Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily commute is going up from 5 miles a day to around 90 miles a day soon and I'm looking at ways to squeeze out better performance and MPG of my new to me 2013 Focus...

I'll be doing the snorkel delete and K&N drop soon and I'm thinking about the newmission mod (thanks to Dyn085 & Newmission for all the work) because about 90% of my commute will be freeway driving.

I was thinking that if I go with a K&N E-9289 Filter (with removable cap) I might be able to keep the airbox intact and instead use the opening in the top of the filter to duct the cooler air from outside the engine compartment. The K&N spec on that top opening is 2.75 inches... and living here in Phoenix heat soak will be a major issue in the summer months if I just leave the cap removed.

It looks very tight in that area behind the headlight but has anyone thought outside the (air)box and found a workable solution?

Thanks for input!

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
There have been big differences in performance amongst different cars with the Newmission mod. You're better off just doing the K&N w/ snorkel delete.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There have been big differences in performance amongst different cars with the Newmission mod. You're better off just doing the K&N w/ snorkel delete.
I agree, I read both the threads in their entirety and that was the same conclusion I came to.

This is the exact reason why I was thinking of trying a variation of the Newmission mod without cutting apart the airbox. If I did not see the gains, I could just pop the cap back on the K&N, remove any ducting and I would be good to go.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've done the mod plus added a brake duct scope, with stainless screen on it, to the end of hose. Removed the triangle piece also. The pictures are posted on here somewhere, and yes it does make more horsepower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts