Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the stock intercooler is a little small, and some folks mention the boost sags due mainly to heat soak.
So there are a few aftermarket intercoolers which solve this problem. trouble is they cost a lot to buy, and install, and generally need a tune added. So they are for the more serious go-fast folks.

My question is: Why not make up some sort of water spray to cool the stock intercooler?
This would work. Water has huge cooling ability And a fine spray across the outer fines of the stock intercooler could really help.
All it would take is a water source, a typical windshield wiper washer motor and cobbling up a proper spray device.maybe even just a pair of hood washer spray devices..

Googling this idea shows it is in use elsewhere. Some discuss actually running a valve into the winshield wasners so the spray is diverted to the cobbled together sprayers at the front of the intercooler. And if you had an electical hydraulic valve switch into the cabin. fast and easy to flip from windows to intercooler!
This is cheap, effective.

How about for the Focus ST.
Anyone with comments or ideas?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
As I did on my Amarillo, a bigger all alloy intercooler beats the stock oem one. How far are you willing to go w/ mods to your new st?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My post mentions that an aftermarket intercooler cost $500 to $1K plus the work to install. plus needs a tune.

A water cooling spray costs a few buck, a little ingenuity, and still helps up the power available (mainly by keeping the intercooler cooler..
I would have thought my 'cheap ass attitude' was clear in my post? [cheers]

But to spell it out. No way am I gonna blow money on something like an aftermarket intercooler .

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
It is not necessary to tune for an intercooler.

If all you want is to maintain the stock power levels you don't need to tune.

A tune is only required if you wanted to increase the performance by turning up the boost level.

The intercooler alone is just a supporting modification that allowed either increased durability alone or performance and durability.

My advice would be to try driving the car stock for awhile before deciding if you need an intercooler or water sprayer solution as only you can determine if it's an issue for you.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Wouldn't the active shutters around the intercooler always be open anytime the boost is used?
The whole point of cooling is to cool. The point of the intercooler is to cool. The shutters certainly would be responding to the intercooler heating up.

And true I have no idea how much this would be useful. But if the boost is dropping after being used for awhile.. The easiest point to attack with the least effort would be to cool off the heated up intercooler.

And.. since no one has done it. How exactly do you know it has no value? Guessing? True the active shutter is there. but like I wrote it is gonna always open if the boost is on.

Is this like "well it is cheap so it must be crap" thinking?
Not exactly starting shit. but when I get dissed I stand up and say what I find to be true. [thankyou]
I am not attempting to dis you the idea, just explaining how you don't have to tune for a larger intercooler.

This is with the active grille shutters closed, but even when open they don't allow for wide open air flow around the intercooler.

The reason why no one has done it is not because water doesn't work, but that it's a bandaid solution in their minds and they elect to do the surgery instead.

However my suggestion to drive the car stock was not an insult, it was merely a suggestion to get used to the car and see if your driving warrants the investment in either a nozzle kit or an intercooler.

If you're not experiencing the ill effects of the stock intercooler blocked by the grille shutters and heat soaking then you won't even need the cheap DIY intercooler sprayer solution or a cheap DIY intercooler which can also be had from around $200 or so if you were willing to fabricate it.

http://pandamotorworksstorefront.bi...-focus-st-front-mount-intercooler-v2-cxracing

There is one currently available as a semi pre-made DIY kit for just $370 right now.

The physics works, although it would be most effective to combine a more efficient intercooler with the water spraying system to get the most benefit.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I deleted my response as I am a hot head, and figured I was not really listening.LOL
I guess you can grab it back anyway.

Thanks for not being mad at me, but instead further explaining your point. [twothumbs]

·
Registered
592 Posts
They make kits you can adapt a nitrous kit to spray on the Intercooler. Another option would be to add a water/ meth injection kit

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why do any kind of water cooling on the stock intercooler. Thats like spending money to put a band aid on it.

Order a PandaMotorWorks FMIC, it is the least expensive and no drilling required, to my knowledge.

Cost of a water methanol setup, even if you piece it together will result around 300-350. You could spend that towards a new FMIC, pull the old one, and sell the old one for someone looking to stay stock or use on a goofy side project for roughly 50 dollars to 100 dollars.

Lower IAT's pre throttle body and you're on your way to fun in the sun!

You do not need to tune for a intercooler, however, if you do a tune you're going to want to get a bigger fmic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to get the flamethrower out but this is a complete bonehead idea. For the water to have an effect, it has to be on long enough to absorb heat. It would be blown through and off before it could do any good. For the time and effort spent, just go with a cheap intercooler if your that worried about iat. If not, then your not going to miss the performance gain with it. Horsepower is very expensive at the end of the day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Co2

Some time ago i saw CO2 kits to cool thermal exchangers like the Intercooler or Radiator. There are fins that open and close in front of the Intercooler which may interfere with your options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts