Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Anyone else running straight E85 tune?

20K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  TheItalian 
#1 ·
I just started out modding this car, but one of the first things I wanted was to run a straight E85 tune. Now I know that the flex fuel thing is OK from the factory, but factory E85 tuning is hardly optimized for running on this fine "race-gas for the street" fuel. Needed more timing!!! Torrie said he added a bunch of timing in the base maps, but after some logging and test drives the car is seeming to like +4 degrees global added on top of that!!! After trims settle down I'll send him some logs to make needed adjustments. There could be more lurking!!!

MPG's: For comparison, MPG dropped to about 24-25 for the first full tank of E85 on the stock tune. The first tank with Unleashed tune was 28, and this morning with +4 degrees global I pulled an indicated 35 MPG (been within 1 MPG calculated vs indicated on the dash so far). 90% highway driving for me, running about 4-5 MPH over speed limits with cruise set on fairly flat ground, full throttle entrance ramps though! [driving]

Before I get a dyno run to see what she's putting down, I'm going to at least wait until I get a header and MS3 catback put on. Until then, I know I'm putting down more power simply by first gear runs on the same "test track" near my house. 1st gear has no issues with stock tune, with E85 tune (even without any added tweaks yet) 1st gear flashes the traction control at me and the bog between 1st and 2nd shift is gone. This is roll-on to flat foot i.e. clutch fully out, then flooring it. #progress [twothumbs]

See less See more
#42 ·
Wait, you dont even drive a NA, you have an ST and running 87...[facepalm] running 87 will cause your car to retard ignition, pull timing and many other things not good...tuned or not...if you cant afford premium, why buy a turbocharged car

#43 ·
Did you continue reading what i wrote. 87 octane honestly wont cause harm, is why boost is lowered. Its just not as efficient as tuning to 91 octane. Nobody said anything about a financial hardship of being too poor to afford gas as well, dont get your panties in a bunch.

#45 ·
I never even ran 87 on my titanium for long, car ran better on 91 and got better gas mileage..high compression engine compared to STs low compression..everyone I know with an ST that even tried to run 87 said car ran terrible, I just dont know why you would do it.

#46 ·
If you drive it easy and wanted better mpg, 87 is best for it, i travel 360 miles every other weekend and it helps with gas, i measure by actually adding my miles drivin and gallons used, way more accurate then the digital scale in the car, that thing is way off. it does not drive terrible it works just fine on 87. I use 91 fuel in everyday driving though, just tuned for 87 octane so i only get 19.5lbs of boost vs 24, it is my daily driver. It is still fun to drive, no it is not a super car nor will adding 5lbs of boost get me there. Its my car, i am content with it. If i wanted to build a race car or 0-60 car it most definitely would not be a focus st, but it is a fun ride. Do what you want to your car, i honestly dont give a s***

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.