Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 05 focus with a 5 speed and recently had to change the powersteering pump due to a little reverse fun.
but the pump i bought is now going bad. autozone will take it back. but then ill still have to buy another one.
my question is does anyone in here drive without powersteering? and how is it? manageable or complete rubbish?[?|]

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i know people on here run without powerstearing...

now i dn't have experiance or anything but i have heard people say that the car is less twitchy with out it and is completely managable

·
Registered
406 Posts
i dont see a reason to run without it you wont gain that much of an advantage without running it

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its not gunna work in a month anyhow. its a matter of saving or spending money.id imagine a litle better gas milage, less work the motors gotta do..

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i drove without my PS for about a month.
i didnt notice any gains or anything like that, just kind off a pain in the ass to steer on the curvy roads of TN.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Um, maybe less work for the motor, but more work for you lol. Idk, my car has died on me on the road a few times and powersteering was lost....to steer it was like trying to push a 500lb weight. Get it fixed, the car was not designed to be powersteering less...also try to go for oem parts if the ones your getting are failing.

BTW...No more warrenty?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
its not as bad as people make it, it is hard to turn the wheel if at a standstill but if rolling you can turn it.. its a little tough but fine to drive a few of our Vans had the racks go and we ran them till the pumps seized then cut the pumps out and installed shorter serpentine belts.. to me it all depending on the car, non power steering dun bother me.. it just takes a little getting used to

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Problem is the way most do it is by plugging lines. So basically you are pushing against the residual fluid making it a real PITA. There is a way around this, which I won't tell, though your welcome to search and may find the answer.

Really though there is no gain and it's not something I'd recommend doing to a power rack.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Yes, far as longevity is concerned. But like I said there are a couple ways to bypass the pump. Do it the wrong way and you will probably grow super huge arms and eventually blow out a rack seal, the other way you will create more internal ware and the rack will fail premature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts