Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I am scheduled to get my new stereo put into my 2012 SE next week some time. I'm replacing all the speakers, adding an 8" sub, using JL Audio's Cleansweep so I can keep factory radio (minus the volume knob) and using Alpines MRX-V60 digital amplifier. I figured before I 100% do the upgrade I'd ask the forum whether anyone has attempted anything like this and if they've had any problems arise as a result.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey guys,

So I am scheduled to get my new stereo put into my 2012 SE next week some time. I'm replacing all the speakers, adding an 8" sub, using JL Audio's Cleansweep so I can keep factory radio (minus the volume knob) and using Alpines MRX-V60 digital amplifier. I figured before I 100% do the upgrade I'd ask the forum whether anyone has attempted anything like this and if they've had any problems arise as a result.
Tony has done a few speaker installs on his already without much trouble. My guess is you shouldn't have any major issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did the JL audio Cleansweep in my 2006 ST with the Sony premium system. I upgraded to JL speakers up front with an amp. I did not like the sound and eventually went with a Sony aftermarket deck and go rid of the Cleansweep. The after market decks sounds so much better (has the same amp and speakers I was using with the factory deck and Cleansweep system).

·
Registered
239 Posts
From what I saw, the JBL MS8 looked better since it retains your factory volume control. Though I think it is more expensive.

I'd love to know how to get behind the radio if anybody could give me any hints...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second the recommendation for the JBL MS-8. I've just installed one and am still in the process of tweaking it, but it allows you to maintain 100% of the stock interface, including the volume control. Aftermarket head units are pretty much a non-starter with many of today's integrated electronics systems. I don't expect this trend to reverse, so those of us who like to tweak audio systems should get used to working around it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mattlqx,
To get behind the radio on my se, I have to remove the small black plastic piece facing downward in the center, located just in front of the shifter. The piece is about 5" wide. There are two torx screws behind it which will allow you to get to the radio. Hope this helps.

I will be installing an Audio Control LC2i this weekend to add an amp and sub, and hopefully an amp and all new door speakers later this month. I will let everyone know how the AC LC2i works.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mattiqx,

Thanks for the information of how to get behind the stereo. Also, I am still going to stick with the JL Audio CleanSweep unless I can find a little extra money for the MS8. Where were you thinking of installing the amp and line controller? I looked, and basically it is limited to the trunk somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts