying to have fixed at my dealer in the coming weeks. It's only money, right? The car is clearly at the end of its life around 44k miles.
Thanks for following up.

Go ahead and send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll look into some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
472 Posts
Meagan,

Shouldnt your engine vibrations and transmission problems be covered by your warranty?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Shouldnt your engine vibrations and transmission problems be covered by your warranty?
Hmm, dealers don't seem to think so. Interesting how that works out, isn't it? [:eek:)]

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's 2012 Titanium just started having the same issue with the push button start needing multiple presses. Did you ever find a resolution? Thanks

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
My wife's 2012 Titanium just started having the same issue with the push button start needing multiple presses. Did you ever find a resolution? Thanks
Very unlikely you will get an answer from OP his Last Activity: 10-03-2014 09:20 AM.

Probably solved by the visit at the dealer...

I wish more people (especially new registered members) would publish more their result/finding than letting the question die like this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts