Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Me personally, I would be nervous running e85 on a tune designated for 93 octane. I'm interested to see the results though.
With Injected's tune I had the same concern. I emailed them and they told me it was fine provided my car was flex fuel. I noticed a smoother idle and more mid range torque. somewhat lacking on the top end though (5500RPM+).

With Injected's tune I had the same concern. I emailed them and they told me it was fine provided my car was flex fuel. I noticed a smoother idle and more mid range torque. somewhat lacking on the top end though (5500RPM+).
That's awesome news! Now someone go dyno the difference!!! Lol

I've got a 2014 Focus 2.0L flex/fuel vehicle, non-turbo charged. We want to maximize mileage with E85 or E100. Do you already have an SCT tune that we could have or buy?
Thank you so much, Don Siefkes, 586-596-4765

Help with E85 and E100 Ford Focus 2014

I just started out modding this car, but one of the first things I wanted was to run a straight E85 tune. Now I know that the flex fuel thing is OK from the factory, but factory E85 tuning is hardly optimized for running on this fine "race-gas for the street" fuel. Needed more timing!!! Torrie said he added a bunch of timing in the base maps, but after some logging and test drives the car is seeming to like +4 degrees global added on top of that!!! After trims settle down I'll send him some logs to make needed adjustments. There could be more lurking!!!

MPG's: For comparison, MPG dropped to about 24-25 for the first full tank of E85 on the stock tune. The first tank with Unleashed tune was 28, and this morning with +4 degrees global I pulled an indicated 35 MPG (been within 1 MPG calculated vs indicated on the dash so far). 90% highway driving for me, running about 4-5 MPH over speed limits with cruise set on fairly flat ground, full throttle entrance ramps though! [driving]

Before I get a dyno run to see what she's putting down, I'm going to at least wait until I get a header and MS3 catback put on. Until then, I know I'm putting down more power simply by first gear runs on the same "test track" near my house. 1st gear has no issues with stock tune, with E85 tune (even without any added tweaks yet) 1st gear flashes the traction control at me and the bog between 1st and 2nd shift is gone. This is roll-on to flat foot i.e. clutch fully out, then flooring it. #progress [twothumbs]
Please call me at 586-596-4765 or

Tom, while I can't speak for the US, here in Canada, while very limited supply and availability in some areas, the quality of the E85 seems very good and consistent...I know a few guys trying out a local E85 tuner and going to a dyno day so ill post some dynos with the results (previous dynos done for comparison sakes)

Reactions: Jburks
So has anyone actually dynoed the difference from 93 tuned to e85 tuned? I see a lot of people doing mods but no dyno or track times to see if it actually did anything.
There's a thread here with E85 Dynos. dude gained like 5-10Hp straight up with pump E85, no tune. I know it's somewhere in the TIVCT performance section. It makes a difference.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken Tom, I believe this was the thread and the poster was "Ronnie" who had gotten these results with E85

2012+ Ti-VCT intake kit test! Results with dyno graphs inside!

Sent from my 2PS64 using FF Mobile
In that link I mostly see intake dynos...it is 11 pages though......I do know a guy going to a dynoday running a e85 tune from a local tuner on sct4....before and after dynos will be available Sunday.....I was supposed to be at that dyno but cant go...wont have time to get tuning sorted out

You want to build a race car with much more power run off pure alcohol. I think its senseless, i built mine to be optimized off 87 octane, i wanted a little more power but im not trying to build a race car with it, it is my daily driver. But getting an extra 4-5 lbs of boost is nice. 87 octane has more btu's and is more efficient. Higher octane misfires more so the boost can go higher which wont as likely cause detonation and blow a hole in your piston. Thats why you do not want to put 91 octane fuel in a car tuned for 93 octane, unless you want holes in your piston....

You want to build a race car with much more power run off pure alcohol. I think its senseless, i built mine to be optimized off 87 octane, i wanted a little more power but im not trying to build a race car with it, it is my daily driver. But getting an extra 4-5 lbs of boost is nice. 87 octane has more btu's and is more efficient. Higher octane misfires more so the boost can go higher which wont as likely cause detonation and blow a hole in your piston. Thats why you do not want to put 91 octane fuel in a car tuned for 93 octane, unless you want holes in your piston....
That's not correct. Higher octane is less prone to misfiring as it is harder to ignite. Lower octane is easier to ignite and is therefore more likely to ignite before the spark plug fires. The PCM and knock sensor retards ignition timing within it's range of authority when it heard the tell tale signature of knock and pre-ignition.

87 Octane might have a few more BTUs worth of energy but it will pre-ignite easily and therefore is less suited for making power. 93 octane will allow for advanced timing within its range of authority making more power before knock rears its head.

That is the biggest paragraph of BS i've read all day

Reactions: 1turbofocus
Suss is right, i had different thoughts about low and higher octane gas and the timing. I was wrong, i get it, it happens. I read a lot of different stuff about it last night after reading a lot of forums, web browsing blah blah blah. Sooooo .i. to you too mr.bulls***

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.