Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to integrate an offroad LED light bar into the grill of my 2009 focus if that is possible. Has anyone done it? I would like to wire it into my brights of my headlights switch to get added light while driving at night. If you have any tips or can give me some instructions on this please do! Thanks!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
It would be the same as adding to an MK1 or MK3...Find a spot to mount it, power source, good as gold.

Somebody did do a light bar in the past couple months but I forget who. It turned out real nice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have 2 rigid dually d2s 3200ish lumens each, it's awesome! Want to get a light bar to put behind the grille, or 2 4-7in kc hid spot lights!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I like that setup! I want to do something similar on mine - can you provide more info? Does it blind people? I'd like to mount them on the top of the grille opening right against the plastic grille so it kind of points away from oncoming drivers to avoid blinding them.

Either that or putting in a small bar behind the center section of the grille.

Edit - you have a block heater too. Can you provide some info on that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The lights are awesome, yeah they would blind people, but the section of highway to my work is divided, I have driven in the daytime with them on before, no one flashed or anything, but rigid does make a dot/sae driving or fog light version that you should be able to drive with all the time, without worry about blinding! It was a little tricky figuring out where're out them, because I had to cut the lower grille inserts, so once I started there was no going back!

On the note of my block heater, I couldn't tell ya much, came stock, but from what I've heard they're a real pain in the ass to put in, but for me, definitely worth it, considering it drops to -40 or -50c at night here pretty often!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too have been looking into this. The highbeams in our cars suck, especially with the hilly / windy roads where I am. Do you guys think something would work if it was behind the lower grille (SES)? Not a fan of having huge lights on the front like some of the ricers I see around me. I've been trying to find some slim LED lights to hide in the upper grille as well, but everything I find is too thick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, you could definitely put something behind the grilles, I opted for in front, because of the lack of mounting surfaces, and it would have meant taking the bumper off to get behind it! Wish the lower grilles came out individually!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree, Taking the front off is a pain. Had to do it once. However I REALLY like yours a lot, the lights fit perfectly with your grille style. With the SES style I feel like the light bar / lights would look too out of place. But I am also worried that grille would prevent the light from spreading well if they were behind it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Where mine are, I noticed that since the lights are so close to the ground, you lose a bit of distance from them, I want to make a custom grille so I can mount some higher up.
I think on the ses grille a small light bar, like 16" or so, would look great, instead of two pods like mine!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in the same boat as you DaMiFo. I would like to hide an LED bar somewhere in the grill due to my very sucky high beam headlights. If you find a product that works, please let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Where mine are, I noticed that since the lights are so close to the ground, you lose a bit of distance from them, I want to make a custom grille so I can mount some higher up.
I think on the ses grille a small light bar, like 16" or so, would look great, instead of two pods like mine!
Yes, that's what I'd love to do! But LED bars are sooo expensive. I've seen a couple people do that on the new ST's but I've never seen it on our cars. But I would imaging the light couldn't scatter high above the ground (defeating the purpose) if it was behind.

I'm in the same boat as you DaMiFo. I would like to hide an LED bar somewhere in the grill due to my very sucky high beam headlights. If you find a product that works, please let me know! Thanks!
I've tried a couple different bulbs in the couple years I've had my Focus (stock, Sylvania ZXE's (current, love them), Philips, etc) and they all suck with the high-beams. One thing I've been thinking about is sticking two slim lights in the upper grille - I just can't find anything that would fit (in the opening next to the Ford badge). I have also been thinking about cutting the upper grille's two openings on the bottom part to put lights there, or maybe even lights behind those parts.

Here's a couple things I was thinking about. Made a few quick pics in PS. (Sorry about the pic from Instagram, it's the only one I could find of the car during the day where it's directly in front)

·
Registered
78 Posts
But those are just fog lamps, not bright high-beam / flood lights. In my area the roads are very windy and with lots of hills, I need to see more than what's above the height of the headlights, which our highbeams barely light up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ended up ordering the pair of R.I. SR-Q2 lights. I want to see if I can somehow mount and aim them from behind the upper grille. But worse case scenario I'm just gonna put them on the top of the lower grille.

Hey Davemc09, how did you wire yours up?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Factory fog light switch if you have fog lights I have mine mounted to the upper portion of the lower grill just like you were going to do they might bounce a bit thought

1 - 20 of 61 Posts