Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I admit there are a few times I HAVE gone well over 2,000RPM.
But I mean in City driving..
I find I can easily go eco-mode and drive with a very light right foot. Keeping the RPM under 2,000. Never getting into boost... In City driving. Actually accelerating a lot slower than average.

I am still only at 160 miles so far in three days of ownership. So I am 'playing around' seeing what sort of mpg I can get if I am easy on the go-pedal.

Part of me still liked my 2012 SE which I always got 32 mpg city.
I want to get at least 28 mpg city from my ST.

I have been hitting freeways too much of late to know for certain just yet.
But like right now my mpg meter is giving me a mpg uptick across my local long and flat no stop road just before I am home. This is with a 34mpg in the screen. (It was coming from a freeway ride) Still an uptick means the level, 30mph in 5th gear across the bridge the engine was doing BETTER than 34mpg.

I see good mpgs coming from my car.. If I can resist turning into a racing maniac just yet.

The nice thing is I can go fast when I really want to. LIke on the freeway passing a semi. etc. And going around corners fast. (one of my favorite things... City or freeway.. fast turns are fun.)

--- --- --- ---

I can see this topic is not the sort anyone with a ST would appreciate.. Kind of a 'If you want to do this they WTF did you buy a ST for?" sort of moment for St owners reading this thread..
LOL

It is more of an experiment. And breaking in the engine. true the engine does not need a lot of initial babying.. But it does not hurt, and in the end the engine may be better for it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'll put my 2 cents in. I've had my ST for 2 months, of those 2 months I've driven it a total of 10 days. In those 10 days I've put just over 1500 miles on it (Over the road truck driver only spend a few days at home a month). I'd say I drive 60/40 city/highway. It's 200 miles round trip to the terminal i keep my truck at. Now I've averaged roughly 24mpg. The best I've seen was 30.3 (all according to the trip computer) and that was my last trip out to the terminal, cruise set to 72mph. I was curious to see what it would get so I kept my foot out of it. Usually though I'm shifting around 3000 rpm because I just can't hear the thing. The car is so quiet I'll leave it in 5th gear because I can't hear it. The stupid shift light reminds me to shift. I know I COULD shift at 2000 but it almost seems like it has to dip into the turbo at such a low rpm to keep moving. Anyway, I don't see my car ever really seeing much above 30mpg no matter how I drive it. I enjoy the boost too much to be a light foot.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I generally shift around 3000rpm, I average 22mpg city with some sprited driving. On the hwy I can touch 35mpg if I'm not in a rush.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am easily into 5th gear at 30mph in the ST..
The MK3 Focus SE I had in first second third I could shift easily at 2K rpm.
Fourth gear at 25 mph. fifth at 32mph.
The ST is the exact same car with a bigger engine. And the ST has more HP at 1,500/2,000rpm than the SE.

And the ST can get up in the 3K 4K rpm with no boost... just need a light foot.. LOL
Yeah i agree it is all crazy.. So what. My car.. I can fool around any way I want.

·
Registered
265 Posts
"And the ST has more HP at 1,500/2,000rpm" really? Does the dyno show that? I assume little turbo boost at that speed. I'd think the standard MKIII higher compression would match or beat the ST's very low RPM power.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Its called riding the ''torque wave''= nothing wrong w/ that.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After having the MK3 Se manual tranny for 3 years plus, and now the ST, I can authoratively say the ST has more low RPM grunt than the SE.
I an talking at 800rpm up to 2,000 rpm.
The ST NEVER bogs letting out the clutch. NEVER. THE SE could, almost anytime you blinked.
THe SE I had did better with the snorkle delete, and a free flowing air filter.. but it did not match the power/grunt of the ST off idle.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
I wouldn't expect it to, maybe a full bolt on mk3 could beat an ST off the line in the low RPM band but that's iffy at best. Glad you are enjoying the new car, I test drove an ST not too long ago and actually found the car to not be as smooth down low as my 2012, maybe that's just because I wasn't used to it though.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Right off the top I know this topic isn't directed me because I drive and SVT and not an ST. But with that said I can't imagine driving an ST any differently. I rarely shift below 3-4k and most of the time it is between 4-5k even in town. Getting onto the highway 90% of the time it is between 6-7k. [driving] I doubt I could ever drive like you. You must have a wealth of patience. I'm glad you're enjoying your new ST even if it's at a snails pace. [joke]

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Rarely over 2000rpm? I rarely shift under 2000rpm. lolThe car isn't a baby and it's good to stretch out those gears and coming from years of racing I really can't help it when I drive most cars to shift a little higher than the norm.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rarely over 2000rpm? I rarely shift under 2000rpm. lolThe car isn't a baby and it's good to stretch out those gears and coming from years of racing I really can't help it when I drive most cars to shift a little higher than the norm.
Yeah I hear you. Usually freeway on ramps are where I will let it rev up and out.. As I mentioned, I am still breaking the ST in. So still taking it very easy all around. But I drive a lot on city streets.. Not much to do if I do not want tickets.. So I play games with driving... [angel]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
MrOrange - the SVT makes it's power by revving, the ST pumps it in with the small turbo. Different engines....

Short shift the ST by comparison to the SVT.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Everyone is differant but durring break in I am all for being easy.

I am planning on getting an ST next spring and the first 1000 mile for me will be long and gruling with keeping it under 2000k and under 55mph.
Even if I get an SE or other new car the break in will be the same.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Break it in like you intend to drive it"
Is a good suggestion. Though i would say for the rings, running full boost while they are breaking in will leave the owner with average to poor compression forever.

I want the rings fully sealing and only after getting blasted with full boost... eventually.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Seat the rings by varing the rpm, up & down. Vari your speed & use 2 & 3. And I don't mean hard throttle.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Many engine builders insist on seating the rings by moderate/heavily loading the engine in the first few minutes of run time. Immediately take it out and WOT in 3rd or 4th. The exact opposite of babying it around town for the first few weeks.

Not tons of rpm, but you need cylinder pressure.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts