Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '13 Focus SE used with 37895 miles on her, she was an Enterprise rental car. The second day I owned her, I got the shudders from the transmission. I came here to see if anyone else had experienced this, and that's when I found out all about the DCT. I had no idea I had a vehicle with an automated manual transmission, and that didn't have a torque converter. Well, the next day I changed how I drove my Focus. It had shudders about 35% of the time. 5000 miles later, the shuddering had lessened to about 15-20% of the time. Another 2500 miles later, the shuddering was down to 5% of the time. By the time the odometer hit 48,000 miles, the shudders were gone.

She now has almost 52,000 miles on her, and the shudders have never come back. All I did was drive her like she had a manual transmission. Just firm and deliberate pressure on the accelerator. Didn't have to mash the gas all the time. Stopped "coasting" through parking lots and traffic jams like you do with a typical ATX. If my foot is not on the accelerator, it's on the brake, during very slow speeds. Just like a manual transmission. That's all I did, and the shuddering is now gone.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
526 Posts
You are right on the coasting, I just keep the gas on as much as possible. Also when there is more weight in the car it shudders more, at least for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Go to your dealer as you probably have a car built with the bad seals and Ford extended the warranty for cars built before (I think) July 2013. No mater how you drive once the clutch discs are oil soaked the only fix is replacement.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought my '13 Focus SE used with 37895 miles on her, she was an Enterprise rental car. The second day I owned her, I got the shudders from the transmission. I came here to see if anyone else had experienced this, and that's when I found out all about the DCT. I had no idea I had a vehicle with an automated manual transmission, and that didn't have a torque converter. Well, the next day I changed how I drove my Focus. It had shudders about 35% of the time. 5000 miles later, the shuddering had lessened to about 15-20% of the time. Another 2500 miles later, the shuddering was down to 5% of the time. By the time the odometer hit 48,000 miles, the shudders were gone.

She now has almost 52,000 miles on her, and the shudders have never come back. All I did was drive her like she had a manual transmission. Just firm and deliberate pressure on the accelerator. Didn't have to mash the gas all the time. Stopped "coasting" through parking lots and traffic jams like you do with a typical ATX. If my foot is not on the accelerator, it's on the brake, during very slow speeds. Just like a manual transmission. That's all I did, and the shuddering is now gone.

Anyone else?
My situation was almost identical to yours, except I bought mine with 34k on it. It was a SoCal rental so it never saw really bad weather and other than the seats being typically dirty, everything was excellent about it. The best part was that the transmission had never (and still has never) been serviced.

The shuddering went away both in your adapting to the transmission and the transmission adapting to your style; it's always "learning" so over time you and the car met in the middle. Mine was a little twitchy for about 8k miles and after some aggressive driving and treating it like a 5spd, it settled down a lot.

There's a misconception about rental cars and reliability, while it's true that they're the fastest cars in the world and some come out worse for wear, any large rental chain will adhere or even exceed the manufacturer's service schedule.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I drove mine like a manual as well and it worked so well I didn't feel any awful shudders. It was noticing fluid coming from the transmission that caused me to go to the shop. That and the handful of times on the highway it went into neutral.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Its fun when it goes into neutral or should I say slipping. Problem is I do not press the clutch in to shift. I cannot find one on my Automatic. am I missing that part lol. :)

I still think its a great looking car (hatchback).

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go to your dealer as you probably have a car built with the bad seals and Ford extended the warranty for cars built before (I think) July 2013. No mater how you drive once the clutch discs are oil soaked the only fix is replacement.
There is no evidence the seals have been breached. The shuddering was most likely caused by poor driving habits of the people who rented her while she was an Enterprise car. This caused hard spots to form on the clutch plates. Driving the car correctly caused the hard spots to wear away. Taking the car 8000 miles of proper driving before the shuddering disappeared, pretty much proves that.

Not all of the seals in every car are bad. If that were the case, every MK3 Focus and Fiesta built before 7/2013, would be leaking like a sieve, and shuddering badly.

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I guess no one else has had this happen.

My situation must be a unique one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So I guess no one else has had this happen.

My situation must be a unique one.
My situation was almost identical to yours, except I bought mine with 34k on it. It was a SoCal rental so it never saw really bad weather and other than the seats being typically dirty, everything was excellent about it. The best part was that the transmission had never (and still has never) been serviced.

The shuddering went away both in your adapting to the transmission and the transmission adapting to your style; it's always "learning" so over time you and the car met in the middle. Mine was a little twitchy for about 8k miles and after some aggressive driving and treating it like a 5spd, it settled down a lot.

There's a misconception about rental cars and reliability, while it's true that they're the fastest cars in the world and some come out worse for wear, any large rental chain will adhere or even exceed the manufacturer's service schedule.

Apart from the mileage, the only difference between you and I is that you have an SE Hatch and I have an SEL Sedan. That, and geographical location. If you want to be that technical, your situation is in fact unique.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There is no evidence the seals have been breached. The shuddering was most likely caused by poor driving habits of the people who rented her while she was an Enterprise car. This caused hard spots to form on the clutch plates. Driving the car correctly caused the hard spots to wear away. Taking the car 8000 miles of proper driving before the shuddering disappeared, pretty much proves that.

Not all of the seals in every car are bad. If that were the case, every MK3 Focus and Fiesta built before 7/2013, would be leaking like a sieve, and shuddering badly.
Did not say or imply that all seals are bad. I have 2 Focus and 1 of them had bad seals. I lived with it driving all different ways like you and it went away and came back(the shudder). There was no external indication that any oil leaked out of the seals. Ford did a "shift pressure test"? and it showed a problem hence they replaces the seals and clutch discs. There was very little fluid in the "bellhousing" but the discs were soaked. My original post was ment to let you know that some early Focus had the same problem as you. Good luck with your new car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone else?
Same as mine, Same driving style, I know the shudder is not totally gone...No choice, I love the car, I live with it.

My car info:
2014(SE)
Rental Car(1st owner)
23,000 miles when I got it from local Ford dealer as Certified.
27,000 (present Mileage)

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same as mine, Same driving style, I know the shudder is not totally gone...No choice, I love the car, I live with it.

My car info:
2014(SE)
Rental Car(1st owner)
23,000 miles when I got it from local Ford dealer as Certified.
27,000 (present Mileage)
No, my shudder is COMPLETELY gone.

I see you have put 4000 miles on your Focus, and you still have some shuddering. If I read you correctly. When I had put 4000 miles on my Focus, I still had some shuddering, but much less. By the time I had put 8000 miles on my Focus, the shudder was gone. Now I have put 14,000 miles on my Focus,(Yes, my odo now reads 52,000+ miles, and that is in only eight months.), the shudder hasn't returned. Plus, the DCT shifts from gear to gear a lot crisper than it did when I bought her.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Sounds right to me. I have only ever owned manual transmissions so when i started drivig the focus it just felt normal to me. i drive it like i drove my manuals before and i have zero problems with it. i love this car and the tranmission.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts