Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i think i bent my trailing arm... i have positive camber after "drifting" into a curb... i know [facepalm] anyways... i have replaced control arm(spring sits on this), shock, springs, subframe. what do you think i bent? ps i hit the curb hard enough to bend a steelie almost in half...

also when this happened my car had toe which was able to be fixed and it also has positive camber...

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Did the same thing. Try changing the toe arm. Like a dogbone.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no this was a while back... i have been through a set of shocks already with it like that... its not really super bad but you can tell...

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
That drawing is pretty good. A few things are mislabeled though.
1) Trailing arm
8) Upper control arm and the toe arm is the lower arror
9) Lower control arm

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im going to bump this back up. see if anyone has had this issue yet and solved it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd say the toe-link & camber link. Jack up your car & pull the wheel off & see what's bent.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
There are a set of toe arms for sale in the BST..................you should get them.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have taken off my wheel many times to look... in the air.. on the ground... i cant see anything. it is barely positive camber but it is..

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
If its barely positive camber then an alignment might dial it out. Bent spindle sounds promising. Maybe take off both wheels and use a level to see for you what is bent.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mac you can't adjust the camber at all on these cars.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still trying to see if someone has had this same problem.

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
The trailing arm is designed to flex and bend for proper alignment so it will never cause a problem unless its been cut or cracked. The only thing in the rear subframe that could create positive camber is a bent lower control arm. The camber and toe arms would make the camber more negative if they were bent. Most likely the impact didn't damage the toe/camber arms keeping them straight but the lower arm supporting the spring bent bringing the bottom of the wheel closer to the center of the car. It could also be the hub but they usually sheer off or just eat bearings in that kind of impact.

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
Basically if you visualize the car sliding sideways into a curb, the bottom of the wheel takes the impact not the top so the lower arm takes all the inward force while the toe and camber arm usually will try to pull themselves out of the subframe if the lower arm doesn't bend. So if you have replaced all those arms and still have the positive camber then you have an issue with the subframe being bent.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
It's hard though possible you could have tweaked the mounting point for the lower control arm on the subframe itself.

Also yes it's pretty hard to stretch a part vs compressing it [hihi]

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
did you guys read my first post? hahahaha

i replaced the lca and rear subframe already and suspension

·
Registered
202 Posts
i had the same thing- ended up replacing 4, lower 8, and 9. tiresplus told me it was spindle but that wasnt the case; spindle is very tough to have a bend or distortion unless complete f* up has occurred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same issue here

Though I was not drifting...at least purposely. So I hit a guardrail backwards on the highway. [8] clipped the top of the tire. so maybe a negative camber. I have been trying to figure out why I rub/scratch at every bump. Just changed the shocks and tires, the one wore out the inside, body shop said it might be trailing arm . Looking to buy the correct part and replace but the name/part number seems to evade me.
Any new updates?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts