Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for a speaker with <20 hz response and output of somewhere around 200 watts, possibly a 15" any suggestions?

also, in general, any brands that are recommended? not recommended? (new to the audio scene, any and all help greatly appreciated)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Since you stated 15" I will assume you mean a Subwoofer. There are plenty of 12" subs that will hit lower than that. I have a Crossfire BMF w12d. It has dual voice coils and will handle 350 watts RMS or continuous power. It hits low and punches great. It also doesn't need a huge box like a 15" does.

Brands I Recommend:
Crossfire, JL Audio, Memphis, MTX, and Audiobahn, and Bazooka Tubes.

Not Recommended:
Sony, Legacy and the other cheap subs (They blow easily), Kicker(Unless you want to drive thw solo-barics), and Bazooka subs(Not Tubes)

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
if you really want 15", I'd recommend that you get a strong cone, Eclipse makes a titanium cone 15 and also an aluminum cone 15. Both of these are very powerful but require a bit of power to drive. As far as any other companies, MTX also makes a strong 15.

·
Registered
845 Posts
MTX makes a nice 15", but I think it's 500watt rms & 1000watt peak.....
Check ebay for a good deal on one or another brand (don't buy off brand cheap stuff though)
Also, don't buy a sub because it has a metallic cone...that doesn't mean it's the most rigid, and metal has a high resonate frequency which may cause distortion (I would hope the manufacturer takes this into consideration when picking materials though).

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
With 200 watts you need an efficent sub and a quality enclosure. With only 200 watts i tihnk it'd be a little quiet for you in a sealed box so i'd suggest getting a ported box built specificly to the subwoofer. If your also limited by cost you might want to check out edesignaudio.com , they have great subs for the money, the A series would probably suit you best, the k series are very good sound quality though.

- Scott

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am pretty going for great quality, but it doesn't have to be too powerful since i don't plan on playing music for the whole neighborhood, i just want to hear/feel the whole range. money is a concern, but i could see shelling out a little more for a better quality speaker. i still don't know how i want to set up my audio, but i may move down to 12" as long as they hit the lows

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
a 12" will definately hit the lows. I'm fairly certain that many 12's will get you down at or near the 20Hz range, which is about as low as I can imagine needing to ever go. If you decide to go with a 12" there are many more options out there for quality 12" subwoofers. Eclipse, Rockford Fosgate, JL, MTX and many many others.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Katulec,

The first thing you should not worry about is a speaker that plays down to 20hz. Most subs will play that low in the right kind of box. I have built boxes using 8s that played down to 25hz so its not a matter of speaker size. Its a matter of power and the box you put the speaker in. If you want low bass but dont want to alert the whole neighborhood a bandpass or ported box will do very well. If you use a 10 with a lot of power you can produce just about any sub frequency you want. A 12 in a sealed box will drop well also but the size of the box will determine how low the speaker will play and how much power it will take.

As far as 15s go. Unless you are planning on jamming a ton of power into it I would not recommend a 15. They are so power hungry, slow and inefficient that they dont work well on low power. You have to really juice them to get good sound.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, now i'll probably go for a 12. should i get 1 or 2? does it really matter? also, are pioneer speakers any good? saw some cheap at a cheap store that begins with a 'w'. now i can't spend as much as i thought. basically, i'll get speakers if my parents have a problem with me gettin an exhaust (for christmas)

·
Registered
31 Posts
How many speakers you get depends on whether you are looking for sound quality or volume. If you go with one, you can spend more and get a better speaker and always have the intent on adding another at some point. The better speaker will reproduce the sound better, take more power and last longer. If you want volume then go with 2 12's. I personally have never liked the low end Pioneer speakers. If you want inexpensive yet quality speakers, go with the Rockfords if you like paper subs or JL if you like poly subs. My recommendation on which of the 2 materials to go for is this.. If you live in a fairly dry climate such as california, arizona, etc then I think that paper cone speakers produce a more natural and realistic sound. If you are in a more damp area that gets cold in the winter and the possibility of moisture getting in your car from condensation or cold is high. The poly speaker is a better way to go. They will not breakdown from the moisture and they will distort less due to changing temperatures.

What kind of music do you listen to?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i live in louisiana, so it's humid sometimes, but never "cold." i'd say coldest it gets around here is about 30F on those really frigid days [:p]

i mostly listen to evanescence, but i also listen to other rock, alternative, new age. won't listen to rap; country not wanted but i can stand it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts