Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big guy...6'2 200 Lbs...and my seat sits back pretty far. As I'm sure some of you tall people have come to realize, in the upwards position your elbow scrapes the center console..and in the lower position (esp. w/an STS) one must shift with the wrist to avoid sliding the arm along the rubbery surface. My plan is to modify this part of my car so that it is comfortable in both the upright position and the 90 degree position. Anybody got any ideas?? Any input will be helpful! Thanks ya's!

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
well if you could shorten the whole thing i.e. lower the column it sits on, that way you could get your arm over it and shift and when its up it wouldn't hit....
correct me if thats not what you need.... but id like to do it too... even tho the latch on mine is broken :(

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
they also make a center-console without armrest.

I know where you're coming from too. 6'4" and 260 lbs, with my seat way back too, and it drives me nuts.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Then there's me, about the same as Reed in height, weight. I actually PREFER the armrest to lean my elbow on when shifting. I drove my bro's focus without the armrest and it was big time uncomfortable for me.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
My last focus had no arm rest and I hated evry long trip I took b/c of it. If I am in a racing/spirited driving mood I just lean the armrest back and enjoy the drive and when I'm done its nice to be able to rest my arm there.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
S2 said:
Then there's me, about the same as Reed in height, weight. I actually PREFER the armrest to lean my elbow on when shifting. I drove my bro's focus without the armrest and it was big time uncomfortable for me.
ahh, you misunderstood me. I love the armrest. My arms are long enough, that I can just rest my arm on the rest, and flick the grar lever around with my fingers. What I don't like is, during spirited shifting, people tend to use there arms a lot, and really row through the gears, and I hit my arm a lot, when I'm doing that. Otherwise, I love my 'rest.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Couldn't stand mine... put in a center console without an armrest. I'm about 5'9" but drive with the seat well back. The armrest was in the way of my shifting when it was down - besides sitting too high, and my elbow hit it when it was up. Bad ergonomics for me, it was my first mod - outta here!
You could probably work it lower, with a lot of messing around. I think you'd have to work up some fiberglass to lower the console part, and inside the console the armrest is mounted on a steel "tower" bracket that would probably need cutting and welding to be made lower.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may just try and lower the whole arm rest a couple of inches..not too low though because of the E-brake. As soon as I have time i'll get started on it!

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
sounds good... put up a how-to cause i love my rest, i just want it a little lower....
if theres anyone who has the console with armrest lying around and wants be rid of it PM me.... i want one that actually closes right....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I thought mine was annoying. I thought of removing it. But then I drove a friend's SVT w/o the armrest. Getting into the car, I nearly fell over, as I guess I use the armrest to get myself positioned in the seat. I'm 6'-5" & ~225 lbs, and the armrest is in the way in either position. I find myself either shifting with my elbow on the arm rest and using a flick of the wrist or keeping my arm on my leg, and shifting with a flick of the wrist.

My wrist is getting good at shifting...[:D]

Something lower would be great, so if you make some mods, I'd be anxious to see how it turns out.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday when I test drove the SVT I didn't even realize it didn't have an armrest. At first I actually liked the way it felt but then my shoulder sagged a little and I found it less comfortable. I am not gonna get rid of the arm rest because I value it during long drives but I will see what I can do to get it to my liking...One thing though...I don't think you can beat a focus when it comes to interior space!! Us tall people should be proud that we have cars capable of fitting us comfortably. I have fit 5 6'+ people in my car at one time and..though my knees were at my steering wheel..they still had plenty of head room and were for the most part comf in the back seat! Just another reason to buy a focus over a ricer burner!

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I've noticed that a lot of the people that actually like the armrest are taller people with long arms.

I'm 5'9" and I can't stand it. My husband is about 5'11" and he can't stand it either. Now one of our friends that is about 6' loves it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I absolutely hate the armrest in the down position because it forces me to shift with my wrist, which is not very comfortable. In the up position, though,the armrest doesn't bother me that much. My fear is just that someone's going to accidentally open the latch, and everything's going to spill to the ground behind me.

Cheers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
turbovation said:
Yesterday when I test drove the SVT I didn't even realize it didn't have an armrest. At first I actually liked the way it felt but then my shoulder sagged a little and I found it less comfortable. I am not gonna get rid of the arm rest because I value it during long drives but I will see what I can do to get it to my liking...One thing though...I don't think you can beat a focus when it comes to interior space!! Us tall people should be proud that we have cars capable of fitting us comfortably. I have fit 5 6'+ people in my car at one time and..though my knees were at my steering wheel..they still had plenty of head room and were for the most part comf in the back seat! Just another reason to buy a focus over a ricer burner!
Yeah!

I can wear a hat in my car...

Couldn't say that about my '95 T-Bird.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
i am 6'2" and i love my armrest. I always have it in the down position. i did find it a little bit uncomfy to start with, but i put some softer blue fabric on the top of it, made it quite a bit more comfy to move my arm on.... only problem is that after 2 years the fabric has faded....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Im 6'3 and i would absolutely die if i didnt have my arm rest to lean on!

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
im 6'2" and would probably be falling over all the time without my armrest.....
i tend to constantly drive one handed like i have a MTX even tho im rocking an ATX......
but yes... i just wish it would latch and that it was just an inch or 2 shorter....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
all i know is my arm rest is a piece of you know what....i can't put it up cuz the latch is broke & won't stay closed

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
ZX3_Chick said:
I've noticed that a lot of the people that actually like the armrest are taller people with long arms.

I'm 5'9" and I can't stand it. My husband is about 5'11" and he can't stand it either. Now one of our friends that is about 6' loves it.
If you decide to get rid of it, PM B16... (something), he's on this site all the time and works for a dealer. He can get you all the part #'s
I became an expert on getting the console in and out.
Swapped the console for a SVT console. Then pulled that in and out to put in the Steeda STS. Then pulled it again so I could hook up the console power point. Now I have boots on the way for the shifter and e-brake and will have to pull the console again (for the e-brake boot). Do yourself a favor and get all the things you want to do together ahead of time [:eek:)]

·
FoFo Quebec!
1,486 Posts
Well I found another good reason to get rid of my arm rest this winter. Here in Quebec, we get a lot of snow and I like to do some crazy skids using the e-brake and the arm rest is in the way in either position. I'm gettin' rid of it, period. Happy that some here enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts