Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure is quiet in here

I feel like I've basically reached an endpoint performance-wise, but thought I'd ask here in case I missed any worthwhile upgrades.

Current Mods:
-FSWerks Stealth Exhaust
-OBX Header
-Rebel Devil Custom's Tune (❤)
-TB upgrade
-Green Filter (Stock Airbox)
-Snorkel Delete
-Added select-shift+paddles

I know you might see this and think, why no CAI? I have been deciding on if it's worth getting one at this point. I live in one of, if not, the hottest (liveable) city in the US, so typical spring/ summer temps are 100+, with mid-summer temps sitting around 115+, like they are right now. Come fall/ "winter", temps will drop towards high 70's, mid 80's. I'm just wondering if a CAI is going to be worth it with such hot temps. I know the temp under the hood is going to be hotter, but I'm just debating $$ wise.
I had thought about doing something similar to the newmission mod as well, but again, I'd be grabbing hot air and possibly hotter air as it'd be closer to the burning hot asphalt.

Aside from that, I've only really thought about new MM's.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live in a hot climate too. Temps hangin out btwn 100-112 all July. Plus with my car being black it's pretty f'in miserable even with the AC cranked. You may want to look at a stock RS intake box as a hybrid CAI/stock setup. Price is way better than most legit aftermarket CAI, and I believe you'll get at least some benefit at speed. Plus it sounds good.
I've done a little bit of monitoring the intake temp vs ambient temp while driving around and the difference usually isn't more than about 10 degrees unless i'm sitting in traffic for an extended period.

If you haven't already done so you might want to consider installing the 180 t-stat to drop your engine temps a bit. You'll need the tune adjusted for it so the rad fan and shutters work in conjunction with the new t-stat setting ...I'm not sure if RD does that with their tunes...I'm not their biggest fan... but if that is an option for you then I'd recommend it.

And yes absolutely upgrade the RMM.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think the drop in filer with the newmission mod has shown such good gains that spending a lot on a CAI isn't worth it.

Also, how does the stealth exhaust and OBX header sound? Any videos?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the drop in filer with the newmission mod has shown such good gains that spending a lot on a CAI isn't worth it.

Also, how does the stealth exhaust and OBX header sound? Any videos?
Yeah kind of what I'm thinking of doing. Just worried about that weather.

I think it sounds pretty good to be honest! Definitely more used to how loud it is now compared to before with just a muffler delete, but still like it. It drones a bit as expected when all windows are up and you're sitting like mid RPM range, and is still able to be heard a bit cruising 80 on the highway in 6th but nothing your music won't drown out.

Louder for sure. I don't really think it sounds ricey or anything either. This setup still produces a fairly low sound for a 4cyl imo, so it's nothing like rattling cans lol

Video wise, I don't have anything, but youtube might! If anything, I can probably gather some footage tomorrow or the next day and throw some up if there isn't much else around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turbo LOL

Tom
Don't worry lol if I could afford that right now, I would have placed the order! Always wanted an ST, but would also love to turbo an SE to be a bit unique. We'll see down the line.

Any input on the CAI situation/ decision?

·
Registered
11 Posts
We hit 300 whp stock SE Engine 5 speed , have a few doing that now

Tom
Hi Tom,

If we were to go the turbo route, would a stock dct box be able to take it? I’d be pretty happy to make just 250 as a conservative tune. Would hot climates 100 year round at sea level be able to reach that number safely?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in a hot climate too. Temps hangin out btwn 100-112 all July. Plus with my car being black it's pretty f'in miserable even with the AC cranked. You may want to look at a stock RS intake box as a hybrid CAI/stock setup. Price is way better than most legit aftermarket CAI, and I believe you'll get at least some benefit at speed. Plus it sounds good.
I've done a little bit of monitoring the intake temp vs ambient temp while driving around and the difference usually isn't more than about 10 degrees unless i'm sitting in traffic for an extended period.

If you haven't already done so you might want to consider installing the 180 t-stat to drop your engine temps a bit. You'll need the tune adjusted for it so the rad fan and shutters work in conjunction with the new t-stat setting ...I'm not sure if RD does that with their tunes...I'm not their biggest fan... but if that is an option for you then I'd recommend it.

And yes absolutely upgrade the RMM.
ALL: I'm a TX resident and it gets pretty darn hot here in the summer. I have tried a few diff window tints over the years on the Focus models and my other cars. First off, realize window tint should be functional, not just 'a look' to enhance your ride appearance. If you spend a couple hundred on a top-tier ceramic (AKA heat-rejecting) window tint job all around you will wonder how you ever lived without it...seriously, you will. This is the single best upgrade you can spend money on to be comfortable in the summer and help out your struggling A/C system and is the same stuff they put on high-end cars. Of course, you should also get a full coverage windshield sun shield for when you park in the sun too. I can now get in my car when it is boiling outside and the interior is warm, but never hot. No more burning my hand on the gear shift. I start the car before removing the windshield screen to allow the A/C to get going and it's a beautiful thing. Also, when you need to recharge your A/C system (or proactively perhaps), put in some synthetic refrigerant like AC/Pro...etc, and you will be amazed how well it works. Mine blows ice from the vents now and I used to suffer horribly in the summer heat. It's even cold at idle speeds now. Say it with me: Ceramic tint-job and service your A/C system. Be happy:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts