Focus Fanatics Forum banner

any special tool needed to compress calipers?

31K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  joecicalese 
#1 ·
do the focus calipers compress with a normal compression tool or do I need the box adapter looking thing to spin the piston?

Thanks guys

#6 · (Edited)
For front Focus calipers, no special tool is needed to push the piston into the caliper. For Focus rear disc brake calipers, yes you will need a tool to rotate the piston in order to compress the piston into the caliper. Richard Bridgette, Huntersville, NC.
I tried using one of the square ones at school the other day, it didn't work. None of the dies fit in the piston. Had to use a fancy air powered one that compresses the piston while you spin it against the screw.
Thanks for letting us know. I was planning on painting my calipers and I might need to get one of these if I decide to spray paint them and can't get it back on...

#11 ·
I don't think so. The piston has to turn while it is being compressed. I believe it is called a combination caliper. The piston is pushed out and drawn back in by an acme screw; either the piston or the screw is turning. In our case, the focus rear calipers most likely turn the piston on a fixed thread as there are no locating tabs on the interior rear brake pads.

In short, no, a clamp and pad won't work. You need to be able to turn the piston on the screw while compressing it.

EDIT:: Praton - I just clicked on your link... Sorry for not doing that first! Yes, that is exactly what you need! Just make sure the dies that come with it will fit the focus pistons. We tried that exact same one, and it didn't have the correct die. Could very well have just gone missing though... Anyhow, we switched to a new air powered one that was pretty cool and set that piston back real quick.

#16 ·
If the rear disc pistons have to spin in, you can break calipers and c-clamps all day long. I used to rip people who insisted on buying c-clamps to use on rears and then brought them back one hour later broken in two and claiming they were bad parts. Guess what, they didn't get a refund there. Stupidity has a cost.

#19 ·
If you've used a renter tool from O'Reilly and liked the way it works, you can go back and specify you don't want the beat up renter, you want to buy a new version of it and they will be happy to do so at same price.

#20 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.