Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still driving my 2004 euro SVT focus. Just curious how the ST compares. Anyone with experience in both? Care to share your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I owned a Contour SVT bought in Dec 1998, kept for 13 years.
Drove it over 100,000 miles.
Loved it. I could not find a car i wanted to replace it, from Ford. Until the MK3. So I bought a 2012 Mk3 SE sport package manual tranny.(Before the ST came to USA.)
Now i have ordered a ST.
So my ride was a SVT, but not a Focus SVT.[hihi]

I would say the ST is kind of the successor to the Contour SVT as well as the Focus SVT.
(Certainly a Fusion ST would be a successor to the Contour SVT also. but a Fusion ST would cost near $40 grand if they made one now, and it is clear they have NO plans for a Fusion ST.)
So the Focus ST is closer to what i think of when I remember my Contour SVT. (Price of the Contour SVT back in 1998 was $22,800. With inflation the ST3 is right on target at $30,000.
Smaller, but more power.

The Fiesta ST is also a step closer to the Focus SVT.. The Fiesta ST is more of a kindred spirit to the Focus SVT ... IMO more so than the Focus ST3

Cars tend to grow as the models get on in remakes..

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just got my 2003 Focus SVT, but have had my ST for about 2 years. I had a zx3 before the ST as well. Personally, the car is a lot bigger and heavier, and you will notice that. The power difference is insane though, and you'll notice that too lol. MPGs are better in the ST, obviously, since there's about 10 years of technology difference in them. Speakers in the ST are nice, but the SVT ones are half decent too. This is my first boosted car, and I must say it is really nice to not have to shift on the freeway to make a simple passing move.

Care to ask any specific questions about specific differences you want to know about?

I will agree the Fiesta ST is more like the "old focus" than the Focus ST is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I owned a Contour SVT bought in Dec 1998, kept for 13 years.
Drove it over 100,000 miles.
Loved it. I could not find a car i wanted to replace it, from Ford. Until the MK3. So I bought a 2012 Mk3 SE sport package manual tranny.(Before the ST came to USA.)
Now i have ordered a ST.
So my ride was a SVT, but not a Focus SVT.[hihi]

I would say the ST is kind of the successor to the Contour SVT as well as the Focus SVT.
(Certainly a Fusion ST would be a successor to the Contour SVT also. but a Fusion ST would cost near $40 grand if they made one now, and it is clear they have NO plans for a Fusion ST.)
So the Focus ST is closer to what i think of when I remember my Contour SVT. (Price of the Contour SVT back in 1998 was $22,800. With inflation the ST3 is right on target at $30,000.
Smaller, but more power.

The Fiesta ST is also a step closer to the Focus SVT.. The Fiesta ST is more of a kindred spirit to the Focus SVT ... IMO more so than the Focus ST3

Cars tend to grow as the models get on in remakes..
I too came from a SVT Contour, but I still have mine. It's a 99 with 223K miles. Still a great car, but the ST would run circles around it. A bone stock SVT Contour with a 3.0L swap is more comparable to a Focus ST.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts