Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my perfect Focus Titanium hatchback exactly like I wanted two states away and flew down to California to pick it up yesterday. It was beautiful, sitting there with that wonderful tuxedo black paint with the sunroof, nav, winter, and handling packages. Just as importantly, it had no other options that I didn't want that would cost me money and just be more things to break. In 15 hours of driving (from airport to dealer and then to home in WA), I'm a few miles short of 1000 miles. Not surprising, the part I like the least about it is how absolutely buggy the MyFord Touch system is. It locked up a couple times so that I had to wait until the next rest stop to turn the car off and reset the system. When I brought my wife and kids out to show them the car today, it locked up to the point that it didn't even turn off when the car went off for a few minutes. It did eventually and when I turned the car back on, I got the "doing system maintenance" message and it started working (and I use the term "working" loosely here) again. Sometimes it doesn't stream music from my Windows Phone until I turn the car off and back on, and other times it might do that but the voice directions from the navigation mute the music but doesn't actually speak aubily. It's also still very slow to respond and frustrating, although slightly less so since I knew from this forum to expect it. [rolleyes]

That said, is there a way to get this thing upgraded sooner rather than later? I didn't have the choice to wait on buying a car, as my last car got totalled by some genius not paying attention while driving and I wanted this exact car in tuxedo black which isn't being made anymore. I thought the MFT system might not be perfect, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. This is my first Ford vehicle since we had a 2000 Windstar that was bad enough to make me swear to never buy a Ford again. All the great press and having a 2012 Focus be my rental car while the insurance company handled the crunching of my last car changed my mind. I'm trying to keep my optimism about the car because it's otherwise pretty awesome. I'm currently wishing that I had just bought a separate GPS instead of paying big for the MFT/Nav system, or that I could get nav without MFT.

Also, I work at Microsoft here in Redmond (so I'm very familiar with the software development cycle) and will be trying to track down what's going on with it here. If I find out anything that is allowed to be passed to those outside the company, I'll do so. The local dealership seems to know less about the MFT problems than I do from just reading this forum. I hate to say it, but at this time anyone who asks me if they should buy a vehicle with the MyFord Touch system will get a firm "not unless the current very serious problems get fixed" response. [mad]

As I said, this is my first Ford in over a decade so I'm new to the support system for the Focus and MFT. If anyone could point me to a "Do this to get the problem addressed ASAP" resource, I would greatly appreciate it. [thankyou]

BTW... here is info on what I currently have. Nothing other than version checker showing on the syncmyride.com website for me.

Confirmed installations:
BT4T-14D546-AN
BT4T-14D546-GA
BT4T-14F496-AR
SYNC compatible software
SYNC compatible software
BT4T-14F603-AN

History shows: BT4T-14D544-BL Gen2 - V2.10

·
Banned
363 Posts
I thought all you guys up in Redmond drove 911's and Lambo's.....??

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the MFT. Welcome aboard. Call the CS hotline and get your name on the fix list. Request that a regional rep call you back. Mine is still not perfect.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am also debating on this after seeing all of the problems. I have read conflicting things about Ford re-contracting the software to someone other than BSquare and having it completely redeveloped on an accelerated schedule.

At least one owner indicates that he got the "July" update early when his car went back to the assembly plant in Michigan because of poor fit and finish and he was told by the Ford engineers/techs that the update would not roll out until later on.

Strangely he has not posted any further impressions so I suspect Ford asked him to keep hush hush about it as he is apparently an alpha or beta tester now.

Since this platform is spread out across all new Fords I would imagine that getting it improved and re-designed is an absolute top priority for Ford as they are getting a bit of a bad image over it.

I would be curious to see a full breakdown on what the difference is between the MFT vs. the regular Sync system as far as what features/capabilities you lose between the two. Also, I have listened to both stereo systems and the Sony one with the MFT is light years better than the stock stereo in the SEL.... which makes the decision harder for me. If I could get the Sony stereo with just Sync and bluetooth streaming, etc, worked, I would consider just skipping MFT and getting a dedicated NAV unit installed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Unfortunately, MFT comes packaged together with the Sony system. They will eventually fix MFT, it's just a matter of when will it happen.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unfortunately, MFT comes packaged together with the Sony system. They will eventually fix MFT, it's just a matter of when will it happen.
Well, "fixed" is a relatively loose term. They could patch up the freezes and improve the voice recognition and call it "fixed". To me, personally, the totally non-intuitive interface layout, slowness, poor touchscreen sensitivity, etc, would all have to be addressed to consider it "fully" fixed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, "fixed" is a relatively loose term. They could patch up the freezes and improve the voice recognition and call it "fixed". To me, personally, the totally non-intuitive interface layout, slowness, poor touchscreen sensitivity, etc, would all have to be addressed to consider it "fully" fixed.
Well I would certainly hope you let Ford know how you feel about it before they fix it. That way they might even fix it the way you like. Just out of curiosity, what is slow about it?

I was referring to major black screens and system maintenance screens that are to me unacceptable.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well I would certainly hope you let Ford know how you feel about it before they fix it. That way they might even fix it the way you like. Just out of curiosity, what is slow about it?

I was referring to major black screens and system maintenance screens that are to me unacceptable.
I don't own one yet so my feedback to Ford would be empty noise. They spend most of their time worrying about owner feedback as it is far more damaging to their reputation than the thoughts of a "looky loo" like myself.

The interface was very slow and the buttons are tiny on the touchscreen. I had a very hard time, even when the car was parked, selecting the button to turn down the EQ setting sliders, changing the AC level, etc. The use of additional redundant controls is also confusing (you can change things through Sync, through MFT and also through physical controls).

If I was Ford I would be hiring a top notch design company to re-do the interface layout and then get the software done as quickly as possible, even if it meant pruning out a few more difficult to implement features. I would imagine that the majority of owners would be willing to settle for a little less functionality if the system was faster and easier to use.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Heh.. I haven't actually talked to anyone else here in Microsoft that knows what's going on yet, but from reading here it sounds like the company that Ford gave MFT to when they booted Bsquare was Microsoft. My problems are very slow responsiveness in addition to the hangs and crashes. I do think the UI could be designed to be more intuitive, but it's fine for me now that I've had it a couple days. When it works well, it's pretty awesome. It's just that that doesn't happen very often.

And judging from experience, customers are definitely not willing to sacrifice features to get a whole package working better faster. Once the problems are fixed, customers will definitely (and rightfully) complain about features promised but not delivered, especially if they saw them for a bit and then they're gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my Focus on Friday. The only problem I've had so far with MFT is the sluggishness, especially when trying to enter an address into the navigation.

It's so frustrating to enter an address for the third time because it suddenly pops up a list of streets while I'm typing, which causes one of the streets where I was ready to type my next letter to get accidentally selected, and then when I go to correct this, it doesn't remember what I had typed so far, so I have to start typing the street all over again.

In order to deal with this, I have to type even *slower* than the already sluggish input speed in order to ensure it won't popup the street name list before I enter the next letter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Its sluggishness and slowness to react to button presses are some of the major complaints of critics. I recall hearing that Ford is working on those with software patches. I expect fixes to be included in the major update in the fall. (I expect the immediate fixes are mainly for crashing/rebooting.)

Critics have also complained about the small buttons and duplication of controls. I don't expect any of those things to change. (Although IMO, if there's a button on the console, there shouldn't be a quasi-button on the screen because it won't work as well and takes up space making other controls smaller.)

IIRC, Ford did say they wanted to address the number of touches to do what you want (i.e., "simplify" it), but I wouldn't expect menu layouts/configurations to change until the next model year or later.

Here's a youtube clip of a Ford employee demonstrating voice commands. It shows responsiveness issues like the MFT, especially when speaking an address.

·
Banned
571 Posts
I've never been able to successfully enter a GPS address using voice. I have to stop and type it in manually.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just want to view a friggin map!!!

[rant]

I bought my Ti on the 4th (labor day weekend), and I've yet to get a gps map on the MFT!!!! This is like the main reason to have the upgraded system!! I've read that the gps map feature is not released, and I find that a disturbing. Really though?? Why even have a huge screen in the dash???

If anyone knows how to solve this I will then be COMPLETELY satisfied with my Ti

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
[rant]

I bought my Ti on the 4th (labor day weekend), and I've yet to get a gps map on the MFT!!!! This is like the main reason to have the upgraded system!! I've read that the gps map feature is not released, and I find that a disturbing. Really though?? Why even have a huge screen in the dash???

If anyone knows how to solve this I will then be COMPLETELY satisfied with my Ti
Did you order it with Nav? It's not standard on the Ti.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I should have nav, cause i have the option to get turn by turn directions....but i just want an idle screen of a map when i need it. i cant stand waiting to be told where to turn next.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I should have nav, cause i have the option to get turn by turn directions....but i just want an idle screen of a map when i need it. i cant stand waiting to be told where to turn next.
You only get an onscreen map if you bought the GPS option, the basic Sync directions does not give you a map.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lame!

Why is it a "salesman" can not "suggest" these offers? REALLY?! Or even the SYNC Tech????
Looks like I've got to trot down there and give them some lip!

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I just got done talking with a Sync agent and they claim that my Ti does not have the Nav. Also that if i did, the dealer wouldve gave me a map sd card?

Is this true? How difficult and expensive can the nav be for an upgrade? I really dont think i should come out of pcoket for it, this option should have been offered to me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You can't upgrade to the NAV if your car did not come with it. No idea why ford does not offer this as an option, but they don't. If you did not get the car with NAV you are hosed.

Look at your vehicle sticker. If there is not a $795 line item for NAV then you don't have it and the agent is correct (which they probably are).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow. I'm very upset to hear of this. Ford should have told me of this before I decided to buy the car. There's gotta be an option, otherwise I will not hesitate to [rant] a storm.
[mad]

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Lame!

Why is it a "salesman" can not "suggest" these offers? REALLY?!
It is always a good idea to do your homework (researching packages, options, etc. on the Ford website) before visiting a dealer.

Salesmen are often misinformed, careless, or lazy.

Before going to a dealer to order my car, I knew exactly what I wanted (including all options).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts