Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I don't doubt that it could be legit because at least one or two do exist in the US. The part where it get fishy is whether or not it can legally be driven on public roads by a new owner. I don't know the laws in AZ but I know in NY (where I live) it would never pass inspection and I would never be able to register it for the next 20 years until the car is over the 25 year threshold.

·
Registered
527 Posts
would be very cool tho :O

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
2010 Focus RS

Sounds fishy. But then again.... [dunno]

I don't have $40,000-$75,000 to throw at it but hey, this is pretty cool if it is indeed legitimate.

[driving]
100% illegal, all the pictures still show mexican plates. This was a Mexican Focus RS Mk2 and is not over 25 years old, therefore illegally in the country and fraudulently for sale as a road legal car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The VIN Decoder on Ford's website shows that it's a Focus ST Coupe built in Germany... It shows 4 cylinders but a 2.5L engine. [screwy]

I'm no expert but that doesn't sound right...

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The VIN Decoder on Ford's website shows that it's a Focus ST Coupe built in Germany... It shows 4 cylinders but a 2.5L engine. [screwy]

I'm no expert but that doesn't sound right...
What vin-decoder? You have to check with etis.ford.com, not the us databases.

Per etis.ford.com

Focus 2008-, 2.5L Duratec-RS (305PS) - VI5, Ultimate Green

VIN Number: WF0GP3YP8A4101517
Primary Features
Build Date: 13.10.2009
Vehicle Line: Focus 2008-
Body Style: 3 Door Saloon
Version: RS Version
Engine: 2.5L Duratec-RS (305PS) - VI5
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual Transaxle - M66
Drive: LHD FWD
Emission: Stage IV Emissions
Air Conditioning: Dual Zone Auto Temp Control A/C
Territory: (+)"MEX"
Paint: Ultimate Green
Interior Fabric: Dinamica/Volume / Lime

It's an RS built for Mexico. All Focus RS models were built in Germany, and none are road legal in the USA.

Sure Ford owns a few in their fleet for testing, but those are only legal under the M-Plates for testing. The other RS models here that are privately owned are all registered in Mexico and have to retain their Mexican registration to be able to drive here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand now. Like I said, no expert.

How would you be able to keep a Mexican registration though while living and driving in the US?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I understand now. Like I said, no expert.

How would you be able to keep a Mexican registration though while living and driving in the US?
You either have to own property in Mexico, or be a Mexican citizen iirc in order to maintain registration of the car in Mexico.

There are only a few RS over here under those conditions. They also are likely supposed to return the car to Mexico periodically for a period of time (6 months or so) every year, though some of them are flirting with being illegal also for not exporting the car back out of the country.

I.e. unless you're from Mexico and brought over the car while you're visiting the U.S. or hold property there it's kind of sketchy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts