Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious and notice any difference in wear after looking at the main bearings(difference in oil pressure or anything at all). Thanks for any info fellas

·
Registered
139 Posts
Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com - go to their forums and look for German Castrol - that is kind of a flavor of the last couple of years oil - it's 0W30 and highly thought of - you'll find dozens of Used Oil Analyses of it, and most seem to show excellent performance. I won't buy the stuff myself, but it's for non-rational reasons.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I've checked out that site a couple of times it has some good info. I was more curious if anyone here had personal experience with the svt and this weight. Seen small but noticeable horsepower gains on other engines(yeah I know frictional gains). Just wondering if anyone may have experienced it on the zetec? Thanks for the info fellas

·
Registered
139 Posts
There aren't too many Foci UOAs there unfortunately, and apart from tearing down the engine, that's about the only way to find out how it does in the engine. My gut feeling is that it would be fine, as I don't know any cars that RECOMMEND a 0w30, but the weight seems to perform well in most all normal applications. The Castrol product is infact a 'heavy' 30 weight, despite the fact that it's also a 0...

·
Registered
139 Posts
If I can ever get into a place where I've got a garage again, I'll probably run a couple of UOAs on my car, but I can't say exactly when that's liable to be.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I remember reading that the 0W designation is for when the oil is cold. Once the oil warms up to operating temps, it'll be a 30W. I doubt you'll see significant HP gains. Only thing I noticed was I got an extra 1-2mpg using synthetic. I'm sure synthetic will protect your car better over the long haul.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You'll get more oil during blow by with the 0w. So if you use it, check your lugs more often, and your oil levels. hp gains are a min if any. Is it really worth it to you? 5w20 Full Synth is the best your gonna get.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
Mercedes Benz SLK 320's require 0w-40 along with its chrysler counterpart.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You're only going to see real benefit from using 0w30 in winter conditions. Otherwise stick with 5w20 or 5w30.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
i use the 0w30 in my regular zetec and the car seems stronger for it. the oil seems to get up to temp and pressure much quicker than with 5w30. as far as starting temp, i live in texas, nuff said. i have over 18,000 trouble free miles on mobil 1s 0w30 (6 oil changes). i highly recommend this oil to anyone considering it. some of the info at bobistheoilguy.com is the reason that i chose to go with 0w30. i have been considering 0w40 if i start going to the track or autocrossing more often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts