Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering one of the main reasons for the harness and alternator failure is the heat from the exh manifold and the Cat, is there any ways to reduce the heat?

Wrapping the alt in alum foil?

creative air ducting to the alternator? (I've seen this on 90's and early 2000's BMW's)

thanks in advance

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Yes there is.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Well...............GIVE! LOL

I'd look at choice #2. The alt is aluminum, dunno how wrapping in more is going to do anything. Maybe if thick and included some insulation barrier in between, how I isolated a rubber hose that ran next to exhaust headers once.

I've given thought to opening up more air passageway in the alt castings before. Creatively arranged around the fan flow pattern of course. The regulator commonly overheats to fail on these so putting that in the loop probably wouldn't hurt.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Wrap your exhaust in something like DEI Titanum heat wrap all the to the end of the flex pipe. It'd work wonders IMO......

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Oh, I am such a dummy. That could help. I am not a big fan of that stuff after seeing what damage it does to steel headers after driving in rain enough to corrode holes in them when the wrap holds in water. OEM headpipes though are thicker and it might lower some heat there.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^ You are far from a dummy.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Can't rip them if I don't myself in the same fashion................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts