Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First oil change since FF11 when I changed my CV axles, and I have a passenger side axle leaking. I'm going to double check some other stuff today while the car is off the ground, but I'm sure I'll end up replacing the seal soon. At least the transmission isn't whining- so that's good for all things considered.

AFAIK I must've either damaged it when I put the axle in, or it was just it's time at 135k miles. I'm just curious if other people had the same problem. It could be possible that the axle isn't in far enough also, and that's what I'm checking today. I do see what looks like a groove on the axle where the seal should ride just barely poking outside the transmission, but I can't remember if that's normal or not- I'd assume not. I might have to drain fluid, pull that bitch and replace it if it won't go in further. It could be built short.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It's possible the seal got nicked by the splines on the shaft when either removing the old or installing the new. That passenger shaft is an arm full when trying to get it back in and not rip a boot/ over extend a joint........

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, AFAIK it's not made wrong. The groove isn't a groove, it's a recessed portion where the splines are- and likely for the seal too. I'm going to fill up for now and put in a new seal after I get some Ford fluid.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Did the axle seal have 135k on it and why didn't you change out when doing the passenger seal? Sounds like an old seal coupled with doing the axle shaft making it leak.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the axle seal have 135k on it and why didn't you change out when doing the passenger
Because I've seen more than enough axle seals last much longer. Axle seals, like rear seals are something I don't like replacing unless it's bad. On rear seals, for example, I always get into an argument with myself over changing it if there's no manufacturer part available, and it's not leaking. More than once I've had to re-do rear seals made by aftermarket manufacturers, and that's something you don't forget.

There is another option: I overfilled. When I pulled the fill plug, fluid kept coming out, and it appears that it is full. I couldn't tell to my satisfaction with my pinky, so I used a tiny screwdriver to double check. It had plenty of fluid on it- and like I said, no matter how many times I wiped- I even wiped inside the threads- fluid still dribbled out. I think it's the angle of my driveway, and probably the hurried nature with which I finished my CV axle job a day or so before I had to leave for FF11. The moral of the story is- if it isn't leaking, make it leak by overfilling!! LOL

Anyway, I sprayed down the area of the splatter with purple cleaner and blasted it with water so hopefully I'll be able to see any new leaking if any. My only regret is that the underside of my car was crud free until this- grrr. I probably won't be able to clean it completely until I either do a clutch or engine. I hate that too because when I used to own POS used cars, they always ended up leak free and cleaner after I'd had them for a while. Now that I am working on my first new car, which now has more miles than some of the POSs I bought, I'm creating leaks- LOL.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
180,xxx, have replaced both axles ... seals not leaking.

Kinda sounds like the stub isn't in all the way. Mine fits tight enough that the bell of the CV almost touches the trans. Can fit the tip of a pen between the two but not the whole pen ... so what, about 1/8" gap or less.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, wrong side though. The short side doesn't leak. My problem is on the passenger side, and I loosened the carrier bearing shackle, worked the axle back and forth a little, and it's all the way in. In the end, I think my seal will probably be fine as well. I'll just have crud to deal with from overfilling slightly. I'll probably have to clean more crud off whenever I get around to getting Ford's transmission fluid to put in it. I was in a hurry, so I'm running synthetic 75/90 right now. I still had half a quart left, so I guess Ford was serious about the 1.3 qts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hmm, no when i pulled the axles out during my clutch job, they arent leaking yet. Most likely the overfilling you mentioned, but it would have to be a lot of over filling

1 - 8 of 8 Posts