Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to CO (Nederland or Conifer) area in the summer of 2010. I am finally financially able to go FI on my Focus, 2004 ZX3 Zetec. I am about 85% saved up for a kit, but I notice that CO does emissions testing.

Do any of you have a turbo kit? If so, how do you pass emissions?

I knew I should have bought a PWSC when I had the chance[?|] at least then I could have kept my cat on for the testing...

Maybe I should just say 'screw it' and get a Jeep Wrangler...get a 6" lift and put some 37" on it and get into off-roading instead of street performance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the double thread... I hit submit once but my Internet connection timed out and then when I hit submit again and it posted twice...[scratch]

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
There's someone here with a turbo Civic hatch... I'll see if I can get her to chime in for you.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
There are plenty of turbo cars that are passing emission testing. CO of course is not the only one that does Emission testing. I would contact Randy at Focus Sport, their shop is in CA so all of their customers have to pass emissions. Give him a call he may help you out.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I live in CO and I know a guy from fj who lives up in the denver area that had a turbo'd focus and I know of one or two others round these parts. The big thing here in CO is the visual inspection: ie gas cap and restrictor, cat coverter, 02 sensors, etc. Other than that, they are pretty slack. Get a good tune for the car and you should be just fine.

There are a number of us that are running procharger, jrsc, powerworks kits and we all get along just fine. I have seen some serious jalopies roll through and pass.

Here's the URL for the emissions program here in CO: http://www.aircarecolorado.com/
and
Here is a link to the 5280 section on the jet where just recently someone asked the same question: >> Click Me <<

BTW - Conifer or Nederland would be a damn fine place to live. You'd be out in the foothills and there are great roads right out your door there. Hope you are into mtn biking and the like cause they both have some great trails out that way.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
once it gets here, he'll have 280hp, lol....kidding. But altitude sucks like that.

Tom is it a member on the boards here?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in CO and I know a guy from fj who lives up in the denver area that had a turbo'd focus and I know of one or two others round these parts. The big thing here in CO is the visual inspection: ie gas cap and restrictor, cat coverter, 02 sensors, etc. Other than that, they are pretty slack. Get a good tune for the car and you should be just fine.

There are a number of us that are running procharger, jrsc, powerworks kits and we all get along just fine. I have seen some serious jalopies roll through and pass.

Here's the URL for the emissions program here in CO: http://www.aircarecolorado.com/
and
Here is a link to the 5280 section on the jet where just recently someone asked the same question: >> Click Me <<

BTW - Conifer or Nederland would be a damn fine place to live. You'd be out in the foothills and there are great roads right out your door there. Hope you are into mtn biking and the like cause they both have some great trails out that way.
I love mountain biking, hiking, snowboarding, snowmobiling, kayaking, etc... I grew up in Michigan so any and all outdoor activities I love!! Plus I love the snow and want to be in as much of it as I can while still having a reasonable commute (1 hr 15 mins or less) to Denver/Boulder for work.

As far as the visual goes, can I just get a custom downpipe w/a cat converter and just install it when I need to go in, then take it off when I am done? Tom, maybe you can chime in on this one?

As far as a SC goes, I would love to buy a Powerworks kit, but I am weary about spending that kind of money on a used SC.

And doesn't the ProCharger unit sits kinda low to the ground to be driving around in the snow with?

Thanks for all the input....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"As far as the visual goes, can I just get a custom downpipe w/a cat converter and just install it when I need to go in, then take it off when I am done? Tom, maybe you can chime in on this one?"

Anyone?

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I am telling you, if you come out here, you might want to think about doing the front mount on the procharger. Some of the roads out here can be nasty....they don't do well taking care of them.

As far as the visual is concerned, yes...you would only need it to pass. But you really arent gaining a whole lot ORP vs HiFlow cat. So whats the point really, other than to be really loud.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am about 85% saved up for a kit
Looking to get a new or used kit? I'm kicking around the idea of selling my kit (tom's) and car to go with something diesel or factory turbo'd.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Iv been a field tech here in Denver since 1996 & avoided any inspections because of their rapid screen program here. As long as you run a cat, a good tune, pass the mobile rapid screen trucks a few times a year, you should avoid the visual inspections as long as you don't do WOT runs when passing one of the trucks on a FI focus. The mag chloride that they use here is more harmful then the deep snow on the PC setup.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I'm kicking around the idea of selling my kit (tom's) and car to go with something diesel or factory turbo'd.
Damn man, I just found a tuner here in the springs and off you go talkin' that silly talk. [:p]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As far as the visual is concerned, yes...you would only need it to pass. But you really arent gaining a whole lot ORP vs HiFlow cat. So whats the point really, other than to be really loud.
So if I get a cat welded in on a turbo kit, have a decent tune, I should pass then?

Would it be really expensive to have someone customize a kit with a cat in it?

Tom, if someone brought a car to you and asked you to weld in a cat, would you do and whats the ball park price on that?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Damn man, I just found a tuner here in the springs and off you go talkin' that silly talk. [:p]
I know...I know. Leaving to catch a plane home here in a few minutes, maybe I'll come to my senses when I see the car again tonight.

Did you end up going to that other tuner? How'd it work out if so?

Just put a cat in your straight pipe behind the flex. Will work the visual.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
yeah, I went over there for a bit. We got a pretty good tune going now, just working on a few minor quirks and everything will be right as rain. Here's the dyno:

I talked to him about a few others who might be interested in having him tune their cars and he is up for it. Costs a lil bit, but he's pretty methodical about his tuning. Takes his time and will tune it on a Superflow, where he can simulate daily driving conditions and such.

·
FF Affiliate
31,164 Posts
I see a few things in your dyno that need to be addressed , you should ask him to look at it and see if he can find and adjust them

No dyno will simulate daily driving good enough to not have to do some tuning on the street

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,164 Posts
So if I get a cat welded in on a turbo kit, have a decent tune, I should pass then?

Tom, if someone brought a car to you and asked you to weld in a cat, would you do and whats the ball park price on that?
All you have to do is get a HFC and bolt that in , it comes with the CAT in the piping and it just bolts right in where your stock CAT and piping was

Tom

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I see a few things in your dyno that need to be addressed , you should ask him to look at it and see if he can find and adjust them

No dyno will simulate daily driving good enough to not have to do some tuning on the street
Yes, this print out is a bit premature, there are some small tweaks that need to be made still. But what I meant to say about the dyno was that he will drive it through each gear and hold at different rpms while adding various amounts of load to the rollers on the superflow and then make the necessary adjustments. Of course he goes out and drives it afterwords, but a superflow is a damn nice dyno in comparison to some of the others that are out there. Being that we don't have a lot of options out here in CO without driving a considerable distance (and then not getting it tuned at your home alt), it's a pretty decent option, IMO. But it's nice to build a relationship with someone local so that if things go pear-shaped, you have someone physically there to help you with troubleshooting.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts