Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if anyone has a sedan and a 1 sub setup. I hear the focus, even the sedan, is very good with bass. I just want to know if I can get a good performance out of 1 12" sub, perhaps 1000 watt. I'd also like to save the extra space if i could, instead of some huge box for 2 12's. As long is dont sound like crap. Any input welcome. Thanks!

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
I have 1 10" and it does very well. You should be alright with a big 12, but just a quick note, check the volume needed for the sub to perform properly, you might end up building a big box just to get the volume right.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I like this single sub Rockford Fosgate Box that i saw. I was thinking of getting 1 12" Sub and doing it that way. Even if I do need a slightly larger than avergae box, it still wouldnt be as big or as heavy as a 2 sub box. I need all the trunk space I can save..lol

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
what kind of budget are you working on? there are lots of factors to consider. money, what amp will power it, generaly don't go by name brands (not that RF is bad but for the money there is much better), where will you buy it from (retail sotres only carry certain brands and you can get really good deals on the itnernet on better equipment), what size the box is and what type (if you get a ported box itll be alot louder than a sealed but needs more space and a custom box; also, different subs perform better in differnt types of boxes; if the box is too big it can severely cut down on the life of the sub and if tehre is too much power in a box that is too big it will cut down on it's life; bracing in the box is important if you have a big box; most pre-fab boxes aren't very good quality, a custom box is cheaper and alot more effective), what kind of bass are you looking for (sound quality vs. plain loud vs in the middle), etc etc, tehre are more things but i can't think of it right now.answer those and i'll try to help you if you'd like me to.

- Scott

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot scott. The budget im not really concerned with, i mean Im not gonna go spend 5 grand on my audio, but my box is only a small part of my setup. I was just curious as the the effect of 1 sub versus 2, since I heard the focus is good for bass generally. I was thinking of buying the speakers online, then I just have to find out where to get it all set-up. If I do orders the subs off the net, Im def going toward the custom box. I will be replacing all my factory speakers, getting tweeters, probly MB Quart, because I had them in my Cutlass, and liked how they sounded. I dont want mad bass and nothing else. I wanna have a good amount of thump, but i want clear vivid vocals also. Im not for a car that just vibrates to hell and you cant even understand the music..lol if i do wind up going to a retailer, Id probly use tweeter audio, the only other retailers that do complete setups liek that around my way are circuit city and best buy..lol i dont think so! and like i said im not worried about th emoney so the amp will come with the package. once i plan it out, ill simply save until i have enough to build the entire thing. Im not going peice by piece. Im thinking income tax [:)] but let me ask you this. You say for the amount of money, they are better things than rockford fosgate, could you give me a few examples. Subs and amps. The mids and tweeters Ill work on, but the subs and amp would be my main concern. head units and all I got covered. In my old cutlass I had MB quart tweeters, boston acoustic 6", 3 mtx rolling thunder 10's, a 1000 watt lanzar amp and a kenwood ph250 amp. (almost all of which was bouth on the street) I'd like to keep this setup in the same brand and fashion mostly. Thanks for your advice!

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Moving up from Rockford, and depending on what you are looking for, it sounds like you are looking for a good Sound Quality sub instead of an SPL sub. In which case, I'd suggest things such as an eclipse sub, possibly a higher end JL (W7), MTX makes a decent higher end sub. Sa_pyro_ne recommends a company I haven't heard of before, but he stands behind them pretty strongly so they can't really suck. For what it sounds like to me, you'd be good for a ported sub, or maybe even a sealed/ported box design. Whatever you decide, make sure to find out how much air the sub needs. If it gets too much or too little it will suffer. Make sure you get the proper amp for it. I like Eclipse and Directed Amps, both have great features and design with a variety of options (multichannel, mono) the Directed has a very nice 5 channel called the 1100d5, Directed is the company that makes the Viper security system. you can get more info by going to www.directed.com If I were you, I'd also suggest that you power at least the fronts in your car. The rears I wouldn't run components, I'd run just a nice set of 6x8s and the components up front, power all 4 and keep the gains down on the rear. That should give you enough power to compensate for the added bass that you'll be getting from the sub. Good luck with it, and have fun, let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that whats imt alking about!! thanks a lot guys! Im also a fan of JL, but as far as in-store prices i see around here JL is more than Fosgate, as is eclipse. But ill def look into it all thoroughly before making any steps in buying. Thanks for all your help, ill be sure to reply and post pics when I get it set up. [thumb]

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
all that RPIJG was pretty good advice, i agree with most of it except about the componets vs 6x8's, getting some componets and putting a good 120 or so watts to them would be alot better than 6x8s, and i also think rear fill isn't a good idea, it will mess up your imaging (where your brain percieves the sound coming from), if you have rear speakers the pahtlength that the sound travels going to your ear will be shorter, this gives you a "confused" type of imaging, i'd suggest some cdt componets, i have the cl-61a's that i got for $150 shipped, they are great, i have them getting 125 watts a peice, cdt has the carbon fiber series that can handle more power which makes the sound even clearer, check them out at www.thezeb.com for the best prices. amp wise for value you can check out www.avionixxusa.com, i have one of these on the componets in my car, us acoustics makes some really inexpensive amps that put out alot of power if you wanted to use them for componets, check thezeb.com for that too, jl makes some good amps, check out the jbl bp1200.1, for $200-$250 this puts out i think 1200 watts at 2 ohm (perfect for a dual voice coil subwoofer) but i've heard many people wiring it down to 1 ohm, so it's a sturdy amp that can put out alot, check ikesounsd.com and ebay, ebay has some good prices for that amp, and you can check thezeb.com, sounddomain.com, and ebay for hifonics amps that put out alot of power for not a bad price, especialy the brutus series, moving on to subs,the company RPIJG said i talk highly of is elemental designs, i have a 12k series sub, the k seires is for sound quality mainly, the kx series is just a stripped down bare bone k series, the o series are aimed for SPL (loudness baiscally) but for a cheaper price, and the A series is just plain loud from what i hear but is up there with the others in prices but still very reasonable and a good deal, you order directly from the factory/compnay for those ( www.edesignaudio.com ), but jl makes some nice high end subs for a little larger of a price, can't go wrong with the w7 if you have the money, a couple others you've probably never heard of are RE (Resonant Engineering) with their XXX that i hear is really good (http://www.respl.com/), and adire supposely has some really good subs also (http://www.adireaudio.com/) hope that helps.

- Scott

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
I think I must have confused something, I would never run 6x8's in the front, components are the way to go up front, I was suggesting 6.8's in the back, if properly tuned this will provide a much better sound stage for ALL occupants. Especially if we are talking about a sedan here. There is a great difference in sound staging with the sedan versus the zx3 for some reason. I have some 6x8's in the rear, the gain is down a bit and the fade is 4 clicks to the front, this gives the people in the back the proper sound stage (which wasn't hard considering the speakers are in the doors and not the rear deck) and doesn't mess up the imaging in the front. It took me 4 days to tune the system correctly, methodically with a tonal analyzer and an spl, but I have recieved some local acclaim for it.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
my bad sorry, i read it real quick, i was in a hurry, if you want to do 4 speakers you can, but i just like the idea of taking the money that you'd spend for another pair of speakers for the rear and put that into better componets or amps.

- Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idea for single 12" sub in sedan... (I will be doing this in a few weeks). Build sealed box to mount up against the bottom of the rear deck. Approx box dimension 8"x16x32" depending on desired airspace. Sealed box with sub firing down. I have decided to do this to maintain full functionality of trunk spac, and too hide the sub for security purposes (somewhat hidden). If you are not looing to show off your sub then i'd consider this. Anyone who is thinking that this installation will decrease sound quality should consider that sound will be shitty anyaways comming out of a trunk and the differnce will not be noticeable.

Amp will be mounted underneath fron seat. I have an 800 Watt RF sub and 800 watt amp. Sounded great in my ranger, just need to find some time to build the box for the focus.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
another idea for a sub install could be either a false floor, spare tire well enclosure, or right on the side walls of the trunk. either way you can take a peice of mdf and drill 1 inch holes in it alot of them) and then stretch a thin fabric like grill cloth over it and use it at a grill. so then you can still put stuff ontop of it and don't have to worry aobut damaging the subwoofer.

- Scott

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
with it mounted to the rear deck you are going to have TONS of extra rattles and vibrations, that thing isn't really designed to hold anything up. It isn't very strong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts