Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going to cut my springs instead of buying lowering springs my buddys both have cut springs on there civic and rsx so i was wondering if anyone has cut theres on there focus i have a zx3 so let me know

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
[welcome] Welcome to FF !!

The first question is why do you want to cut the springs?

Before I go any further, this is an important question, but your response is even MORE important.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
DONT DO IT!!! You drive a focus, not a riced out civic! Besides, lowering springs are cheap and easy to install. Did mine in about 3 hours.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
dont cut it!! youre gonna regret it.

just save money and do it right the first time [thumb]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
If you cut them and you are just trying to lower ur car, you will rub all the time cause the dampers and springs aren't stiff enough!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
dont cut if anything heat the springs and compress one layer at a time....if you cut your springs arent going to seat right and it will be bumpie as shit...

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
NEVER CUT SPRINGS

lowering springs are so cheap, and doing the job right the first time is always a good idea

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my response

[welcome] Welcome to FF !!

The first question is why do you want to cut the springs?

Before I go any further, this is an important question, but your response is even MORE important.
well i was just wondering if anyone has i understand sometimes its not possible to even cut the springs but some times there is a rubber cushion that allows the spring when cut to sorta sit even still but ill just save up for the eibach kit i think it is ? thanks alot for caring and yeah i really dont want to hack up the focus i just thought maybe it would ride alrigt still lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
only thing im buying off ebay is my exhaust header and i already have the intake and short shifter i cant believe how a cold air intake can make it sound that much better cant wait for my exhaust head then ill buy the underdrive pulley off focus sport im just doing bolt on things nothing fancy

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
dont cut if anything heat the springs and compress one layer at a time....if you cut your springs arent going to seat right and it will be bumpie as shit...
WRONG! never heat the springs! this will do catastrophic damage! this changes the entire springs load and temper. cutting the springs is FINE. chip foose does it all the time to high end cars. so did boyd coddington and so have i. as long as you cut them 1/2" coil at the time and do it with a band saw or sawzall etc and not a tortch. DO NOT HEAT THEM! the colder the better. i have more experience with suspension than anyone that has posted so far i guarantee it. ive bagged and dragged trucks and slammed cars and trucks. ive heated and cut springs before and ive also done alot of homework on suspension. cutting down a coil is ok to an extent. just do it right.

·
Registered
395 Posts
well i heated springs on alot of civics and they come out good. i cut the springs on my mini truck and a town car and they were to bouncy not good for a dd.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
heat = the devil. the springs will keep sagging over time. when you add heat to a spring you take away its springy-ness.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
as am i. which is never heat them PERIOD. i have heated springs. cut springs. replaced springs. bagged. body dropped, juiced and everything else you could imagine to a suspension and im telling you heat is the last thing you put near a piece of sprung steel.

Reactions: kenzx3

·
Registered
0 Posts
WRONG! never heat the springs! this will do catastrophic damage! this changes the entire springs load and temper...
X2, Do NOT Heat the Springs, very bad idea and very unsafe. Honestly try to find a decently used SVT Suspension and be happy with that or buy the eibach kit as stated. Check out the Suspension Forum for more info on Dropping your fofo.

Also, there's a Garage Day on November 8th in Central Maryland (about 2.5 Hours from you) if you need help installing a set of springs I'm sure there will be plenty of people to help you with that. Check out the Mid-Atlanti Region for more info on that. [thumb]

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
I have to agree with Gonzo also. If you have no other choice, then cut the springs- but you'll need a lot of blades as the metal is not a sissy metal.

When you heat the springs you destroy the crystalline structure of the steel and weaken it. If we had a car with heated springs to compare to a car with cut springs and a car with installed lowering springs all in the same place- then we could eliminate doubts from those who rode in each.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
cutting springs can be done, bu on our cars, they already ride low, and you will bottom out more. not the best idea. Yes, its been done all the time b4, but on other cars.

CHIP FOOSE FTW!!! haha, he makes some awesome stuff!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts