Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyones opinion on the aftermarket steering wheels? Im about to replace mine but im not sure what size ide like and who makes the better ones?

There is a momo one ive been looking at but maybe i dont need one quite that good? I know i want one that is a quick release.

Since im in a wheelchair ive pretty much had to tear my whole dash apart to get the hand controls to fit. My interior looks like trash becasue i havnt been able to put it all back together. My plan was to replace the wheel so i could fit the bottom panel back on and some what finish the dash.

I also figured since i have to pull my chair into the car after im in it, the quick release wheel would get it more out of the way so i dont tear the inside up any more then i have.

My last car i tore all the door trim up and i knocked my rearview mirror off about 10 times.

I know ill lose the airbags but im going to replace the seats as well and between the wheel and the seats im sure ill have issues with them anyway.

I guess my question is, who makes the better ones with in reason on price, and what size would be good for the focus?

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
I think someone over on FJ did theirs a couple months ago but was not quick release. Think he used a 14" Sparco with a Momo mount. He also used Sparco NOS button paddles to keep his cruise controls. Not much to go on....sorry.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sparco is a decent wheel?

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
They actually make some of the best steering wheels along with Momo.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I think your biggest cost will be the hub adapter. I checked around and they're about $80-90.00. If you go with the 6 hole hub, you can get whatever you want from eBay. I paid quite a bit for my Momo setup. I know 5 years ago, I paid around $70.00 for the hub and probably over $100.00 for an 11" wheel. Just for a change, I bought a 13" wheel on eBay for about $20.00. It is a 6 hole wheel so it went right on. It's also about a 3" deep dish, where the Momo is relatively flat. I switch them back and forth just for a different feel. I haven't looked into the quick release at all. But, I do know all the 6 holes products match up. The Grant wheels are pretty cheap at the parts stores, but those are 5 hole and your options are very limited. Also, keep in mind. The more you add to the stock steering column, the closer the wheel is to you. I use the adjustable column quite a bit when I change wheels. I started my change over with Crowder Customizing. it's a good place to see what's available, but quite pricey. But all the seller's charge alot for the top brands. Don't enter Focus in the search, they don't show much. Go to each category for better results.
http://crowderscustomizing.com/index.php

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a black quick release NRG hub and a momo wheel. Hope everything fits.

I should of looked up the size of the stock wheel. Where the hand controls are i can drive with my left hand its close enough to push the gas with the tips of my fingers and hold the wheel with my thumb.

With a larger or smaller wheel i might have to readjust everything.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think your biggest cost will be the hub adapter. I checked around and they're about $80-90.00.
Oh man i didnt do enough research on this one. The quick release is just over $100. and thats just for the quic release. This isnt even going to fit the car.

I also need a short hub which actually fits over the bolt on the car and then the quick release bolts to the short hub. I might be able to bolt the wheel tot he short hub and then i could botlt he wheel to it but it wont have the quick release.

Im already in for $120. for the quick release, $150. for the momo wheel and now i figure out i need the $115. short hub. im about at $400. now [rolleyes]

There is an NRG complete kit with wheel and all adaptors for $330. it seemed way over priced now i think its the best deal.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
i got a momo came with hub. air bag light stays on bc i was to lazy to put a resitor in the plug for it confuse the comp. Horn still worked but I loved it. Might sell it.....focus got wrecked in september

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not sure what pins are for the horn? [scratch] It looks like a small 10 pin plug or something. I figured it was for the sensor, airbag and the horn

I took my cluster apart and put electrical tape over the air bag light when i had it apart. I knew eventually i would change it.

Its slightly smaller then the stock one, i cant believe how heavy the stock one is. wow!

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
dont remember honestly. I do know that the horn is triggered by a negative(-) switch if that helps u figure it out.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dont remember honestly. I do know that the horn is triggered by a negative(-) switch if that helps u figure it out.
What about this, do you know how the airbag works? I traced the leads off the plug and i see a gray and a black wire which goes to 2 pins i think is for the horn switch. The other leads go to the airbag. My question is, if i cut the plug will that discharge the airbag in my face? or does the airbag use voltage to trigger it?

Its scary just holding it because ive seen some youtube videos of people messing with these things and they are more or less bombs stuffed in behind the cover. I dont really care to poke around on a bomb if you fallow me.[unsure]

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
I know that feeling. I took both airbags out of my sedan, and felt uneasy the whole time.
How does the quick release work? It just pulls right off, or is there a button you push?

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
What about this, do you know how the airbag works? I traced the leads off the plug and i see a gray and a black wire which goes to 2 pins i think is for the horn switch. The other leads go to the airbag. My question is, if i cut the plug will that discharge the airbag in my face? or does the airbag use voltage to trigger it?

Its scary just holding it because ive seen some youtube videos of people messing with these things and they are more or less bombs stuffed in behind the cover. I dont really care to poke around on a bomb if you fallow me.[unsure]
Safest way I read and what I did was disconnect battery for 15min before unpluging that airbag harness. Don't cut. Just remove completely. And now that you describe it the 2 pin plug was definitely the horn.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
I know that feeling. I took both airbags out of my sedan, and felt uneasy the whole time.
How does the quick release work? It just pulls right off, or is there a button you push?
Asking me??? If so mine wasn't quick release.
If not asking me...are you asking about the one in the picture on page1? I wanna know what that aluminum or billet bar/handle is that's coming of the column....

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a sleve and a button. You push the button in like a safty thing and then the sleve slides up over the button and the button locks the sleve up in the unlock position. When you put it on you just push it in and it unlocks, the sleve pops down and then locks back into position. Its pretty neat but cost me about $400. for the wheel, quick release and focus hub adaptor. About $100. more then i was planning.

There is an ebay seller who has the NRG wheel, quick release and focus hub as a whole kit for $330. i should of got that but i wanted to pick out my own wheel. I wasnt sure about the quality of NRG but now that i have the stuff its not bad. That kit would of been a way better value.

The short hub you can bolt the steering wheel right to that if you wanted. They sell focus hubs that arnt quick release that are only around $70. but i like the idea of being able to move the wheel out of the way if needed.

Asking me??? If so mine wasn't quick release.
If not asking me...are you asking about the one in the picture on page1? I wanna know what that aluminum or billet bar/handle is that's coming of the column....
Well i wasnt planning to cut the plug while it was on the car and hooked up. I wanted to cut the plug off the stock wheel after its off and use the plug to plug back into the coloum and wire the momo horn to it. That was what i was thinking

I just dont know alot about airbags if they have an electrical charge built into them and then use some kind of ground or short to trigger the airbag in a crash.

The billet bar is the handicap controls so i can push the brake and gas to drive with. Im handicap

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
oh ok thats pretty nifty. I ended up after unplugging going with what you were gonna do. I just used butt connectors from the plug to the new wheels horn. As far as how it works...storing a charge or what have ya...gots no idear

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh ok thats pretty nifty. I ended up after unplugging going with what you were gonna do. I just used butt connectors from the plug to the new wheels horn. As far as how it works...storing a charge or what have ya...gots no idear
Yeah i was thinking butt connectors as a second idea. I think i can sell the stock wheel or airbag and get some of my money back if i dont cut it up.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHat size wheel did you get? I got mine used from some one on e-bay it is the Momo "tuner" i think its a 350mm? its slightly smaller then the stock wheel though. Not really enough to feel much different.

Here is the quick release, this is how it looks when its on the car and locked in place.

You push the silver button and slide the gray sleve up and it then unlocks the wheel so it can pull off.

Here is the plug, you can see the 2 end pins go to the green and black connectors. Those i think go to the horn they dont seem to have anything to do with the airbag unit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts